Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Les Arcs – lifts closed saturdays?!
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

My 2010 plan says that most of them do, but not the funicular. Is that right, seems a bit weird if they do.

texas
    Free Member

Hello… yes just got back. Everything bar the funicular and the cashette chair from 1600 are closed on sat. Those two lifts.. plus busses to 2000 still give access to many marked trails.. and many un marked trails. Such as double header and 1600 .

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks. I didn’t realise there were buses. Are they from the top of the funicular or Bourg?

I’ve got the IGN map so can see the footpath trails, but don’t know the ones you mentioned. We’ll probably do La Varda if we can get to the top.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go to somewhere else for the day like La Thuile in Italy just over boder

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Sorted, took 5 mins to find a gpx file of Double Header!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long are you there for? Ice cream in the valley is worth it
    http://www.lathuile.net/datapage.asp?id=191&l=3

freeridenick
    Free Member

is the icecream place in the village? I am going next month. 8)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The ice cream in La Thuile is awesome. Perfect snack material between runs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The very one, ice cream, a beer and a quick check of the bruises…..

texas
    Free Member

agentdagnamit: There are busses that leave from the left of the Funicular. I think they run to link with the the hourly funicular arrival. (Not half hourly) You can pop your bikes on the back, and up to 2000. It gets you a few more runs, and makes it easier to cycle to the top of le varda.. (The Varet Gondola makes this much easier however!) Double header can be reached this way, or from the top of the Cashette. Follow signs for ‘les deux tetes’

La Thuile is brilliant and well worth a visit, not just for the ice cream.

Below Les arc 1600 and 1800 there are many runs which get you down to the Funicular… Pretty much follow your nose! There is the marked black 8, from this you can get to the unmarked White 8, where you squeese under the hydro pipes.

the run we called ‘1600’ goes from of all places 1600. Cycle west trhough 1600 and you find the skill(z?) area with see saws.. go to the end of this, and the road joins a bigger road at a sharp angle, turn sharply right, then the next sharp left (which has a 3 Tonne maximum sign). From this junction is the entrance to ‘1600’ and just follow your nose to valley floor.

There are runs off the bottom of 1800, which end up further down the valley, but still easy cyclable back.. Look for orange dots on the trail.. these are the tried and tested downhill friendly routes. Also, of red7 there are variations you can do..

All in all, at hell of a lot of riding with two lifts!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks all. We didnt have ice cream but did ride La Varda using the lift and Double Header using the shuttle uplift. The way the bikes swing on the back of the bus is a bit disconcerting though…

Both are amazing trails, IMO far better than the “man made” stuff, although Black 8 is still a good ride. Alot of the Red stuff in the woods seemed to be new and was still bedding in.

I might book something with White Room or Trail Addiction next year if all the hidden trails are as good as these 2.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

La Varda is awesome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Les Arcs – lifts closed saturdays?!’ is closed to new replies.