Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Lal Bikes Supre Drive – A Better Derailleur Solution?
  • stwhannah

Is this the week when all the stupid annoying bits of mountain bike tech are finally going to be fixed? We’ve already seen two takes on improving the …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Lal Bikes Supre Drive – A Better Derailleur Solution?

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

matt_outandabout

I’m going for a Honda DH bike style in frame derailleur box….

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    tomhoward

That WRP doesn’t look to be 12 speed though, like Lal is promising.

cedrico
    Free Member

That drivetrain is a fun concept, but it surely has a lot of drag because of the number of times the chain engages and disengages with sprockets. The Supre Drive doesn’t have the drag of that drivetrain or others like the Pinion gearbox. Also, that WRP drivetrain has a tiny cassette. It’s clear that it won’t replace conventional derailleur drivetrains.

honourablegeorge

cedrico

Also, that WRP drivetrain has a tiny cassette. It’s clear that it won’t replace conventional derailleur drivetrains.

Yeah, fine for a DH bike, but getting a 52t Eagle cassette in there?

andyspaceman

Interesting, would like to see more. My money would be on something similar to chainstay-mounted derailleur on the OTT FX-FR that was featured on this very site a week or two ago. Not sure what he’d have planned for the chain tensioning side of things, but there’s a few options out there that could be employed or adapted.

Superficial
    Free Member

WTF kind of news article is this? Can you let us know when there’s actually some news instead of attempting to manufacture hype for someone we’ve never heard of?

tomhoward

You only want news about things you already know about?

nickjb
    Free Member

ayjaydoubleyou
    sharkattack

If the thing in the article doesn’t have a price tag yet how can I complain about how expensive it is? Even worsely, if it doesn’t even exist yet I have to start inventing all kinds of reasons to criticise it and I resent being made to think that far.

ayjaydoubleyou

It looks like a normal (style, but proprietary) mech that is twisted up out of the way, added benefit of no chain growth due to high pivot.

Is it only the no chain growth that gives it its compact nature. With a redesigned chainstay would this work on any and all full sussers?

Still has the cassette and mech at the rear as unsprung mass, so not the game changer some may have hoped for.

thepurist

It’d better be good cos it sure aint pretty.

ayjaydoubleyou

It’d better be good cos it sure aint pretty.

I’m unclear on the purpose of the company. Are they trying to sell the unique drivetrain which requires a proprieatry frame/rear triangle, and thus necessitating a test bike to put it on for marketing purposes?

Or are they trying to sell the full bike? Because needlessly low top tube is an aesthetical no from me (and is reminiscent of the Sick! frames).

Working with to-be-named north american brand may suggest the former.

Superficial
    Free Member

No, I want news that actually includes some information.

Which we now have. It looks interesting.

molgrips
    Free Member

A Better Derailleur Solution?

Another one?

ayjaydoubleyou

Now I’ve read the article on the other website, I’m coming round to the idea, it has cleverly combined the high pivot/idler suspension, with a more compact and efficient deraillier set up in a way that previously had two separate (and therefore non optimal) systems. Colour me impressed.

Front triangle still fugly though.

honourablegeorge

Considering he just bought himself a welder and taught himself welding, the bike looks great. And he’s not selling the bike – he wants to manufacture the system and sell it to bike companies, and seems he has one lined up already

Good luck to him, it’s clever.

BruceWee

Bollocks, I had this idea about two months ago.

I also had the idea about Colnago’s Blockchain bike register thing about a year ago.

I really have to start doing something about these things.

mick_r

I quite like that. Already having ideas of the hardtail frame I could make around it.

drinfinity
    Free Member

I like that concept. A cyclocross version would be interesting – our family goes through about one mech per 3 races between us.

nickc

Given that bikes with one idler pulley system are draggy as *****, two idler pulleys are going to be a nightmare.

*technical term

tomhoward

Given that bikes with one idler pulley system are draggy as *****, two idler pulleys are going to be a nightmare.

*technical term

It has the same number of pulleys as a regular drivetrain, high pivot idler bike. I’ve had no issues with extra pulleys, drag wise.

scaredypants

I like the idea – I’m not a smasher of mechs but still sounds good to me

agree that the frame’s ugly but then it’s a proof of concept thing

andyspaceman

Good lad, just watched the video. That’s some impressive work.
    I had a very innocuous low speed knock against a log earlier this year. Cost me a new mech, hanger, and new spokes and re-true in a near-new back wheel.
    Hopefully it has all the benefits he claims and this gets some momentum.

Gribs

I like that concept. A cyclocross version would be interesting – our family goes through about one mech per 3 races between us.

The front tensioner would soon fill with mud at a cross race.

shermer75
    Free Member

That was quick!

shermer75
    Free Member

Finally! Looks great. Wonder if it makes taking the wheel out or changing the chain harder

hodge1365

So, Honda were there first then…..

rootes1

Spliting the derailing part from the tensioner was how it was before Campag developed the ‘modern’ derailleur, with systems in the 1930’s like Osgear.

osgear

https://mariposabicycles.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Praderio_details_01-1024×683.jpg

andyspaceman

And is exactly how the 2 and 6 speed Bromptons shift between their rear cogs today.

johnnystorm

Bike looks OK to me. Makes sense to have a huge standover if you can only make one demo bike.

The system looks OK too. Not so wacky that no will entertain it, regardless of benefits (e.g. alt-sus forks).

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

The achilles heel of rear mechs being in the line of fire often comes up but if they were vulnerable we’d have ditched them years ago. It’s a problem that doesn’t exist.

ndthornton
    Free Member

It has the same number of pulleys as a regular drivetrain, high pivot idler bike. I’ve had no issues with extra pulleys, drag wise.

These pulleys are larger than the missing jockey wheel so might actually be more efficient.
    I think it’s ace

squirrelking
    Free Member

The achilles heel of rear mechs being in the line of fire often comes up but if they were vulnerable we’d have ditched them years ago. It’s a problem that doesn’t exist.

That’s a brave claim.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s clever and all that but man, just give me a 5 speed gearbox FFS.

cookeaa

They are vulnerable, but the issue manifests itself relatively rarely. I mean across all gear-dangler equipped bikes.

Mech smashing issues primarily affect off-road riders and mostly those participating towards the “Gnarr” end of the scale.

The problem that most alternative solutions to derailleurs face isn’t necessarily technical, it’s mostly market based, your main target group are a niche within a niche still. And when that solution potentially comes at a substantial premium converting interest to sales is even more challenging. If it could be sold in other areas it would have a better chance perhaps.

He’s done the right thing IMO; develop the idea into a working prototype, file patents and setup a company to act as the commercial side to his interests, then go looking for an established manufacturer because he’s not only pushing a drivetrain idea, it’s a whole bike essentially, and he won’t have the resources to turn that into a viable business on his own…

It’s clever and all that but man, just give me a 5 speed gearbox FFS.

Ta Da!*

(* Out of stock/probably not enough range/probably not quite what you had in mind).

ctk
    Free Member

Love it, hope it gets put into production.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Lal Bikes Supre Drive – A Better Derailleur Solution?’ is closed to new replies.