• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by core.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Light, rigid, budget 29er options
  • core

I have a Cotic Flare, but could do with something to pop into town on, (mile or two) cruise around the lanes on, and do some loaded bike packing with.

I’m thinking a reasonably lightweight, rigid 29er with bar ends and big apples or SB8’S or similar would fit the bill. I have some bits in the shed – brakes, stems, bars, bar ends, cranks, seatpost, saddle. I’ve had a scandal and would love another but they’re just not about, lots of on one options back in the day actually…

What should I be looking at? Frame, fork and wheels for now. New (cheap) or used.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    ton

size?

honourablegeorge

Brother cycles or Stooge

core

Large probably, I’m 6ft

dmorts

Radon?

25 EUR delivery charge though

martymac

Big apples are superb for this.

i had a set, and built up a surly karate monkey to go with them.

its a nice bike, but fails on the budget side of things.

mattbee

Andreas Rohen will be along soon to tell you about cheap Cube frames on bikediscount.de. They are cheap, but he does mention them in every single thread about frame buying so I assume he works for them. Abyway I’ve done his job for him now…

hopefiendboy

will be selling a large 29er setup soon if u r interested

Daffy

I’d go Chinese Carbon from eBay for the frame and fork.  Then some destickered Mavic wheels and the cheapest 1*10 drivetrain I could buy that was also black.  Coupled to some Schwalbe G One 29*2.35 Tyres

my math reckoned this could be done for ~£500 and would be around 20lbs in weight.

martymac

Daffy. Hard to argue with that tbh

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Andreas Rohen will be along soon to tell you about the EWS standings and how Canyon are number 1, but that he has a bossnut, and it’s an awesome trail bike, but wouldn’t last 10 minutes at EWS ad nauseum….

FTFY mate. 😉

cookeaa

If you’ve got a direct mount chainset and a 28t ring maybe play a bit of OO/PX roulette:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTICH29JP/titus-el-chulo-29er-aluminum-hardtail-frame-28t

if you can find some nice long forks to correct for a 130mm ish fork of course…

core

I was just sick in my mouth a bit at the sight of that Titus

core

@Daffy – any recommendations on frames/suppliers not likely to get me killed to death?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Light, rigid, budget 29er options’ is closed to new replies.