Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • leaky tubeless rims, newbie help please
  • andybrad

Ok guys and gals ive ventured into the world of tubeless with some stand crest rims and originally nobby nic performance rubber (which was surprisingly good tbh)Anyhow Ive just swapped out the tires for some new trail kings.

Everything was going well. Both wheels went up quickly using a track pump with little fuss. They both held air without sealant. I popped some stans sealant in and the rear tire is leaking around the rim. Ive wobbled it about for hours over the last couple of days and taken it for a ride. It was still loosing 10 psi a day roughly. Ive taken the tire off tonight, cleaned everything with clean water taking care with the rim edge and tire edge. Popped it up with sealant and its still leaking.

Any help please?

Cheers

gee
    Free Member

Leave it longer. Sometimes it takes a week or two of fling flat/re inflate/tubeless dance to get it to seal.

Are the sidewalls leaking?

GB

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

You don’t mention rim tape?
    Regards
    Richard

andybrad

its got the pre installed stans rim tape.

Yea i just thought it would seal a lot quicker with it going up so fast. Sidewalls are spot on just very small bubbles around the edge of the rim.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Have you trimmed off all the release nipples on the tyre beading as they can cause issues. The other thing is you may need to overinflated it by a good 20 psi if the beads ain’t fully seating themselves for a day or so.

enfht
    Free Member

Did you do the whole soapy water routine? It seats the bead properly then shows where all the tiny leaks are. Brush wobble turn wobble turn wobble and repeat 😉

andybrad

The beads looked good as far as i could tell. First time i didnt use any water or lubricant at all. They ent up fine but had very small leaks around the rim. This time i seated the tire and used the soapy water. Same as last time. Im sloshing it about. It doesnt seal through between the rim and tire though like i expected it to.

So if it cant seal a micro leak like this how on earth does it work with a proper leak!

Went to it this morning. down to 18 psi from 38. After about an hour f wobbling. I also tried bouncing

wwaswas

I’d check that the rim isn’t full of sealant.

Times I’ve had problems are with wither a leak around the rim tape or the valve hole.

I’d put another layer of rim tape on and reseat the valve.

Also, if it is losing air at that rate put it in a bath and see where it’s coming out from – if it’s past the spokes or around the valve then no amount of reseating and wobbling the wheel will work.

andybrad

its not past the stem or spokes. its between the rim and rubber

wwaswas

what pressure are you pumping them up to?

do you get a ‘snap’ as the beads seat?

I’d try the extra layer or two of tape thing to build the rim up a bit if I were having these issues.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

as above, try putting a load of soap around the valve area, if it is leaking try tightening up the nut or putting some silicon sealant around the valve.

andybrad

what will that achieve? it is not leaking from the valve

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had this problem on some tubeless ready nobby nics. They would go down over night no matter what I did. I then read somewhere that it can be air escaping through microscopic holes in the side walls that will eventually seal. You can test it by putting some soapy water on the side wall. When I did this you could see tiny bubbles forming in the soap all the way around the tyre.
    It sealed itself after a week or so of riding and re inflating and presumably unless you clean the sealant from the inside of the tyre it should be sealed for good.
    I had similar thoughts about the sealing properties if it couldn’t even seal the microscopic holes.

On another bike I had been using UST rims and UST tyres without sealant which are very easy to inflate and trouble free so I was a initially disappointed with the stans system.
    I haven’t had any punctures or problems since though so all is good in the end.

Andy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘leaky tubeless rims, newbie help please’ is closed to new replies.