New GoPro Hero3: just in time for Christmas :)

Home Forum Chat Forum New GoPro Hero3: just in time for Christmas :)

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • New GoPro Hero3: just in time for Christmas :)
  • Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I am annoyed by this, but not enough NOT to want to replace my only a few month old HD 2 with one…
    🙄

MrSparkle

Good news. Hopefully there will be some Hero 2’s for sale second hand now!

Looks nice but I think I’ll pass, having just bought a Hero 2 and the wi-fi bacpac last week 👿

atlaz

I’d go for the 199 dollar one quite easily. I doubt I’d video enough to warrant the expensive one.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Looks nice but I think I’ll pass, having just bought a Hero 2 and the wi-fi bacpac last week

Possibly not too late to return it if the packaging is in good nick?

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

720p at 120fps means that gratuitous slo-mo will be everywhere.

Tempted though 🙂

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

im I to assume that $400 = £400 by the time it gets over here?

Looks good but think i’ll stick to the hero 1 for now

Quite like the video though – was it all shot with a gopro? If so i wonder how they did the mini panning shot from the front on the motorbike (about 2 minutes 18)

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Subscriber

Well, if the release date is anything like the WiFi BacPac, a “December 2012” release is more likely to be “End of 2013. Maybe. Who are you, anyway?”

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

Wow. I was wondering if you could hack the cheaper ones to record the same quality as the black one but the lens is different. I am even more confused about which one to get now though.

I see the Sony one is up on their site but not available yet?

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-action-cam/hdr-as15/technical-specifications#tab

Milkie

It’s about time GoPro made something with similar features to the ContourGPS/+…
    Might, Probably, Will buy this. 🙂

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

hmm they have been a bit naughty editing in their promo video, at 31 seconds the sky is moving fast from a timelapse but the waves on the sea are moving normally/slowed down…

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

It’s worth noting that the official GoPro footage always looks much better than anyone’s normal efforts.

I don’t know whether they have access to less compressed files, or hand pick the best lens, or just have some amazing post-processing software, but I haven’t seen anybody’s amateur Hero 2 footage look as sharp, uncompressed, lacking in rolling shutter and clean as the official.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

hmm they have been a bit naughty editing in their promo video, at 31 seconds the sky is moving fast from a timelapse but the waves on the sea are moving normally/slowed down…

Why is that naughty? Easy enough to do in a decent video editor (e.g. Sony Vegas)

_tom_

Bigjim what’s wrong with that? So long as the footage came from the camera they claim it did then they can edit how they want – nothing to stop you editing it like that yourself! Saying that i do want to know how they get their footage looking so good, the hero 1 i borrowed was a bit shite.

Hoping this will mean the hero 2 will be cheaper now 😀

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Hmm shame the low light enhancement is only on the Black version

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Oooh GoPro have seriously upped the stakes in the “wobbly headcam footage of an IT manager bimbling down a fireroad” game:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A3PDXmYoF5U[/video]

Smaller lighter and now comes with built-in wifi.
    The (mighty pricey) Black Edition looks seriously impressive: 720p at 120fps, 1080p at 60fps, and even 4kp at 12fps.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

I don’t know whether they have access to less compressed files, or hand pick the best lens, or just have some amazing post-processing software, but I haven’t seen anybody’s amateur Hero 2 footage look as sharp, uncompressed, lacking in rolling shutter and clean as the official.

I’m not sure if using the new Protune software they’ve released is part of the reason but apparently it offers less compressed files amongst other things. Apparently it makes for better editing options.

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

Bigjim what’s wrong with that? So long as the footage came from the camera they claim it did then they can edit how they want – nothing to stop you editing it like that yourself! Saying that i do want to know how they get their footage looking so good, the hero 1 i borrowed was a bit shite.

It is a bit cheeky just saying it was all shot on a GoPro 3 but not saying it has been through fancy post processing/editing, and this is probably exactly why everyone says ooh why does their footage look so amazing compared to what I get. When I used to make audio demos for music software, we were always very transparent and clear if any further processing had been done on the audio clips like using a a limiter or compressor, but the general rule of thumb was you left it completely honest and untouched. Generally punters don’t like companies messing with their demo material, they want to see/hear the honest output of the product without any tarting up.

They did it on the HD2 promo too – touted the slomo capability of the new camera, then ran loads of footage through Twixtor on the promo, potentially giving the impression this footage was off camera.

In terms of the footage, they always shoot in great conditions with excellent light, not some damp forest in the UK, which really helps. I have some ski footage from clear days that is amazing – and some grainy rubbish using same settings on a cloudy day.

Camera looks great, very tempted, not least because the smaller lighter camera should be more stable on the mounts and better on the lid. WiFi option with no weighty backpack very tempting for framing shots from a smartphone too.

DrP

Although the Black is twice the price, you do get a lot more functions and accessories than the others…

DrP

Milkie

… Next big question… UK Release Date?

