Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty versus Orange 5
  • Scarcat67
    Free Member

Anyone ridden both ? What's your comments ?? So far have ridden a Trek Fuel EX8 (same as my 2007 anthem in my opinion), a specialized fsr pro 2010 disappointed in ride and build quality ie stem and seatpost for the money and a lapierre zesty 314…the zesty I liked the most !!

Do I need to ride the orange 5 and any others ?? Looking to replace my rocky mt etsx for something new…

jimw
    Free Member

I have an Orange 5 and love it. I have ridden a Zesty 514 and was really impressed, particularly the sure-footedness downhill. The rear suspension on the Zesty is technically more sophisticated and the bike does climb quite well, but I still marginally prefer the Orange, but then I am more used to it I suppose.

The Lapierre is beautifully finished for the price, but two mates of mine have them and both have had OEM component issues within quite a short time – failed rear Shimano axle/hub on one, failed Fox fork on the other. Their LBS did sort them out (the hub after some difficulty I have to say, but ended OK)

If I was in the market for another bike….. I would still just about buy the Orange, but I must say my mates love their Zestys just as much

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

french made or uk made? now thats the question.

juan
    Free Member

french made or uk made? now thats the question.

Uk made as it's not French made, but taiwanese made.

If I had to choose between the two of them it would be the 5 without the shadow of a doubt.

dab

i ride an SJ 120 comp 07 model and demo'd an orange 5 a few weeks back and a wierdo cause i didnt like the 5 !!!

tbh the FSR and EX8 are xc/trail bikes

the orange is a trail centre bike, rock solid on the dh, beefy, simple

poor points, an utter pig on the ups squeeky parts( think it was just the bike i had being a bit older) expensive for what it is

it was a revalation getting back on the stumpjumper, was light fast, flickable and fun

have you considered a trek remedy ? kind of trail but still pedalable ?

if i was choosing i think i'd go LP / trek route
    happy hunting

slowrider
    Free Member

the orange is a trail centre bike

thats daft. what trail centre needs a 140mm bike?

coogan
    Free Member

the orange is a trail centre bike, rock solid on the dh, beefy, simple

Eh?

hugh_b
    Free Member

I'd also go with the five but it depends on what you feel most comfy on! I can ride anything on mine, from dh & dirt jumps to all day xc and trail center rides. I find it climbs nicely but decends amazingly….to be honest how many people actually enjoy climbs? I do them to get to the decents!
    Alot of people say the five is over priced…probably because it hasn't got a shiny anodized linkage and 8 sets of bearings! Your paying for a high quality frame that will last in the UK riding conditions, just 1 set of easy to change bearings was another plus point for me.
    You'd be silly not to demo one.

dab

for the benifit of coogan and slowrider

i meant to position that statement as the 5 is bias towards dh type jump/pump trail centre riding

ie flat pedals, big bars, 36 forks type stuff

and yes i agree that 140mm is too much for 90% of rides but it can be fun on the dh's

fwiw the 5 didnt float my boat, prefer a more efficient bike no doubt all the stw police will have me burned at the stake for daring to say that

and all this pish about bearings going my spesh is still going strong after 3 seasons, its my only bike and gets ridden every week

igmcn

😉

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

well they say they are made in france http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/lapierre/StaticController/lapierre-company if there fibbing thats another reason to go with the orange.

coogan
    Free Member

i meant to position that statement as the 5 is bias towards dh type jump/pump trail centre riding

Eh?

Anyways, not a daring thing to say at all, I don't like them either, most Oranges for that. Expensive for what they are. But everyone knows 160mm up front is the only way forward…

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

im going with the five pro over the zesty. better fork better breaks better hubs. and its only £2499.99 zesty coming in @ £2149. the extra is worth it.

druidh
    Free Member

joemetcalfm – Member

well they say they are made in france http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/lapierre/StaticController/lapierre-company if there fibbing thats another reason to go with the orange.

Made in France from a collection of internationally-sourced parts. Same as the Orange (or did you think that Fox, SRAM, Shimano etc were all the names of UK companies?)

Northwind

Some of the spec on the 5 Pro is ridiculous though, nice hubs but 317 rims? You can upgrade to 819s for £120 at least but the 317s are neither good enough for a £2500 bike, or wide enough to make sense on a 5. Should be 719s at the absolute least. Stuff like that annoys me.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

alright druidh keep your pants on! talking about the frames. orange still wins it lot of hope bits….

juan
    Free Member

What druidh says, frames are build in taiwan. Plus they are pants. Go for the 5. Or the old lapierre 😀

erny
    Free Member

Test ride them both it's the best way to see which YOU think is the best,I did and bought the 5

grantway
    Free Member

Bought my 5 in 2008 well spec AM version
    would say the bike never lets me down and
    just keeps me smilling.
    Been Wales a few times and just hammers the trails
    and Downhill sections.
    A few times at Wales the only bike to make it back
    in one piece and other bikes had bearing problems
    both times.
    Returns Orange say they get approx Three Orange 5 frames a year
    this includes the older 5 frames.
    And are going to increase there warranty.

grantway
    Free Member

Forgot to say nearly sold my 5 AM couldnt find a better bike
    for what I ride.
    So had Orange re-spray it £ 175.00p including new Decales and bearings.
    Cheapest new bike i have ever bought

Must say did not ride a Zesty, was not round then but looks like
    you should at least test ride it.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

ernys got it right. ride as many as you can and go from there. the mondrakers are worth a look too. my money is on the orange.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Having never ridden either i would go for neither!

grantway
    Free Member

Mondraker Dune I wanted to try but shop let me down
    so like above just re sprayed me 5 Apple Green 😉

carbon337
    Free Member

Im considering these two at the mo – the orange is winning over the 514 – hope hubs, hope brakes, perf pack, hope bb plus apple green for £2800, same price as 514.

