Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Kirroughtree and Glentrool on a singlespeed?
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m up there week after next for a few days, wondering if the trails at Kirroughtree are good on a SS (or are they dead flat and spinny at 32:16)?

What about the big Glentrool route?

ton

i did kirroughtree on a ss rigid 29r.
    it was tough, but i am no flyer as you know.
    it is pretty smooth imo, probably the most suited to a rigid ss of all the trail centres.

BoardinBob

I did the big route at Glentrool a few years ago. There’s a pretty big climb to start with and an even bigger climb about half way round. The trails are all forest road and well surfaced but given the overall length, it may be a bit much on a SS

roundwheels
    Free Member

at the moment i would take a snow plough

mick_r

We are also up there week after next (half term week). Kirroughtree red / black is ace on a singlespeed. Just 1 short slab that I need to push up. Heartbreak hill is ss do-able with a few rest stops. Mcmoab isn’t much fun ss but not impossible.

Not sure about Glentrool. 1 big road / fireroad loop so may be a bit spinny.

Garry_Lager

Kirroughtree would be excellent on a SS, not flat but no real substantial hills either. The biggest climb would be unpleasant on 32:16, but quite doable if you’re fit.

Garry_Lager

That’s a good point, McMoab wouldn’t be that good on a SS – you’d be dabbing left right and centre unless you knew it like the back of your hand.

grumm
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I found that climb from the road (heartbreak hill?) on the black at Kirroughtree hard enough with gears – I hadn’t been biking long then and I’m a fair bit fitter now, but that just sounds like masochism to me.

ton

i walked up.

mick_r

McMoab ss is gratuitous grunt-dab-thrutch-crunch-where are the bl**** blue arrows-dab-slip-bump-bump-bump-bump-dab-ooff! Having done it a few times to prove a point now just loop round it and enjoy the rest of the place.

The singletrack after heartbreak hill is sufficient reward for the oxygen used to get a ss up there.

What days are you riding there Terrahawk?

Don’t forget to stop at Sulwath brewery in Castle Douglas. Mmmmm wheat beer.

sing1etrack

I don’t think I’ve ever changed gear as much in a day’s riding as I did at Kirroughtree! I’m sticking with gears next time I go. Agree with mick_r on the attraction of mcmoab – I’ll give it a miss next time.

Daffy

I don’t think you’ll be doing McMoab on the SS.

terrahawk
    Free Member

mick – were up there from the 14th until the Wednesday after. Hopefully I’ll be riding at least once every day, either at Glentrool or Kirroughtree.

Daffy – we’ll see 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

SSUK was at Kirroughtree last year, so that may be a clue to how good it is on a SS.

I don’t think you’ll be doing McMoab on the SS.

Done that on a 36:18 with Trailrakers on! Thats doable too!

MussEd
    Free Member

Terrahawk – the other centres nearer Dumfries are worth a visit if you’re in the area for few days, Dalbeattie especially. Probably about 45 mins from Newton Stewart/Kirroughtree?

I love all these macho posturings that emerge once someone says a particular climb is difficult. That Heartbreak Hill climb is a right ****, gears or not.

terrahawk
    Free Member

MussEd – thanks for the tip. We’ve been up to Dumfries a few times and ridden Dalbeattie/Mabie – never Kirroughtree though (which is a crime really).

I still fancy that big country 50-odd K loop at Glentrool though.

sheldona
    Free Member

I love all these macho posturings that emerge once someone says a particular climb is difficult. That Heartbreak Hill climb is a right ****, gears or not.

Nothing Macho about riding McMoab? Heartbreak Hill is a stern walk though 🙂

a11y

SSUK was at Kirroughtree last year, so that may be a clue to how good it is on a SS.

You’re thinking of Drumlanrig (if it’s 2008 you’re talking about).

Kirroughtree is one of the better trail centres on a SS – as already said it’s just a couple of short, sharp climbs over slabs, etc that could be a problem.

Glentrool: too long to be fun on a SS IMO

BoardinBob

I still fancy that big country 50-odd K loop at Glentrool though

58km 😯

richc
    Free Member

which loop is that? as I am up there in May (ages away I know) and am after additional routes to ride other than trail centers

edit: scratch that just found it.

sheldona
    Free Member

a11y, you’re right my heads all over the place today LOL

singlespeedstu

On the wine again sheldon? 😛

stoney
    Free Member

I ran my Pace ss round there on 32-18. Quite spinny in some parts but just right in others. Mcmoab was OK, just a coupl of dabs and almost nailed H.B hill…..

enjoy……

trail_rat
    Free Member

not sure about glentrool but i did 10 at kirroughtree(ok it didnt go right to the top but it did go up heartbreak hill) 2 years ago solo on a singlespeed ….and it didnt make much difference vs the geared guys …i got 7th

terrahawk
    Free Member

sod it. I’ve got a van. I’ll take 2 bikes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Kirroughtree and Glentrool on a singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.