Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Lake District soon to be an underground Atomic dump
  • piemonster

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/nov/28/lake-district-radioactive-waste-grave

Might have been posted befored. I just don’t care enough to check.

Ennerdale seems to be the preferred choice.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Yes, let’s bury our nuclear waste under one of the most beautiful natural sites in England.

Which turd burglars came up with this idea? Can they not bury it in camerons garden or something more appropriate?

While we’re at it lets just use stonehenge as a refuse site.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a cop out.

Sellafields been here for years, everyone works there, its accepted. I guess they think everyone’ll just accept a big nuclear waste dump aswell.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well researched there.
    The proposed facility will be outside of the national park.
    The “Turd Burglars” have had a very wide consultation and Cumbria welcomed the opportunity.
    It is seen as both a key economic development for an area with limited well paid employment.
    It will mostly be relocating the waste held down the road at Sellafield (In Cumbria) into a long term storage facility in geologically stable area.
    Would you prefer we move it round the UK lots?

piemonster

You can use Stonehenge as a dump if you like, it’s rubbish anyway

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I still think it should go into the most stable geology in the UK rather than in fractured, fault ridden rock.

But alas the good people of London are not convinced by that argument.

I also think that the nuclear powerstations should be close to the sites they serve to save on transmission losses. But again, the people who live near such industrious centers don’t like such ideas.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Well researched there.

My bad, I’m an idiot *holds hands up* 😳 lol

You can use Stonehenge as a dump if you like, it’s rubbish anyway

Yes… Rubbish…. Boring place init. Thorpe park any day mate.

piemonster

It is quite boring, 2nd rate compared to Callanish. And that was also quite boring.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well researched there.

My bad, I’m an idiot *holds hands up* lol

Edited Piemonster?

aP
    Free Member

Well, don’t worry about the significant contamination of the west Lakes and all the coastline dating back to the early 50s, the huge stockpiles at Thorp and stuff just chucked in holes, the beaches that used to be regularly cordoned off for decontamination. Cos that’s already happened a d us there already.
    How about the cement factory at Shap? The millions of grockles pouring pollution and destroying the very things that they’re apparently going there for, the morons doing bloody 3 Peaks walks, the lack of real employment and the disenfranchisement of real locals?

piemonster

Nuffink to do with me, my posts remain as bad as they where when I typed ’em

bwaarp
    Free Member

Is it because I’ve studied just a teeny bit about radioactivity for my undergraduate project that I always fail to be alarmed by it?

It seems that radioactivity is a big scary monster to most people.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most of those to alarmed should also avoid Cornwall & Edinburgh too

bencooper
    Free Member

My grandfather-in-law was a pretty senior engineer at Windscale (Sellafield) – the stories would make your hair curl..

…then fall out.

piemonster

And Fife at Dalgety Bay

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yes, let’s bury our nuclear waste under one of the most beautiful natural sites in England.

How exactly will underground radioactive things make it less beautiful?

I suppose you’d prefer them to plaster the fellsides with wind turbines and access roads? That will make the area more beautiful i suppose?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My grandfather-in-law was a pretty senior engineer at Windscale (Sellafield) – the stories would make your hair curl..

…then fall out.

To be fair most industries (Coal/Steel/Construction/Asbestos) from the 50’s would. Comparing the industry then to now is a touch simplistic.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

…then fall out.

Yeh, they were all carefree hippies back then, who didnt really have a clue (about H&S)

kimbers

well as long as its well contained under the lake district and not on top of it sounds fair enough to me

piemonster

In the past ten years, over 10,000 American miners have died from CWP

Coalworker’s pneumoconiosis that is, according to wiki

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suppose you’d prefer them to plaster the fellsides with wind turbines and access roads? That will make the area more beautiful i suppose?

I’d call straw man, but Zulu knew this already, so let’s just ignore this one for now and stick to the discussion.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Edited Piemonster?

No, sorry that was my fault for not putting the quote’s in properly :mrgreen:

Northwind

It’s got to go somewhere. Not convinced this is a good site, geologically, though but that aside, they’re spot on that perception is as important as reality, in terms of attracting/putting off visitors.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    It’s got to go somewhere. Not convinced this is a good site, geologically, though but that aside, they’re spot on that perception is as important as reality, in terms of attracting/putting off visitors.

Missing the fact that a large proportion of it and the expertise and facilities to deal & process it are all ready there?

bullheart
    Free Member

Is it because I’ve studied just a teeny bit about radioactivity for my undergraduate project that I always fail to be alarmed by it?

It seems that radioactivity is a big scary monster to most people.

I worked out that I’m irradiated with around 1400 millisieverts per year.

I feel that radiation is a big scary monster.

piemonster

The lake district…. soon

bencooper
    Free Member

What do you mean “soon” – have you been to Whitehaven?

slowmart
    Free Member

What ever geographical location is chosen can I propose we build a scum/sink village on it.

Moses

No need to build one, Cleator Moor is there already

mt
    Free Member

Steady now, Cleator Moor is home to some.

Ennerdale is just not the right place. Why don’t they just drop it all into Wastewater, it’s deep and it will be a few years before anyone will notice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having passed through cleator moor not sure if they would notice.

I’m glad the stw committee fir managing the UK radiological waste has been assembled what’d is your answer. As the waste already exists there are no cop out answers acceptable. We need to do something about it.

mt
    Free Member

Ok Hodge Close?

bikebouy
    Free Member

So long as there is a huge comedy Arrow stuck in the ground pointing at it, I’m happy.

ransos
    Free Member

I also studied radioactivity as part of my degree. One of the areas of study were the plans for an underground repository in Cumbria.

Unlike you, I am alarmed by it.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Missing the fact that a large proportion of it and the expertise and facilities to deal & process it are all ready there?

If the public connect Lake district with nuclear dump, that’s likely to deter people. Doesn’t matter if it makes sense or not. And it’s an area that lives and dies on tourism- 12000 jobs in the park alone.

Not taking this into account would be missing the point, no? You can’t just assume people are rational and informed.

piemonster

We need to do something about it.

HGV, gaffer taped to keep the nastiness in. Drive it Slough, park up and walk away.

Done

TPTcruiser

Wrap it up in the glass and concrete and stainless steel (as it will be anyway) and drop it in a subduction zone on the ocean floor. Gets sucked in to the mantle.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ this, really this^^

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Lake District soon to be an underground

They’ll be burying the lake district???????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Lake District soon to be an underground Atomic dump’ is closed to new replies.