• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kindle Paperwhite 3G Is it worth it !
  • grantway
    Free Member

I am looking at an e reader but I cannot justify £ 169 for just a ebook reader
    Kindle paperwhite 3G

As for £ 80 more I can have an Apple iPad mini ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you really need 3G? Just load up a shit ton of books when on WiFi.

If you do really need 3G, then the iPad Mini for £80 more isn’t 3G.

Cougar

An iPad Mini is not an e-reader. They’re different devices for different tasks.

The Paperwhite is absolutely worth it, the 3G less so IMHO. The only sensible argument I’ve heard for needing 3G is to get newspapers when on holiday, and I don’t read the things when I’m here even.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Currys are selling off the original iPad mini 3G and non 3G for £249. I echo your comment and just get the standard kindle and load it up with books. Problem with iPads as an ereader is battery life. Kindles you treat as book and take everywhere with you and 99% of the time it will have enough charge to read a chapter. iPad your a bit more precious about and 10 hours battery doesn’t give you the same freedom.

spooky_b329

If you want to read, get a cheap kindle. Mine is not 3g and I’ve probably tethered it to my phone just once or twice to get a new book…so don’t think it’s worth the extra.

McHamish
    Free Member

I have a paper white…great device for reading.

I don’t like reading on my ipad.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I’ve got the Normal paper bright (not 3G) its really good. Read loads while offshore(cause i dont watch football).
    Cant think the 3G would benifit anyone. As above if you really need to down load something while out you could teather it to a phone. Or nip past a coffee shop wireless.

Northwind

Standard Paperwhite is superb, can’t say I’ve ever had any use for 3G on mine.

dannybgoode

I had the Keyboard 3G but that had unlimited internet access so could check email etc whilst on holiday and not suffer roaming charges.

Amazon have locked the 3G access down now to only receiving books so not really worth having.

Either loaf it up with books before you go out hook into a free WiFi point if you’re desperate.

Non 3G Paper white is currently £100 and it’s brilliant. Would not be without one even with a tablet also. Reading on it is an absolute pleasure.

If you are an occasional reader a tablet may be OK but if you read a lot a dedicated reader more than makes sense.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Personally the 3G bit would be of zero benefit to me. I have a non-paperwhite Kindle and an iPad and I agree with craigxxl- there’s still a lot of sense in a dedicated eReader for a few reasons- lighter, it basically always has battery, bit less precious.
    That said, my Kindle was a present and the iPad is through work!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

3G is only useful if you need a book when you can’t get on wifi surely?

A bit of planning and that “I need a book NOW” is solved.

bigrich

it’s very good. nearly as good a reading experience as having a page, and the browsing for books thing with the 3G is really good for travelling. shiny LCD ipad doesn’t compare.

so, if you read a lot and would make use of a dedicated reader, get one, if you occasionally read, get an ipad.

eskay

We picked up one at the weekend in sainsburys, they are selling off the e ink version for £49. My son wanted one as he is always borrowing my wife’s.

mtbtom
    Free Member

If you have a modern Android or Apple phone you can share you 3G connection from that over wifi. That’s what I do on the very rare occasion I want to buy a book when there’s no wifi.

As for whether it’s worth yet. Yes, definitely! 🙂 I read more books since I got my Kindle, which is only a good thing. The backlit Paperwhite screen is great for low light too.

PePPeR

I like not having the 3g, I then concentrate on reading rather than flitting through everything else.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can get anti-glare screens for tablets that make them more like a color e-book experience – I have a coverup one on my nexus 10 and it is excellent.

I can also use mantano reader to read the books at night, which can invert the blacks and whites, and along with a screen filter I can have the white intensity down pretty low to read at night, which is nice.

atlaz
    Free Member

+whatever – Get a non-3G paperwhite. You won’t regret it

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kindle Paperwhite 3G Is it worth it !’ is closed to new replies.