Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Light charging etiquette
  • andeh

So, I’ve got one of the C&B Seen 1200lm jobbies and, although I’m very pleased with it’s performance, I’m a little hesitant charging the thing up.

My night rides (local stuff) are only about 1.5 hours, in general, which leaves my light about half empty, I think. Do these batteries develop a shorter memory if I charge them from half empty? I mean, I think they should be fine for 2 rides but if I were to charge from half full a few times, it wouldn’t cause a problem…..would it?

Cheers
    Andy

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No. Charge em up. 18650 cells shouldnt get a memory effect. But realise that each they tend to have a number of charge cycles before they become just a bit crap. You can buy a replacement pretty cheap though – assuming a common connector type.

neninja
    Free Member

The main sensitivities with Li-ion cells are
    – they like charge cycles so running them down to 40-50% and recharging is good. Every so often run them until the light shuts down and recharge.
    – over charging – there should protection within the battery pack and charger so this should not be a problem.
    – storage. They don’t like being stored for long time periods in a deep discharged state. Better to charge them to at least 40-50% and store them charged. A fair few people finish their last ride of the night riding season and put the light away with the battery not charged. By the time they come to ride again the following Autumn the run-time of the cells has been seriously compromised.
    – deep discharge. There should be protection against this within the battery pack.
    – heat. Store them somewhere cool – don’t keep them in a hot car. They really don’t like being stored at higher temps.

andrewh
    Free Member

Assuming 3hr battery life an 1.5hr ride.
    Yes, they should last for two.
    Bit you will break somethng on the second ride, take 20 mins to fix it, and then run out of light and fall off a cliff and die.
    I would always take fully charged lights, or a spare battery. That would probably be the best option, if you have a spare battery you can use the half used one again and discharge it fully knowing that you can then just stick another in and recharge it properly when you get home.

federalski
    Free Member

Just leave it running in your house when you get home from your ride every now and again to drain it before charging if worried….

andeh

Cheers guys.

I do also use a Cree torch with a spare battery. I carry both batteries and swap when one runs out. Should be ok in the event of a mechanical.

andeh

Also, I did leave it running the first time I got in but it got fantastically hot and made me a bit anxious.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Light charging etiquette’ is closed to new replies.