Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Laura, Laura, gold medal scorer, how does your (lady) garden grow?
  • Wally

IdleJon

Ghostly – funny – I sit on my sit bones and nothing I own has seams there.

If your actually putting pressure on your sit bones you must be very upright on your bike? My sit bones barely contact my saddle when I’m on the hoods.

DrP

tjagain – Member

Haaaaaaaaaang on a minute………

I just figured that too……

DrP

ditch_jockey

I’m with you on the baggy shorts thing, but the last thing I’d be wearing on a hot muggy day is cotton pants – that’s pretty much guaranteeing dampness and chafing.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

And I’ve just ordered some of that Doublebase gel. I’m now trying a Brooks saddle, which actually seems quite good. I fear my issues may stem from being overweight though, which is difficult, I need to ride to lose weight, but can’t ride too far cos I’m too heavy!

iainc

If your actually putting pressure on your sit bones you must be very upright on your bike? My sit bones barely contact my saddle when I’m on the hoods.

depends on saddle though. Some brands, like ISM put you wholly on your sit bones to avoid pressure on the soft bits. They are also favoured by the TT squad and I’ve seen a few on the track coverage from Rio

IdleJon

depends on saddle though. Some brands, like ISM put you wholly on your sit bones to avoid pressure on the soft bits. They are also favoured by the TT squad and I’ve seen a few on the track coverage from Rio

Yeah you may be right and apologies due from me – I’ve just spent the last ten minutes rocking back and forward on the saddle (in work!) trying to work out where the pressure comes through. Not a huge amount through the sit bones, but they still contact (mainly when I’m on the top of the bars.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

You’re not on your sit bones, unless you’re very flexible or sat upright. The prongs just suspend you each side of your tenderest bits.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, I sit on my sit bones.
    You must ride bow legged, very upright or not very far/fast/sustained. Or all of the above.

Also I’m guessing miniscule thighs.

😉

tjagain

I ride upright. Think more eurotourer than TT racer. I like my comfort.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Tjagain earlier.

iainc

mrblobby – perhaps have a wee look at this, should explain it for you 🙂

how ISM saddles work

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, seen that. There’s how you’re meant to sit on it and how most people actually sit on it 🙂

iainc

indeed 🙂 I swopped to ISM’s on all bikes 2 yrs ago before surgery ‘down there’. First few rides (which were before surgery) I had very sore sit bones – took probably 15 hrs in the saddle to get used to the different way of being suspended ! The setup instructions work if followed to the letter, but yes, if it is set up like a normal saddle it won’t work.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Would this be the appropriate thread to pose the question “Anna Mears – bush cyclist”?

tjagain

I thought ALL saddles intended you to sit on the sit bones? I certainly do on all my bikes even the one with the lowest position ( equivalent to a not very radical road bike on the hoods)

Ghostly – a bit like that but with more hair and tweed. 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Saddles do intend for you to sit on the sit bones.

The only problem is many people don’t.

Lack of flexibility, bending at the hips instead of the back, saddle pointing up and so on. Then you get the drive for aero. Which makes everything worse, especially when the UCI interfere.

I did notice that all the athletes sponsored by ISM seem to be triathletes and a fairly low budget US road team. Who, by definition, take any sponsorship they can get. Believe me, I’ve been there!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did notice that all the athletes sponsored by ISM seem to be triathletes and a fairly low budget US road team.

Small company though, probably don’t have the budget to sponsor a big team. Saddles are a bit marmite too.

You are increasingly seeing saddles that are trying to accommodate people who don’t.

DezB
    Free Member

So you’re saying these GB Team women have hair over their sit-bones..?

Junkyard
    Free Member

If they have then they are definitely on PEDS and they are having terrible side effects

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

only if you don’t read so well.

DezB
    Free Member

..or they’re not flexible like proper cyclists..?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You don’t read well then.

Aero, UCI.

iainc

UCI ? – Un Coiffured Intimates ? 🙂 IGMC…

Potdog
    Free Member

I can’t believe that nobody has yet posted the ubiquitous “This thread is useless without pictures” comment!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just wondering if this story is another Brailsford wheeze to wind up opponents, like his “rounder wheels” comment at the last Olympics 🙂

wallop

Haha – you boys don’t know the half of it 😆

fatmax

Back to the OP…surely this thread needs pics!

scaredypants

Haaaaaaaaaang on a minute………

impersonator IMO

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Waitrose baby butter – works a treat. Don’t waste it on babies though

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Probably about half 🙂 I’ve spent enough time around female cyclists to have to deal with some of the fall out. 😳 and 😯

And I’ve been living with one for the last two decades.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Laura, Laura, gold medal scorer, how does your (lady) garden grow?’ is closed to new replies.