Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Lessons you never learn
  • johndoh
    Free Member

That’s not arguing that’s just contradiction!

No it isn’t!

scc999

Openining the oven and not moving my face out of the way before being hit by the heat wave.

Yep.

That alexpalacefan isn’t alexfacepalm

Yep.

When making more than one cuppa I fill the kettle a certain amount, take between one and three steps away from the sink, then doubt that I have put quite enough water in there. Go back to the sink and put a stupidly small amount more in.
    Not always – but then I sometimes dont have enough water for both cups – which reinforces the need for the above behaviour. I dont get why I can’t just put enough in every time? Idiot.

The other one is telling my OH the ACTUAL time we need (or I want) to leave the house when we go somewhere. This results in us leaving after that time. Sometimes by quite some margin. So we’re late to places. I have being late. I DESPISE being late. to me, it’s the height of rude / inconsiderate behaviour. So I should just tell the OH an earlier time than we need.
    I expect if I ever manage to routinely do this, she will cotton on pretty quickly when we are on time or even early.

anagallis_arvensis

could easily have finished it by now but for chronic procrastination.

When I was about 12 I had to write out the dictionary definition of procrastination 200 times, it was 5 lines long.
    Still leave everything to the last min…

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and shouting at bad drivers when on bike, I’m getting better and a camera has helped that but still I get into confrontations I could avoid

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That if I persevered with whatever direction I’ve tried to insert a USB plug, I’d get it right around 50% of the time. No, instead, I flip it at the merest hint of resistance, which I suppose puts my USB correct insertion hit rate at around 33%, leading me to mutter “bloody USB plugs – I always seem to choose the wrong direction…☹️“

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have never learnt that there is plenty of time to produce academic work in advance of the deadline given.

Because you need the fear. I love all-nighters the night before deadline day.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

The use of common sense and reasoning within any “discussions” with my other half…. you would think after 35 years i would have worked that out…

reluctantjumper

That I should tidy up as I go along, especially when it comes to DIY stuff.

Always end up with having to hunt a tool or part that I know I have but it’s sneaked under a rag, bit of packaging or other hidey-hole to taunt me. I work methodically and have things in place to do the job but I always get so engrossed in the task in hand that I lose track of where things are. I always finish with a tidy workspace at the end of the day though, that’s usually the point where I find the long-lost part or tool.

I have never learnt that there is plenty of time to produce academic work in advance of the deadline given. Throughout school and university I’d be up burning the midnight oil on deadline day, vowing that “next time I’ll get it finished well in advance”. I’m now (not) writing my MSc dissertation, due in April, could easily have finished it by now but for chronic procrastination. Probably will be doing several all-nighters to get it done in time…..

I figured out in school that if I prepare any documents well in advance they’re crap whereas if I left it until the deadline I produce my best work! I seemingly suffer with overthinking things if I have too much time to think about it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Because you need the fear. I love all-nighters the night before deadline day.

Theres the “final push” allnighter, sort of satisfying. And the what i like to call “oh **** shit arse i shoukd have opened the book before midnight of deadline day” they suck the most hairiest of balls.

Totally unrelated, does anyone know anything about Tracking Dune Erosion using remotes sensing and Google Earth Engine?

ads678

is this a 5 minute argument,  or the full half hour?

how can it be full if it’s half?

johndoh
    Free Member

how can it be full if it’s half?

If you want me to go on arguing, you’ll have to pay for another five minutes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

And the what i like to call “oh **** shit arse i shoukd have opened the book before midnight of deadline day” they suck the most hairiest of balls.

In this situation you should ask STW in a panic. 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ahahahah perchy did really well on my hand in.

DezB
    Free Member

Go for a slash before starting working on something in the garage!

Philby

How to cook rice perfectly – I think I’ve managed once in my life and can’t remember which of the various methods worked (Certainly the instructions on the packet never result in perfect rice).

dannyh
    Free Member

I used to excited and up for the first Test of an Ashes series in the 90s and early noughties. By approximately 2.30pm on that first day I was usually questioning why I hadn’t learned my lesson.

Although England did win the first test in 1997, so the hope lasted a tiny bit longer…..before being humped again in the remaining matches, with a consolation win at the Oval when the Aussies wanted to get on an earlier flight home.

Cougar

Not leaving unattended for a nanosecond anything that I ever want to see again.

My OH is a serial putter-away-of-things. Which is great except:

1) She has no concept of the notion that something might have been put somewhere for a reason. Like, I’ll put carrier bags next to the door so that I don’t forget to pick them up when I go shopping later that day. She’ll tidy them away, then I’ll get to the shop and find I have no bags. They’re “bags for life” alright, they never leave the goddamn house.

2) She has no concept of “in use”. My life is basically like when you’re baking and get out the flour, then get out the eggs and turn back to find that the flour’s already disappeared.

3) There is absolutely no logic or consistency to it, which makes the aspie bit of my brain scream. I spent like two hours the other day looking for a specific tee-shirt that I wanted as part of a costume for a murder-mystery video call, it finally fetched up in my sock drawer. Nothing else in there other than socks and one tee-shirt. WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER AM I LIVING WITH?!

