Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Leaky Vanilla fork – what next?
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Got an 04 Vanilla R fork on my Orange5.
    Never serviced. Always performed flawlessly.
    But last couple of rides I have noticed small amounts of oil around the bottom nut area.
    Is there an o-ring behind this nut? Is it accessible to replace without taking the fork apart?
    Or is this leak likely to be from the main slider seals.
    Is a seal kit replacement something I could do with no special tools?
    vs sending to TFTuned (£££) and living without for a couple of weeks 😥

D

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It's a six-year-old fork that's never been serviced. It's such a simple fork to work on (link to service guides), with a seal/foam-ring kit costing around £25. That kit will also contain the crush washers you'll need for the foot-nuts. Oil will set you back around £17, unless you get a non-Fox alternative for about half that.

As far as "special tools" go, you'll need a ground-down 26mm socket (~£5) for the top caps and, if you're ham-fisted, a torque wrench (£30+) for the foot-nuts.

TFTuned are taking bookings for the 12th, so, theoretically, you could have a properly serviced fork back in time for next weekend for less than £90.

elaineanne
    Free Member

wow a 6 year old fork never been serviced ? crickey you very lucky so far…. my sons and my mates forks been leaking black stuff…its time for a service wen that happens !

dazzydw
    Free Member

yep – v lucky. And has been ridden a fair amount too. (Alps, Lakes etc) so 1 big vote for Fox.
    Probably worth sending to TF eh…

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

6 years without service? get ready for a big bill.
    Then if you're lucky and it's just a regular service that's needed you've got another bargain.
    Good luck fella, hope it turns out well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Leaky Vanilla fork – what next?’ is closed to new replies.