• This topic has 68 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Leigh Woods night riding paranoia…?
  • boxfish
    Free Member

Scaredy cat, that’s me.

Went for a blast after work this evening. As the darkness gathered, there was a shifty looking gang hanging around in Leigh Woods where Yer Tiz forks for the skills loop. They looked out of place and given the tales of people being followed home/bikes being stolen, I decided not to do any more loops. Went up to 50 Acre/Ashton Court instead and got very wet in the mist.

Sometimes, things don’t feel right. Am I paranoid? Probably, but having had bikes stolen, I decided to follow my instincts (RUN AWAY!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trust your instincts but dont be paranoid is my advice.
    Probably a good call and no harm done
    I ride loads at night on my own – the odd dog walker in random places every couple of years and doggers is all i have ever seen.

wallop

The eyes!

I heard somebody’s house got ram raided last night after possibly being followed home from LW – no such thing as being too cautious these days. It’s a sorry state of affairs.

zomersetglider

Often ride up there on my own at night, never had any experiences like that. I think all of us need to continue riding up there through the winter, the more that continue to do so the more it acts as a defiant deterrent – I guess we all need to look out for each other. I know when I’m up there I’ll make sure I’ll give fellow bikers a nod and a hello. Funnily enough I feel a little safer riding out to LW/AC from Downend than I do driving over in the van as I’m less likely to have anyone follow me home riding!

boxfish
    Free Member

I do usually ride with a mate or two. I am no stranger to night riding up there by myself though. Guess I just got the heebie jeebies!

wrecker
    Free Member

Always trust your instincts. You did the right thing.

zomersetglider

Yes better to be safe than sorry, just wouldn’t want anyone getter deterred about riding up there as its a great vibe. Always good to see the trails ablaze with bike lights during the winter months 🙂

higgi
    Free Member

lots of groups of kids up there earlier doing walks – orienteering or summet ….

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve passed groups of kids at that spot (in day time though) quite a few times, not sure why they congregate there but there’s also usually a smell of weed in the air. I figure if they’re up to no good they’ll probably make a grab for you first time around just in case you don’t return, I would have thought they’d be hanging out near the car parks if trying to follow someone home, can’t believe they’re sophisticated enough to track a biker they’ve targeted around a big loop.

boxfish
    Free Member

These weren’t kids. I counted 4 blokes in their 20s-30s who stopped in their tracks as they heard me approach. One of them said something to the others, and they all turned their attention to me. That’s what made me feel uneasy.

I’m not necessarily talking about being followed home. I take considerable precautions to avoid that these days. I’m talking about being mugged for my bike. A rare occurrence but one I’d prefer to avoid.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

What sort of time was that Boxfish? I was up there at about 6.30ish – saw quite a few sets of lights but mostly all riders. I do tend to never stop apart from the time for when I took a few snaps of how murky it was last night!

wwaswas

I tend to take the approach ‘how would I feel in this situation at 2 in the morning on a quiet industrial estate?’

If it feels ‘wrong’ and that the people aren’t the ‘right sort’ or stand out then I’d feel quite happy just turning around and going back the way I came.

I ride solo 95% of the time, I think you have to just not assume ‘cos you’re in the woods/countryside at 9 at night that everyone you meet is going to be nice as pie and out enjoying a few cheeky trails.

Of course, the baddies will get smart eventually and start taking bikes with them so they ‘fit in’…

boxfish
    Free Member

Neil, it was around 6 when I saw those fellas.

wwaswas

you should mtfu then 😉

you did what felt right, you still got a ride and you’ve not lost out so why worry?

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve got 5 or 6 different routes home – all of which take in a mix of road, technical and backstreets/1 way sections so it becomes very hard to get a follow home. I think that’s probably the safest thing up at LW/AC – but you’re definitely right to trust your instincts I reckon.

You’re always going to find groups of lads having a cheeky smoke up the woods anywhere you ride, but as you’ve described these as a bit older than the average teen stoners, I reckon you are right to be concerned.

Riding up there tonight with a few mates – cheers for the heads up, will keep a beady eye out.

🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

I’m not worrying.

Bravado is all well and good until you get the sh*t kicked out of you. 😀

wwaswas

Sometimes, things don’t feel right. Am I paranoid? Probably, but having had bikes stolen, I decided to follow my instincts (RUN AWAY!)

sounded a bit like you had a small bit of worry going on?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Last time I was riding up there on my own after dark, I was thinking about the tales of people being followed home from AC and wondering how long it would be before folks were being mugged at night for their bikes. Only a matter of time, I reckon…

alexathome
    Free Member

Last time I was riding up there on my own after dark, I was thinking about the tales of people being followed home from AC and wondering how long it would be before folks were being mugged at night for their bikes. Only a matter of time, I reckon…

It’s already been attempted hasn’t it, about 6 years ago. I dare say its happened since also. Pretty sh1tty state of affairs really,

noteeth
    Free Member

I once encountered a large group of youths hanging around in the middle of Lordswood – they told me that my bike was sh1t. 😳

As for LW, I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I had a large group by the picnic benches in LW shout “ere mate”. Obviously I put the hammer down and promptly buggered off to ashton court after that 🙁

Riden through a few “traps” and managed to only just get away with my bike. I love Bristol but it’s getting beyond a joke now 🙁

wordnumb
    Free Member

Garylake – how do you mean traps?
    What sort of thing?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Well there is only one thing for it!
    Bar mounted Tazer, pepper spray and an Axe in your Camelbak.
    That’s 3 things 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

wordnumb: as in in waiting hidden in side roads and making a grab for you as ride past.