There is at least four places in the house which contains spare lightbulbs, that’s three too many. *twitch*

4) I can – well, could before I moved house – immediately lay my hands on something trivial that I hadn’t touched for 20 years. She on the other hand has no recollection so I can’t even go “where’s my tee-shirt?” I was recently in the bad books for two days because I’d lost the keys to her old house, “this is why you should have given them to me” etc. They turned up in her **** handbag.

I love her dearly, but if she ever decides to tidy my office she’s going in the canal.

dannyh
    Free Member

@Cougar.

I’ll meet you on the common on Sunday morning at 8.00am.

I’ll have a box with two flintlock pistols in and you’ll need to find yourself a seconder.

A duel is the only way to settle this as you have clearly been living with my wife.

Quite how you have done this without my knowledge is beyond me, but as I seem to spend a massive amount of my spare time with my head in cupboards, drawers or sheds looking for stuff, I can only assume I was distracted.

leffeboy

I will have just one beer after our Saturday ride 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

OH niggles here I come…

She puts away everything in the cutlery drawer just as you would expect (l to r is forks, knives, spoons all lined up and neat- so far so good). But…

BUT…

She will throw the teaspoons into their compartment any which way – pointing up, pointing down rather than all neatly pointing the same way.

dannyh
    Free Member

BUT…

She will throw the teaspoons into their compartment any which way – pointing up, pointing down rather than all neatly pointing the same way.

You wouldn’t lay a new patio ‘any which way’, would you…..?

🤔

blokeuptheroad

She puts away everything in the cutlery drawer just as you would expect (l to r is forks, knives, spoons all lined up and neat- so far so good). But…

Say what! So far, so bad. I’ll let this go, just this once as that MUST have been a typo. L to R, knife, fork, spoon. I am shocked that I actually needed to spell that out! I thought I was amongst decent people not savages!

MoreCashThanDash

I did wonder if Cougar had married my wife’s long lost twin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Liquid soap dispensers are great for washing up liquid

DezB
    Free Member

One lesson I have learned quite well is not to live with a woman! 😂

Mister-P
    Free Member

After reading some of the posts on here I am much happier about living alone and having to do my own washing up, even with the ridiculous amount of bubbles.

franksinatra

Say what! So far, so bad. I’ll let this go, just this once as that MUST have been a typo. L to R, knife, fork, spoon. I am shocked that I actually needed to spell that out! I thought I was amongst decent people not savages!

We debated this on here a while ago and concluded that people like you are basically sick perverts. When I’m in charge you’ll be first on the boats.

funkmasterp

In answer to the OP – All of them.

On the cutlery front, who are you weirdos? I just randomly put things in the drawer wherever I feel like. Embrace the chaos! Life is too short for arranging forks and spoons.

binners

One lesson I have learned quite well is not to live with a woman

And hows married life with Colin working out for you Dezzy? Everything you always hoped it would be? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Its a dream 😎

paulneenan76
    Free Member

A cutlery draw has slots for different cutlery items. If it was to be thrown in hotchpotch it wouldn’t have the slots. Anyone who doesn’t adhere to this probably wears flip flops all year round!

funkmasterp

I just put random things in the slots. Flip flops? Barefoot apart from work and Autumn and Winter. First it’s organising the cutlery drawer, then comes alphabetising your music collection. Next thing you know there’s bodies to hide. Slippery slope being organised.

chakaping
    Free Member

I just randomly put things in the drawer wherever I feel like. Embrace the chaos! Life is too short for arranging forks and spoons.

POIDH

funkmasterp

If I didn’t do it to start with wouldn’t I just mess up the drawer before taking photos?

I’ve got two young kids. Organising cutlery is way down on my list of priorities. About ten steps below picking Cheerios out of the radiator

jambourgie
    Free Member

Not buying breakdown cover. I’ve never had it in my life, Not for any particular reason, I just never think to buy it. Until I’m at the other end of the country and I hear a weird noise… thankfully I’ve never broken down, well, except once when I got a hundred yards down the road and my alternator died.

Regarding the washing up liquid thing: Surely too little is worse than too much? So a big ol’ squeeze for me and a rinse under the hot tap.

BillMC

Buying shoes online. I think they might come in handy even if they’re crap and don’t fit very well.

Cougar

L to R, knife, fork, spoon. I am shocked that I actually needed to spell that out!

This was a recent thread.

All other things aside, why on god’s green earth would you put knives to the left of forks? Have you ever even seen a place setting?

A cutlery draw

You’ve got a sketch of your cutlery?

Here’s a lesson you never learned: it’s a **** DRAWER. Why is this particular eggcorn so bloody pervasive? They’re not even homonyms.

Gets right on my tats.

blokeuptheroad

All other things aside, why on god’s green earth would you put knives to the left of forks? Have you ever even seen a place setting?

I’m an institutionalised ex Squaddie. On kit checks and locker inspections it’s always laid out as knife, fork, spoon. Packing lists for exercises and courses always just say ‘KFS’. These things stick with you. That, and the voices…. 😆

cakefacesmallblock

Three marriages, several live in girlfriends…..
    Oh and the ‘not quite full enough’ kettle walk.

Cougar

On kit checks and locker inspections it’s always laid out as knife, fork, spoon.

Fair enough. Point stands though, it’s still barking.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Lessons you never learn’ is closed to new replies.