Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Liberating a bike frame
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

At my station there is a bike with a sticker saying if this isn't collected within 7 days its getting scrapped. The sticker is 4 weeks old.

The bike is obviously abandoned flat tyres, no brakes, grips and in a very sorry state.

It has a 501 reynolds frame and I'm thinking of taking the car and liberating it for the purpose of a rebuild project.

It does have quite a sturdy lock but nothing that me and my saw can't handle. I'm not a thief but am pretty sure taking it would make me one.

What would you do?

njee20
    Free Member

Talk to the station staff.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Do it.

Who put the sticker on it, National Rail?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think SW trains.

kimbers

talk to the station staff

was a giant xtc hardtail outside my worktube station abandoned i slowly watched the parts get whittled away till was just the frame left and then some scumbag bent the frak out of the frame to get it off teh lock and failed was very sad

so yeah speak to the staff and ask if u can have it im sure theyll be fine with it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It would be theft and possibly criminal damage in law. Mortally? I dunno. 4 wks is not very long.

There is an abandoned bike on railings near mea that has been there for a year now. Only a cheapo lock as well that i could cut in seconds. Not much of a bike but some good tyres I want – I am tempted.

joolsburger
    Free Member

the station is unmanned apart from the part time ticket office and he "didn't know anything"

I'm going to call SW trains.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The bikes been there for at least 6 months the stickers been there 4 weeks.

Potdog
    Free Member

I just liberated a frame and few bits that has been left in our communal garage for about 18 months. No wheels, no saddle, crap components but now I've stripped it the frame is just over 4lbs. Not too bad for a rescue rebuild :o)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Now what should I wear I have a stripy bretton top but do you think balaclava or wolly hat and eye mask?

ourmaninthenorth

How about speaking to SW trains and saying that you want to retrieve your bike, but have lost the key for the lock and don't want them to remove it.

Disclaimer: the above post not to be take seriously..!

tthew

Could you perhaps put a laminated sign up in it's place with a hotmail or similar annonymous e-mail contact saying, 'i'm looking after your bike, contact me if you want it back'. If no-one, (who can adequately describe it) contacts you by the time the sign has degraded to a water filled pocket, and you've removed the waste, fair game I reckon.

alexpalacefan

Take it at once, it's unloved and needs to be rescued. You can always claim you're clearing up litter in the very unlikely ebent that anybody says anything.

When I do this I just get it over quickly and late a night, never had any bother.

Good luck,

Alex

coogan
    Free Member

I saw a bike in a shop window that been there for months! I'm 'avin' it…

flatfish
    Free Member

being a locksmith you be suprised at how little i get challenged for "stealing stuff".
    leagally of course.

Ambrose

Get flatfish to do it for you 😉

sv

Wear a fluor. yellow jacket/bib when you do it – looks more official 😉

Hammo
    Free Member

Yeah, do it!

I'd have it away in a jiffy, the sticker said 7 days didn't it?

loughor
    Free Member

JB. Retrieve the bike, hand it in at your local cop shop as found property. If not claimed in 30 days, it is then yours, and entirely legally.

Potdog
    Free Member

My liberated frame following an attack of the paint stripper variety 😛

Time to go buy some primer and paint now!

oldgit
    Free Member

Get yourself a big Burka before they get banned and hacksaw and jobs a good'un.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'd worry that if you just take it, it's theft. Suggest discussing it with the station manager and offering to remove it in exchange for keeping it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Liberating a bike frame’ is closed to new replies.