Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Light sleeping mats – best/best value?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I may be in the market for a new mat – I’m getting a new Hyalite under warranty but prefer rectangular-ish shape so may move it on and upgrade.

Previous research suggested Neoair are the best and Exped nearly so – heavier but better value.

Is there a sweet spot? 3-season use, comfort is king, I’m prob happy to splash out on a Neoair if the comfort makes the sleep better!

boblo
    Free Member

The Neo Air is no longer the king of lightness. There’s other stuff around that looks a bit like the old hairnet cycling helmets, lighter but not sure if as comfy. The latest Neo Air is lighter and apparently warmer. I’ve used mine down to minus 7°c with no ill effects. I must have nearly 150 nights on mine now after a couple of long trips. The main downside is you need to blow it up. Not really an issue for the odd night but a bit of a pain for 50 of them on the trot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers. While weight, bulk and price are all factors, comfort and value are the most important!

Inflation seems a requirement on anything lightweight.

40mpg

Alpkit Airo

or Numo

Both £40. aERO GIVES A BIT MORE INSULATION, nUMO A BIT MORE COMFORT

Edit: damn fat fingers and caps lock!

boblo
    Free Member

We’ve done the Alpkit recomendations before. Cheap, not very light/compact, but good warranty as they tend to fail. I had/have a Fat Airic that went at the seam. Replaced no problem but after a cold, uncomfy few nights.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems neoairs on top of the list – no need for inflator and no inners to rot out with moisture.

The Xlite save 200gm over the all season – I am guessing the latter will be quite a bit more durable?

wallace1492
    Free Member

I have a Therm a Rest 3/4 when needing more comfort, and a 1/2 length when weight is an issue, i.e. cycle touring. Covers shoulders and hips and is pretty warm and never had an issue. Both were about £60, and never needed anything else, used for a good number of years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

still standing by my neoair al.

Was a sceptic till i tried it and im yet to have any issues it ….

still miles miles warmer than the conventional thermarest it replaced and infinately comfier – wish itd been around when i was touring NZ.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Yep Neo air light, full length one for me! super comfy. ~400g worth every penny

did try a KLYMIT INERTIA X-FRAME SLEEPING PAD @~ 280g which are great if you are a back sleeper but I’m too wriggly to make it work for me.

I have it somewhere if anyone is interested in a sale!

boblo
    Free Member

Klymit, that’s the hairnet kiddie. Al, go for the Xlite regular unless you’re planning 90% winter camping on snow (or are a dwarf). The original Neo Air is made of that lightweight crinkly crisp packet material and mine is now 4 years/150 nights old with no problems. Of course it’ll puncture if you’re careless/unlucky but take a repair kit with you. I do regardless of which air mat I’m using.

jamiep
    Free Member

Another for the alpkit aero. I was amazed how warm it is

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all. Blimey that Kermit thing is crazy!

flatfish
    Free Member

Exped downmat 7 UL.

Had a love/hate affair with my Neoair until I got my down mat, now I hate the Neoair.
    SOOO much more comfort for only a small amount of extra packsize and 200 or so grams extra.

They come with a schnozzle bag to blow it up too. No dizziness that you get with the neoair.

AlexSimon

Those Klymit things look like you’d need to sleep completely still.
    Absolutely no use for a wriggler like me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

flatfish – why? Given the expeds have 7cm circular sections, that works out similar to the 6cm for the neoair?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Vaude Norrsken – superb comfort, warm as it has some insulation, very lighweight, packs very small, not “crisp packet” material, cheaper than a neo-air. All round winner 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve tried an Exped and Neoair. The Neo air rolls up to about ~ 2/3 the bulk of the Exped. Both are equally comfy. But as Boblo says blowing one up night after night is a pain. The Exped has an internal inflator.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

It’s the rolling them up every morning I hate!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thermarest do an inflation thingmy you can stick in a stuffsac to make it an inflator.

Synmat UL has no internal pump.

boblo
    Free Member

It’s only a problem if you’re using them day in week out. Normal use, you’ll be fine.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Another vote for Alpkit.

johnnystorm

My Thermarest Neoair Xtherm came with a stuff sac with built in inflator. Top bit of kit IMHO.

flatfish
    Free Member

The Neoairs ribs run width ways and I’ve always felt like I’m balancing on top of it all night even with loads of air let out to make it more comfortable, making it a restless night.
    The Exped runs length ways with the two outer ribs being slightly bigger than the inner ones so it effectively holds you on the mat. I’m quite a fidgeter whilst I sleep so this is good.
    Having used the Neoair for 2.5 years, I thought it was pretty good, even in winter I didn’t feel cold from underneath. Using the Downmat made me realise how much warmth is lost to the ground, it also means I can use a lighter sleeping bag or quilt to stay warm.
    I’ll keep my Neoair but probably only use it for the middle of summer.(If we have one this year)

boblo
    Free Member

@flatfish… Or sell it to Al, sounds like he might like it 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK so of those who have used both neoair and exped the latter is winnign slightly. I felt cold-shouldered when trying a mate’s neoair the other night.

Thing is I fancied a large mat as I feel constricted on the regular size and the exped down weighs 750gm :0

boblo
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I felt cold-shouldered when trying a mate’s neoair the other night.

Why, did you nick it off him? 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I now have a spreadsheet of the 5 contenders (price, R-value, weight) to stare at for several hours 😀

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Do have a look at the Vaude Norrsken – it also has the two outer channels bigger than the others to prevent you rolling off, and it has insulation inside. I got it for a lot cheaper than the Neo-Airs and Alpkits, not sure of prices now, but I’m sure you too can work google!

d45yth
    Free Member

It takes a few goes with a Neoair to work out how much air you need in them…which is less than you think. Go Outdoors have been selling them for not much more than Alpkit ones! They’ve also had an 15% off offer on but that finishes today.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TA – G-O aren’t doing neoairs cheap as far as I can see.

Vaude not cheap anywhere wither, heavier and unknown R-value!

d45yth
    Free Member

G-O aren’t doing neoairs cheap as far as I can see.

Ah, they must have sold out, they had been doing them for £60!

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBH if any of the high R value mats were on offer anywhere that’d prob clinch it.

flatfish
    Free Member

The Downmat UL 7 M at the best price I could find.

Expeds

Edit
    Cheaper

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers – saw that. I am thinking of an L mat as I feel constricted on an M and think a bigger one might help sleep.

flatfish
    Free Member

How tall are you Al?
    I’m 6′ and find the M big enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

6’1″ – it’s more width and wriggling around.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well my replacement Hyalite arrived….**** me it’s light! 370gm!

boblo
    Free Member

Which one is it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm Peak Elite AC I think? R is 4.4 in the middle and 2.5 at the extremes.

The taper shape to it puts me off.

boblo
    Free Member

Oh dear, heavier and packed size larger than the NeoAir….. What were the deciding factors in choosing that over the alternatives?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Light sleeping mats – best/best value?’ is closed to new replies.