British built parts and frame – me buying a uk bike keeps a fellow brit in a job somewhere for a month or two, if we all buy from overseas this country will be even more **** up – we cant all work at Tesco's after all!

IMO all government vehicles should have been british vehicles for years but, well I suppose half the emergency service vehicles would have broken down on route!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Both are in Dirt 100 this year. along with the remedy too.
    Doubt you can go too far wrong with either really. I want both. at the same time.

Northwind

Carbon337 wrote: "British built parts and frame – me buying a uk bike keeps a fellow brit in a job somewhere for a month or two"

Have you seen how long it takes to stamp, weld and spray a 5? You'll be keeping your man in work for a lazy friday afternoon :mrgreen: Though I agree with the sentiment, if you want to pay around £250 extra for a 5 Pro (which is, it seems, what the union jack tax is in this case) then good for you. Me, I'd sooner pay £2500 and not get cheap rims and horrible tyres :mrgreen: I don't care if I keep a yorkshireman in work, they're all horrible.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Gary Fisher Roscoe beats both imo.

Awesome frame and shock, great spec. My local shop had a Roscoe 3 09 for £2000!! Not sure on size but it was prob a 16" as it was fairly small.

Most mags had the Roscoe, Zesty & 5 as the 3 top trail bikes of the year.

J

carbon337
    Free Member

To get the 5 and the 514 to the same price the 5 gets some nice extras like perf and hope pack.

pros of 5:
    Thomson stem/post
    Easton bars
    Hope brakes, headset, and BB
    RP23
    Maintenance of bearings and proven design

Cons of 5:
    Tyres – tubless
    Rims
    erm other people have them
    Not so pretty but industrial – i like that.

Equals:

Groupset is pretty much the same

Northwind

If you're comparing with the 2010 model, it's got the carbon swingarm… Which you might not care about, but you also didn't mention the higher spec fork (a £150 extra for the 5) so once you bring that and the wheels up, there's no budget for your other stuff. So that leaves the Zesty with better brakes, and broadly equivalent parts elsewhere.

To get the other upgrades you want on that 5 would cost you an extra £300 over the RRP of a 2010 Zesty 514. Or alternatively, there are still 09 ones for £2500.

They both come with ridiculous tyres though 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

Northwind – you have lost me

The five with hope headset/BB/Hope pack/Perf pack = £2844
    The zesty 514 rrp is £2800

So the same price near enough, rims, tyres and fork are a + on 514…
    but finishing kit on Orange is also a + and proven design but better rear shock on 5.

I'd class brakes and groupset as the same on both bikes.

Decisions decisions – my mind is set on the 5 i want this bike to last 4 -5 years at least – once kids are here i doubt there will be another for a while – this carbon rear isnt proven yet for longitivity on the zesty – look at the commencals – they looked nice at first but then we hear of problems with cracking a few years later.

Its great though that we have so many companies striving for great products and giving us these hard choices and many an hour discussing shit on forums! 😀

Northwind

Well, if you'd really choose a load of bling over wheels and forks, fair enough 😉 But the spec of the wheelpack just annoys me- great hubs, nice spokes, cheap narrow rims more suited to a £500 bike. Makes little sense, a set of 719s on XT hubs would be cheaper and far more suited to the bike.

I just can't see any point spending extra on the BB, bars, etc and cutting corners on the wheels or forks. Though there's nowt wrong with the standard Floats of course. But then there's nothing much wrong with the stock finishing kit either- the Orange stuff is pretty heavy but it's sturdy enough.

And if you don't want the carbon rear triangle, spend £2500 and get an 09 model 😉

Northwind

Or alternatively get a 2010 Zesty 314 and throw bling at it 😉 They're both ace mind, it's not like anyone's going to cry themselves to sleep because they should have got a Zesty. Me, I'd get a Pitch Pro, and spend the rest on hookers. It won't be as good but it'll still be approximately 5 times more bike than I can use 😉

MBowers
    Free Member

Im currently trying to convince myself out of getting a zesty, my lbs has given me a really good offer on one that i really want to accept but i also really shouldnt 😕

grantway
    Free Member

Just upgrade the 5 AM version and get Better wheels
    and keeps Northwind happy too 💡

Northwind

Heh, EN321s… And no wheel upgrade option. Still, TALAS upgrade and you're laughing. I'd never even looked at the AM before 🙂 Very nice, it is.

backhander
    Free Member

Orange re-spray it £ 175.00p including new Decales and bearings

😯

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty versus Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.