• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lecht Opening at the Weekend
  • the_lecht_rocks

apparently……..

any takers ?

i’ll go boarding, nae skiing this weekend if it opens.

bazzer
    Free Member

Val d’Isere opens this weekend too 🙂

Flying out tomorrow 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have (seriously) heard it’s not that good?

stuartm555
    Free Member

it’s not that good

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s Scotland, none of it’s that good.

the_lecht_rocks

it’s nae brilliant, but it’s 1/2 an hour or so from my hoose.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    It’s Scotland, none of it’s that good.

Best snow I’ve ever had was in Scotland, been abroad 6 times too!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Cynical… where else have you skied ?

Gobi Desert?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pas de la Casa, Meribel twice, Argentiere, Zell am See, Verbier.

Mostly slush or ice abroad (admittedly going at cheap times of year), but had great snow in Scotland – you can go without planning.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Cool

Never been myself

Cheaper and quicker to get to the alps down here in London.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I have (seriously) heard it’s not that good?

It’s not that good. If you’re going to drive up that way, Glenshee or Aviemore are much better.

But if like TLR, its ok if it was 30 mins from your house.

I might try and get into skiing more this year. Tried it a couple of days last season in Glenshee as I’m not to keen on pomas or t-bars on the board.

Matt_SS_xc

been to scotland last 4 years…its all about timing, new year last year, waist – chest deep powder all over cairngorms, unreal, got better and better until about may, just couldnt afford another trip up there. 4 years ago though went up with no planning and very poor snow. when its good, its very very good!! but dont tell everyone….

stayed in the van up there the one night, got stuck with around 15 others, they opened the centre just for us, was like having the whole mountain to ourselves, unreal! try getting that in europe

benjamins11
    Free Member

Its not like the Alps but its still skiing. I had an amazing day in the aformentioned powder on the Gorm last year. Its way cheaper than the alps too, you can stay in a youth hostel for 7 quid a night, buy food from Tesco, drive up there with 4 in a car. The only really expensive bit is the lift pass, which is around 20-30 a day, comparable with the alps these days. You can do 4 days skiing for under 300 quid all in even if you live in Southern England.
    Cant wait to get back up there!

the_lecht_rocks

one of my favourite hills is in argentiere cynic-al – grand montets, but i’m not a piste basher – i usually go to the right and down to the glacier.

6 times in europe – something holding you back ?

goodgrief
    Free Member

looking at the webcams, the lecht has only really filled in today so i would think it’ll be pretty thin on the ground.
    cairngorm has been open 2 weeks now and will be the only serious option this weekend for me.

swavis

I’d like to go as like TLR it’s only about half an hour away, but I won’t be going anywhere until swavis jnr arrives and that could be anytime now 😀

NZCol

I worked FT for 2.5 years (5 seasons back to back) in Val, NZ, Canada and US. Still one of the best days skiing I have ever had was Cairngorm, boxing day 1994 (I think, could have been 95 though). Chest deep poo poo, blue sky, naebody there. Was brilliant.

the_lecht_rocks

goodies – cairngorm isnt out of the equation – will convince mrs tlr of a weekend perhaps….

ratswithwings
    Free Member

I went to Aviemore last March and had a blast. I’ve been to Chamonix, Sass Fee, Andorra, Arinsal, Les Arc – and I thought Aviemore was damn good fun and if we get the snow we did last year then I’m looking forward to going. Sure not up there with those places but still damn good fun. The boardercross track at the top was top fun! Hope its gonna be there this year!

To be honest I had a blast down here in the Peak district this year. So much snow!! Sure alot of **** walking back up hills but you cant complain much when its on your doorstep!

amodicumofgnar

To be honest I had a blast down here in the Peak district this year. So much snow!! Sure alot of **** walking back up hills but you cant complain much when its on your doorstep!

True, true – problem with the british (alright then English) is we don’t really as a rule undertand our countryside. Default view seems to be UK is barely OK. Some of the best days skiing I’ve had have been in Weardale. Had people tell me in no uncertain colourful terms that English winter climbing is pants. Rare yes, pants no.

devs
    Free Member

Lecht will be pants if the road opens which, looking at the forecast for friday night, is unlikely. I saw skiable fields around Grantown and Ballindalloch today so if they can get the hill open I reckon Cairngorm could be worth a punt. I’ll be taking devs jnr 1 and 2 to Pittodrie for Scotland v Samoa on Sat and busy Sunday so it’s out of the question for me. It’s all too soon and only feels like 5 mins since it was last like this in the Spring!

Woody
    Free Member

I had a fantastic day at Swinhope too this year – can’t wait for next week.

Scotland can be amazing if you’re very lucky and hell on earth if your not. Looking forward to at least one day at Glenshee over Christmas.

bruk

Missed boarding last year as my wife was pregnant. Whilst all my friends were in France I had time for 1 day at Glenshee. Fantastic snow and powder, 1st day after the road opened, pretty empty slopes and a lovely blue sky. Great fun and a chance to drop in on my sis at Aberdeen.

Only beaten by one day in 91 or 92 when I skived off lectures and had a fantastic bluebird day at Nevis Range.

Almost enough to forget those days of double lift line queues at weekends, sitting at the bottom of the road waiting for it to open only to slowly watch all the snow blow away over the course of the day leaving you feeling like you’d been sandblasted.

After you learn to ski in Scotland ice and slush abroad hold no fears for you.

ps Off to La Plagne this year with 6 month old. Only £79 for him, great bargain.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lecht Opening at the Weekend’ is closed to new replies.