Started happening a couple of Mondays on the trot right outside where I lived. Used to be a group ride I went on, same time every monday, they were there 3 Mondays on the trot before I started driving up. Call me paranoid but I felt a bit targeted in that instance.

shinobi
    Free Member

Hi, everyone, I don’t post much on here, just read, but I walk the dogs and ride in this spot most evenings and there is definatley alot more undesireable looking people around.

I dont know if anyone else has had any experience of a simillar car, or seen it acting suspiciously, but I had an orange/ metallic gold Peugeout hatchback (possible 206/306 maybe cabriolet)try to ram me head on, in the lane into the small car park a couple of weeks back. I know he tried to ram me as the fooker carreered onto the grass verge to try to hit me and then stopped to see if I had come off, but alas I was gone. I’ve seen what I think is the same car parked up at the golf course car park nearby where the cafe has opened.

Also, another dubious spot to be aware of is the path up from Paradise bottom to the main car park. About half way up the path splits to the left and heads down to the toe path by the river. I’ve seen a couple of guys stood around this area before and they took a bit much of an interest in my bike than the average walker/ badger watcher.

Oh yes and another thing we can all do to lower the level of paranoia, is to keep the pathways clear, if a group of you do decide to stop for a chinwag or drink, it can be pretty off putting to see 4 or 5 + men blocking the paths with bikes when you approach. In fact, for someone else to have to stop and say “excuse me please, can you move your bike” is taking the piss. That happened to me in in the summer on a light evening. If it happens on a dark evening, i’m not stopping and going to crash through the middle.

There must be a way though, to ensure people’s safety up there and Ashton Court.

duffmiver
    Free Member

where is this leigh woods? sounds well dangerous!!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I think we’ve just found Stickman’s car then.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

yeah was up there last night with a mate, the mist was well scary, not sure i’d have gone on my own last night – normally its ok

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I’m a LW/AC regular who got their bike robbed from their house last Friday
    Orange Blood nicked

The police were dead sure that I will have been followed back from the woods at some point, maybe even the night before.

I’m not sure you can be too paranoid at the moment – if it looks/feels dodgy, trust your instincts.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh yes and another thing we can all do to lower the level of paranoia, is to keep the pathways clear, if a group of you do decide to stop for a chinwag or drink

This really should be a no-brainer. If you stop; GET OFF THE TRAIL!!!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Oh and just to be clear – I never, ever drive to the trails, so if I was followed it will have been via bike

andyrm
    Free Member

I think we’ve just found Stickman’s car then.

We’re pretty sure Stickman is the grumpy old git who lives in the house on the fireroad, with a silver Merc.

He tried to mow down one of our group a month or so ago, and when we stopped him, he went into a mental old boy tirade, including coming out with the gem “don’t argue with me!”. One of our crew put it to him that we think he is the one putting sticks & logs over trails – he blustered a bit and stormed inside.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, the Avon and Somerset Police local Beat Manager will soon be aware of the issue… please post locations of ne’er-do-well hangouts here and I’ll pass them on.

shinobi
    Free Member

It’s around this time of year as well, when the woods will be crawling (well there will be a few) with magic mushroom pickers, lets hope the pickers dont arrive by bike, because that could cause some serious paranoia whilst “tripping the light fandago”

theboatman
    Free Member

Was i the only person who thought this thread was going to be about the giant vampire spider werewolves that only come out into the woods on night rides?

LenHankie

boxfish – Member
    These weren’t kids. I counted 4 blokes in their 20s-30s who stopped in their tracks as they heard me approach. One of them said something to the others, and they all turned their attention to me. That’s what made me feel uneasy.

boxfish – Member
    I’m not worrying.

Bravado is all well and good until you get the sh*t kicked out of you.

…or you get rogered senseless.

MrAgreeable

A group of 20s-30s blokes with an unhealthy interest in other people’s bikes and no signs of actually having ridden anywhere? That was probably us. 😉

I’m aware of one attempt to actually steal someone’s bike from them on the trail (the one Alexathome describes above), but there are plenty of reports of people being tailed home. For that reason alone it’s a good idea to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

There was a report today on the Stolen Bristol Bikes FB page of someone being followed home by a small silver hatchback, possibly a Peugeot. They broke into his garage and then, realising the bikes weren’t there, the thieves kicked his front door in (possibly the “ram raiding” referred to above – I’m not aware of anyone actually driving a car into someone’s house to gain entry) Unfortunately he didn’t wake up and they were able to nick his bike.

boxfish
    Free Member

I’m led to believe that such activities take place on the other side of the Avon Gorge. 😯

TooTall
    Free Member

GaryLake – if I could keep up with you, I’d offer to ride with you as some sort of deterrent.

Is there a Deal Extreme high power light / taser combination yet?

transapp
    Free Member

I’ll be riding there later, about 6:00pm till I’m tired. I’ll keep my eyes open and look forward to the tail home, I’m going quite a way and I bet they don’t keep up…!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Leigh Woods night riding paranoia…?’ is closed to new replies.