Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Laidback/Setback seatposts
  • z1ppy

Been using my brothers bike over the last week, and really don't like it due to it's short TT, it's already got a laidback seat post on it (with seat right back) but was wondering about how far you can get them to go back (ie: is a thomson worth it).
    Brother is of similar height to me and struggles a bit, so was wondering about it on his behalf and not only mine…
    So any recommendation for cheap seatpost with lots of 'setback' to test weither is will help?

singlespeedstu

What size is the post?

foxyrider
    Free Member

you can get a 7 or a 10 degreee thompson – I just got a 7 degree layback as I recently went from 100mm stem to 70 and just want another 10-15mm back to be comfy 🙂

wwaswas

If you go to far back you'll be causing yourselves problems in other areas – might be worth going for a longer stem as well to try and keep your weight central but if the frame's too small you'll always struggle a bit.

Fop
    Free Member

A Thomson post won't necessarily give you any more than using a straight post with a set-back clamp beacuse the clamps on Thomson posts are in-line. Basically they achieve the set-back by bending the post, not positioning the clamp further back.

z1ppy

Stu it's a 30mm one.

Wwaswas – frame size is fine (next size up was monsterous) but the TT length on this model is just shorter (brother's choice, but he hadn't much bike experience when he bought it), 1" shorter than my own bike, you wouldn't have thought it matter that much, but it feels awful to me. Stem is already a 100mm so wouldn't want to extend that.

Fop, yeah been looking at the thomson site, it only give a 16mm set back, so I'm thinking the setback post fitted might already be that or more but am not sure…

spooky_b329

Agree with above, Thomson posts don't give much set back, even less so when you realise that the part that clamps the saddle rails is longer than other posts, meaning fore-aft adjustment of the saddle is also limited compared to other posts.

I needed a long post with decent setback, I settled for a Salsa post, the Shaft has the same setback clamp design, though can't remember if my post is the same model.

wwaswas

Z1ppy – I still think you'll have handling issues if you keep moving yourself back – the effective seat tube angle's going to be *really* slack.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Agree with everyone – I am going from an inline thomson to a layback so should notice a wee bit of difference but after reading the actal OP 😉 you may get into trouble with you rear position in relation to the pedals and weight being too far back esp for climbing even with a 100mm stem?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Laidback/Setback seatposts’ is closed to new replies.