2 things –
    1 – they still won’t supply you with your choice of mounts so you’ll have fork out for the handlebar mount
    2 – why can’t they put the recording light/indicator on the top so that you can see it when the camera is mounted in front of you?

andymc06

I’m selling my GoPro HD Hero 1 if anyone is interested. Only used four times. Complete with all adhesive attachments, helmet strap, chest mount, waterproof and skeleton housing plus a carry case and 32gb class 10 card. Everything you need to record your gnarcore freeriding skills!

£175 posted.

Will chuck it on the classifieds shortly.

Cheers

Andy

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Ah someone woke Chipps up:

GoPro launch HD Hero 3

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Omar Little – Member

If so i wonder how they did the mini panning shot from the front on the motorbike (about 2 minutes 18)

Counterweighted boom on top of rider’s head, quite likely- can’t see the top of his helmet.

cmjdavies

Prices from Madison listed on the Singletrack home page.

GoPro Advert says Black is $400 = £264 but Madison selling for £359!

I’m aware of shipping and customs but they buy in bulk so I don’t get why they’re so much. Time to call a friend in America….

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Add VAT and it’s £316, but I still see your point.

Muke

Yeahh GoPro2 price drop maybe 😀 time to start looking around for a bargin

What would STW regulars film and edit with a go pro? Slo mo of bumbling up hill on a SS rigid fat bike?

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Well not me but I am willing to bet that there is some talent on here that could make a good film of that .

chewkw

cmjdavies – Member

Prices from Madison listed on the Singletrack home page.

GoPro Advert says Black is $400 = £264 but Madison selling for £359!

I’m aware of shipping and customs but they buy in bulk so I don’t get why they’re so much. Time to call a friend in America….

Ya, as usual companies will grab whatever they can as quickly as they can before the next version is in the market. In a way they are riding on the hype … just like those surfers surfing the wave while the wind is in their sail. Charge as much as they can get away with.

Ya, the marketing person in that company should be fired end off … trying to create hype and then trying to make it a premium product. I bet they will not last another 5 years once the far east companies get a sniff of the market.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Charge as much as they can get away with.

That’s the advice any business advisor would give any company.

TBH, marketing is their USP – A bit like Red Bull. People will pay a premium to know that they’ve got the definitive product.

(they also have great mounts)

matther01

Shameful, shameful marketing ploy…but its worked! I dont need one, but I sure as hell want one.

stumpy01

Aren’t Sony & JVC getting in on the act?

I’d be interested to see how they compare given their experience in the camcorder market.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

I went and had a look at the Sony and there’s some footage versus the GoPro2. The Sony looked sharper, but also very over-sharpened. The actual detail available wasn’t much better. Colour balance was better though. Much better.

I bet they will not last another 5 years once the far east companies get a sniff of the market.

Possibly, they’re a similar price to LED lights 2-3 years back before everyone said f*** it and bough P7 torches or MJ-808’s and the market seems to have responded with falling prices, and there’s those MD08’s everyone bought for £14 show similar could happenw ith cameras.

The analogy falls down becasue a £400 light is still just a gloryfied maglite and a factory in china could make them with little or no R&D as long as it worked and was cheep which was easy as everything apart from the case was off the shelf bits. A camera on the other hand is far more complicated, probably requiring far more R&D. But then the go-pro is still a cheep spec camera, no zoom, no focusing (that i know of). I’ve got bottom of the range compacts from 10 years ago that beat it in every way apart from resolution, waterproofness and mounts.

Just depends how big the market actualy is.

Premier Icon deus
    Subscriber

You can get a Liquid Image EGO for ~£150 which already has wifi built in, ok not got the spec of the Hero3, but is broadly comparible to the Hero2

I’ve got bottom of the range compacts from 10 years ago that beat it in every way apart from resolution, waterproofness and mounts.

Don’t forget image quality, sharpness, speed, functions, size, weight, battery life, robustness, compatibility, storage capacity, audio. 😉

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

But apart from that, what have the Romans GoPro ever done for us, eh?

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Graham S: – shot with GoPro
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgnYqbraGE[/video]

stumpy01

The main thing for me would be usability – as broadly speaking most decent products have got image quality pretty sorted.

I got a Veho Muvi thing as a present & it is ridiculously unusable. The mounts are all rubbish and cost a lot, plus for some of them (chest harness for example) you also need to buy the handlebar mount to get the little clip that fits the camera to the chest mount. They don’t include it in the chest mount kit.
    Then when u get it mounted, the button is very fiddly & there’s no confirmation if it has started recording or not apart from a small light that you can’t see if it’s mounted on your helmet. And it goes into standby after two mins, so to wake it you have to press the same button you use to record, but now you end up with two instances of ‘did I press that hard enough?’…

so, yeah for me usability would be pretty key, although not sure anyone wants to see me mincing around CyB, to be honest…

Say hello to buffering.

Buy GoPro3
    Buy new laptop
    Buy faster broadband

Repeat

Wish they’d spend some profit on sensors. The MTB bit in that vid looks poor in comparison because it’s under the trees not in the perfect light of a snowy mountain.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New GoPro Hero3: just in time for Christmas :)’ is closed to new replies.