Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lacing an Easton tubeless rim with j bend spokes?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have a tubeless Easton carbon rim which uses the spoke nipples which thread into the rim. I want to use the rim to build up a new wheel for a different bike, but it currently uses straight pull and I was wondering whether you can use j-bend spokes. I suspect you cannot as if I am correct do you rotate the straight pull one inserted to take up the slack into the nipple before then tightening the nipple into the rim?

coatesy
    Free Member

From dim and distant memory, I think you’re right.

lardman
    Free Member

No, you just do the spoke nipples up as usual, the threaded inserts are reverse threaded*, so the spoke nipple just tightens into that. Any spoke type will do.

I’ve re-laced a pair onto hope hubs as the Easton were rubbish.

* to the beat of my knowledge…. but I did re-use the straight pull spokes, with hope SP hubs. So I never actually replaced them with J-bend. So maybe ignore my rubbish response.

lardman
    Free Member

Beware tho’ 2 of the rim inserts have come loose in my rim, so they’re not very secure.

bigyan
    Free Member

If I am thinking of the correct Easton UST style rims then when replacing a spoke you fit the spoke in the hub, apply loctite 222ms to the spoke threads, fully thread the nipple onto the spoke, oil the external nipple threads then screw into the rim without unscrewing the nipple from the spoke

Not sure that is going to work with J bend as you cant turn the spoke with the nipple to screw it into the rim?

bigyan
    Free Member

No, you just do the spoke nipples up as usual, the threaded inserts are reverse threaded, so the spoke nipple just tightens into that. Any spoke type will do.

I’ve re-laced a pair onto hope hubs as the Easton were rubbish.

Did you start both threads simultaneously and screw into the rim as you screwed onto the nipple?

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve edited my post, as I realised I was maybe talking shit. I actually reused the straight pull spokes and re-laced them onto hope hubs. The spokes were regular ones and when I rebuilt it, I seem to recall I just used a spoke key to engage the spoke into the nipple, and continued as normal.

flanagaj
    Free Member

If I am thinking of the correct Easton UST style rims then when replacing a spoke you fit the spoke in the hub, apply loctite 222ms to the spoke threads, fully thread the nipple onto the spoke, oil the external nipple threads then screw into the rim without unscrewing the nipple from the spoke

Not sure that is going to work with J bend as you cant turn the spoke with the nipple to screw it into the rim?

Thanks for the video. Agreed that a J bend spoke won’t work.

enmac
    Free Member

I have done this with Easton Haven carbon rims and Bitex j-bend hubs. I wanted to go from 135mm QR to 142 bolt through and this was the cheapest way. It’s a bit tricky but not impossible. You have thread the nipple onto the spoke and the rim at the same time, otherwise you will run out of thread at one end. When you turn the nipple it will tighten on both spoke and rim. Having done it once, next time I would get straight pull hubs to make it easier, but what I’ve ended up with works fine.

sirromj

Just found this thread as I’m thinking about getting a rear EA70 XCT 26″ wheel back up and running true. Need to replace a few spokes.

I went a bit gungho at it unfortunately and may have killed some threads as a couple of nipples just spin in the rim. It doesn’t look like they screw directly into the rim, but into something else, and it’s this that is spinning – unless it is just a washer that’s secured itself to the nipple.

Going by ebay, it looks cheaper to buy an entire wheel than several of the nipples.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lacing an Easton tubeless rim with j bend spokes?’ is closed to new replies.