Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Land Rover starting issues
  • spudgun1

I know this should be on LRO.com but they cannae recognise me password so its posted on here as theres always some very knowledgeable peeps on here.

Cannae start me 300TDI Defender with the key, all usual lights display then nothing when I try and turn it over. Have replaced the starter motor and checked the old one, checked battery, checked earth connections and wiring, everything appears fine. The engine doesn't even crank over, the only way I can start it is by using a screwdriver on the starter motor contacts, it starts every time this way in an instant. Once its going it seems to start fine.
    So does anyone know where else I should check?
    Thanks.

TheChunk
    Free Member

Immobiliser related maybe?

shedfull
    Free Member

Is it the starter solenoid? It should click when the key is turned but, if the solenoid contacts are toast, no power will go to the starter motor.

spudgun1

Starter solenoid clicks when the ignition is switched on, have checked the immobiliser and the stop solenoid on the injection pump just in case this was preventing fuel from entering the pump.
    Im thinking that its possibly a dodgy connection in the ignition wiring and have got hold of a wiring diagram, so I will spend tonight tinkering with wires. Still at least its less complicated than the bikes!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sounds like the starter solenoid to me too, or the wiring to it. If you can start it by bypassing the starter solenoid it sort of proves that the rest of the circuitry (immob, fuel pump stop solenoid etc) are working fine.

justme
    Free Member

you bought a land rover and expect it to run
    😉 odd!

coffeeking
    Free Member

🙂

My dad used to light a small fire under his old D landy in order to get it to the point where it would start (oil and fuel) in the winter. Funny. But it kept going. And going.

brack
    Free Member

Solenoid

Ticklinjock

Its because yer using yer front door key…. 😈

Ticklinjock

Did you replace the solenoid at the same time as the starter motor?
    They usually come as one as it piggy backs the motor.

spudgun1

Aye, new starter had new solenoid on it. I like the fire idea, I may just make a huge fire underneath and melt the whole thing;-) The shed is away at a mechanics today so hopefully he'll find the gremlin.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Land Rover starting issues’ is closed to new replies.