Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Kitchen Knives – what’s your recommendation?
  • tekp2
    Free Member

Wusthof Classic if you want European style; Kai Shun if you want Japanese. Both are great. A 20cm chef’s knife will cover most bases.

Add a 1000/6000 whetstone and use it every 3-6 months, and you’re set for a long time.

zilog6128

How do you snap a knife?
    Opening paint tins or something?

this. Is your wife Mrs Shrek? 😉😂 Had the same global for going on 10 years now. Goes through the dishwasher every day. 😀

Actually, is it just because you don’t bother to keep them sharp? So have to use way too much force to cut root veg?

zilog6128

How do you snap a knife?
    Opening paint tins or something?

this. Is your wife Mrs Shrek? 😉😂 Had the same global for going on 10 years now. Goes through the dishwasher every day. 😀

Actually, is it just because you don’t bother to keep them sharp? So have to use way too much force to cut root veg?

No idea if Sabatier are considered good enough for STW of course!

Sabatier isn’t actually a brand – just a marketing gimmick the same as “giclee” paintings! Anyone can use it, doesn’t really mean anything.

Daffy

It’s not just us that’re having problems:

Link to Twitter

silverneedle
    Free Member

It is surprising how usefull and versatile a 13cm utility / petty knife is. Recomending what I got is a Robert herder Japaniche formen petty in carbon steel, but something similar from TK max would be alot cheaper but still work. Look for overall thinness of the blade and you wont go far wrong.

mattyfez

It is surprising how usefull and versatile a 13cm utility / petty knife is

I bought my mate one of these utility knives last year for xmas, he only has a tiny kitchen but loves cooking, so it’s kinda like, if you can only have one decent knife, utility knives are small enough for fine work but also big enough to cope as a small chefs knife, a jack of all trades, if you will.

I kinda bought it on a whim but he told me in strict confidence it’s the best present he can remember getting, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, hahah!

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-elite-x80-utility-knife-13cm-5in

mattyfez

carbon steel

Anecdotally, I’ve previously read up up on kitchen knives and carbon content is an interesting topic. From what I can gather about 0.8% to 1.0% carbon is generally considered best, the carbon content makes the steel harder, but also brittle so there is a happy medium between hardness and flexibility. Too much and it can snap/shatter if it’s droped or mishandled.

Also additives like chromium make the blade less prone to discolouration. There are litteraly forums out there, where people will argue all day long about the best steel alloy combinations for kitchen knives, a bit like STW, but for cooks! 😀

seadog101

Sabatier always.

We got a set of 4 when we were married, 27 years ago. The wooden bits of the handles are now starting to crack-up a bit, one blade has a small dent on the cutting edge, the tip of one has a wee bend in it. I might just need to buy the same again, shortly before I die.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s hard to argue for going for anything other than Victorinox Fibrox if you just want a decent knife. Wusthof Classic is a step up in finish (and I prefer the handle shape) but you’re not really getting a noticeably better blade. Personally my preference is I.O.Shen knives, sort of a mash up between Japanese steel and western style handle (although the handles are big so won’t be comfortable if you don’t have big hands), they’re £80-150 per knife though and if I’m honest don’t really perform any better than a Fibrox :p

I certainly wouldn’t spend more than Fibrox money if you’re also not going to invest in a couple of whetstones + taking the time to practice as once the edge has dulled you won’t get it back with just a steel or running it through a pull through sharpener (it might initially feel sharper but that’s mostly the microscopically serrated edge a pull through will put on it which will soon wear away).

DrJ

I got an Anolon chefs knife from John Lewis.

Plus, useful when your haemorrhoids get out of control.

jimdubleyou

We’ve had our global knives as long as we’ve been married – nearly 15 years.

Some of them could do with a proper sharpening now (can bring them back with the steel as above, dulls quickly), but never felt like one was going to snap!

Have you tried their warranty?

saxabar
    Free Member

Likely the instant coffee of kitchen knives, but I’ll say it: Kitchen Devils! Tried a few of above brands and, while great for a while, they soon dull. Kitchen Devils totally ample for my needs.

paton
    Free Member

Good enough for the MOD, army, navy, RAF

https://sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/Kitchen-Knives-p1.html

ElShalimo

Victorinox Fibrox is more than anyone needs. Get the ones with rosewood handles if you feel flush.

All you need is a chef’s knife, a paring knife and a pastry knife for cutting cakes, bread, tomatoes etc. That’ll cover 95+% of stuff you need to cut.

