• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laptop, Netbook, or Macbook – what do I want?
  • Smee
    Free Member

I am in the market for a new laptop type thing for use at uni and on my commute.

It'll be used for writing essays, surfing the net, reading academic papers and also needs to be able to run memory map.

Which of the above 3 types of machine would you go for?

Drac

PC based laptop for bargain price and ability to run memory map without having to faff around.

cp

What drac said. A netbook will have too small of a keuboard to type essays etc unless you use an external keyboard. A mac is expensive for what you need… Get a netbook or a cheap dell and get office student on it:)

mogrim

Cheap laptop, the keyboard on a netbook is fine for a bit of email and surfing, but I wouldn't want to type an essay on it.

I don't like Macs, YMMV.

tomzo
    Free Member

The positives of getting a mac would be:
    good student discount (15% if bought using a computer on campus)
    3 year warranty on hardware/parts FREE
    Its unlikely to break/ go shitty like windows (although windwos 7 will be better than vista)
    can sell it after uni and reclaim a fair chunk of the money you spent on it.
    Unfortunately you've just missed the free ipod deal….which you then could have sold on and got money for.
    Oh and excellent battery life so no need to carry a charger with you!

GrahamS

netbook has some good points:

More practical on the commute (smaller size and better battery life) and easier to carry between lectures at uni.

The keyboard and screen are small though – I wouldn't like to do a lot of work on one (but then I'm used to working on large 20"+ monitors)

Mind you, there is nothing to stop you hooking up a USB mouse + keyboard plus a full-size monitor when you writing an essay back at your base/flat/dorm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just bought an 11.6 inch netbook for the missus

the keyboards bigger than any other laptop ive ever used …. touch pads smaller though

and what gets me is that im nearly blind so the screens a bit small for me to work on

Hairychested
    Free Member

Samsung NC110 should be perfect. I want one but my mother-in-law returned the laptop we gave her as I am such a so-and-so and she hates me (possibly related to my comments concerning her cooking).
    My younger brother has one of the older models – NC10 and likes it a lot. True, you can't really have Vista but why would you want it anyway? It comes with XP Home, but go for some Linux or UNIX-based system and Bob's your uncle.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I am almost in the same situation as Goan and was hoping there would be more reasons for me to go for a Mac laptop. I won't be commuting as I will be living on campus, and also want something better than my current laptop which is getting on a bit.

I am after something that will be good for making documentaries slightly better than I can on MS Movie Maker too so a Mac seemed like a good option, especially with a student discount.

Is buying a Mac a bit like buying your next bike – you really dont need justifications?

geoffj

Samsung NC10 + Hackintosh Mac OS Install + External monitor & keyboard

Del

samsung n110 has a nice screen, nearly a man-sized keyboard, and win xp.
    fitted 2gb of ram, comes with 160gb hd.
    i think it's really nice. lovely screen. you might like a mac, or something else…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laptop, Netbook, or Macbook – what do I want?’ is closed to new replies.