BenjiM

I’ve been using the same knives from Russums for 25 years. My sister bought them when she studied catering in the 90’s and then passed them on to me when I studied catering. I’ve been using them on a daily basis, as long as they’re kept shape and an looked after (i.e. not used for prying things open they’re fine and the tips don’t get snapped. If someone else is going to use your expensive Global knives, don’t have expensive Global knives. Hygiplas ones from Nisbets are fine and I’ve never had a problem with them in a food production environment. Oh and they’re cheap if someone uses them to open paint tins.

paton
    Free Member
    dyna-ti

https://michaelmayknives.com/shop/

I like the look of that marking knife. Might find its way into the Christmas stocking if I put in enough hints about it.

(Kiridashi knife – £40)

colournoise

dyna-ti
    I like the look of that marking knife. Might find its way into the Christmas stocking if I put in enough hints about it.
    (Kiridashi knife – £40)

That Nakiri looks lovely too, but a bit spendy given I’ve already got knives in a similar style.

frogstomp

Zwilling Henckels for me.

I bought this set last year and have been very happy with them. Good price anyway but even better if you can sign up for a business account and get 50% off (which is what I did).

I subsequently sold the unused block on eBay, so the knife set ended up only being about £40 in the end. Having decent scissors is a bit of a revelation too!

mattyfez

I bought this set last year and have been very happy with them.

Forged from special stainless steel

😀

Must be special then.

andylc
    Free Member

I have used Global knives for ages and cannot for the life of me work out how you could snap one during normal use.
    Have you tried contacting them? There appears to be a 35 year extended warranty on Global knives in the UK.

Merak

The answer here is always Victorinox. I bought their kitchen set a couple of years ago for my new place.

They are still lethal, like to the bone if you’re not paying attention. Best £60 I’ve ever spent.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are interested in a street food knives then have a look at all these Thai made knives.

Not expensive, may be cheap, and hold the edge rather well. The design however may or may not to your liking. I am going to buy a few for collection.

Thai knives

freeagent
    Free Member

The answer here is always Victorinox. I bought their kitchen set a couple of years ago for my new place.

They are still lethal, like to the bone if you’re not paying attention. Best £60 I’ve ever spent.

Agreed. i had an evening in hospital this time last year after slicing the fingerprint off one of my fingers with a 25+ year old Victorinox.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Those kom kom sound good steel, I have not tried them but I only like the look of the “special blade ” versions. the way the others are gound looks cheap and will result in poor performance and hard to sharpen well. Also generaly the handles look like not much knuckle clearance.

chewkw
    Free Member

Those kom kom sound good steel, I have not tried them but I only like the look of the “special blade ” versions. the way the others are gound looks cheap and will result in poor performance and hard to sharpen well. Also generaly the handles look like not much knuckle clearance.

Most are stainless steel and very light (my mum has a few). Feel cheap but get the job done.
    Yes, some of the designs may not have the right knuckle clearance, I think Java design has less, and is an issue because culturally they use their knives very differently from the West. I am interested in their cleavers or large knives only.

jonno101
    Free Member

Some stunning knives here, just incase you have spare cash.
    https://japaneseknifecompany.com/product-category/knives/ultimate-luxury/

Got a big birthday coming soon and ask for this

Yoshi 69 Layer Nakiri 160mm

You probably only need few really good knives, and nice ones are a joy to use.

CountZero

I have used Global knives for ages and cannot for the life of me work out how you could snap one during normal use.

I’ve heard that using one to smash garlic bulbs can break them, because the blade is welded to a hollow handle, so sideways force can snap the joint.

Owning two ProCook knives, a Nakiri and a Santoku, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more of them, and wholeheartedly recommend them, they’re very good German steel, with wood and canvas Micarta scales on the handles, they’re very comfortable to hold, and it’s difficult to imagine them getting damaged, and they’re almost certainly going to outlive me.

Pieface

I’ve been pleased with the Ikea 365 knives.

duncancallum
    walowiz

Timely

Any recommendations for a full set with block that aren’t rubbish, or cost loads ?

Quick google and there’s shedloads to look through

chewkw
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a full set with block that aren’t rubbish, or cost loads ?

That’s tricky but those from Zwilling Henckels should be a safe bet coz I have a few of their slicing cleaver, or those from John Lewis or Fenwick should be ideal too. Go for the steel with high carbon.

halifaxpete

That’s tricky but those from Zwilling Henckels should be a safe bet coz I have a few of their slicing cleaver, or those from John Lewis or Fenwick should be ideal too. Go for the steel with high carbon.

Thanks for that shout I’ve been looking good-but-not-silly-money knife set now I’m getting into cooking more, Gone for a 7 piece set down to £100 that seems great value!

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.