Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another cyclist injured…
  • p8ddy
    Free Member

On Dumbarton Rd, Glasgow, just next to Partick Police station. Looks fairly serious.

The cyclist was hit by a car door, flung onto the road and hit by the car behind him. I’ve seen cyclists on this section of the road riding without lights in the dark – but this happened broad daylight. I guess it’s hit home a little because it’s the road I ride to work on every day. And the same road that the Police never, ever, penalise drivers for sitting in the advanced cycle zone at the traffic lights. THe traffic lights just before where the cyclist was taken out. Basically, without the advanced lane you have to maneuver by parked cars and it’s unpleasant at the best of times. I was hit by a bus there (didn’t see me when veering across the carriageway to get to a bus stop without fully overtaking me) not long ago, thankfully not injured, but I saw the accident waiting to happen. Spoke to the police about it, but nada. Same drivers every day in the same advanced cycle lane, and then the same lottery for cyclists getting past parked cars where everything is narrow (and cars are frequently double parked). So, now we have a cyclist with severe head injuries in hospital. And a police station on the same stretch of road, where drivers flout the law daily in full view of said station.

The same station btw that frequently has a Police van parked on double yellows on the inside lane of a dodgy part of Dumbarton Rd, 25 yards away from the station house. Why? Because they’re in the local take away.

Apologies chaps, just need to vent. Not happy. And I don’t know what it’ll take before the police will take road safety seriously.

In all seriousness, it’s much safer to jump the light at this junction than play the left hook or shit overtake lottery that this stretch has became (although this will see fools like MagnaTom (the activist cyclist) chase you down and whine at you for being a ‘numpty’).

mudmonster
    Free Member

There were police at Oxford circus last week. I pulled up over the white line and the policewoman asked me to go behind the line. I asked her why they don’t ask the same for motorists in the advanced stop zone. She said they did. In 10 years of riding around London I have not once seen them say anything to a driver in the advanced stop zone. After this a bus obviously jumped the red light (as they do a lot) on the other side of the road. They did nothing of course.

p8ddy
    Free Member

mudmonster – It’s fairly scary the way that police approach ‘road safety’. Disappointing that it’s the same across the country. Given that cyclists have already been the subject of a police ‘campaign’ you’d think they’d reciprocate with a similar crackdown on motorists. Apparently not.

I was in court defending (successfully!) a speeding ticket (unsigned, unlit motorway slip road, driver got a ticket for exceeding 30mph at 11pm). 6 cases in the morning before mine was called. All in, 7 cases, the Police officers didn’t show for any of them. Loads of excuses, but no cops. All in, 100% of the Police officers supposed to show didn’t, leading to several trials being adjourned with new dates). There are times I think the police have no respect for the law.

Nobby

I nearly got taken out by a psycho earlier who, during the frank discussion we had, said he’d done it because he’s sick of “you bloody cyclists causing delays on my road”. We had the ‘road tax’ debate – I won – and as I was turning to leave I suggested driving like that could kill someone. His response……”I hope so”.

Stupidly, I didn’t stick his reg no on my phone so when I ran the local Police they weren’t interested as I didn’t have that info despite descriptions of him, his vehicle and the address where he turned into. I popped up there in my car earlier but there was no sign of his posy Prius but I guess it could be in the garage – what I didm’t expect was 2 separate properties at the end of the driveway.

I’ve emailed further up the food chain to see what response I get.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Nobby – it’s sad that the basically, the police won’t act because you’re to ‘blame’ for not getting his reg no. In all seriousness – how many of us are level headed enough to even *consider* getting the reg number after the shock of the incident. I’m going to guess not many.

I hope you get a decent response. Until police start chasing these things down we’ll be regarded as, at best, an inconvenience on the road.

Nobby

I’d normally write him off as a d***head but it was his final comment that made me feel I must report him.

mountainman

Lady cyclist found on the road in Cork in eire last night,Gardi are appealing for witnesses too.Kanturk Gardi station
    Do seem to find that most Irish drivers are better at giving space to cyclists thou.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/female-cyclist-seriously-hurt-in-co-cork-collision-1.1751917

project
    Free Member

saw motorised cyclists bike today in middle of road,car had hit him then gone accross the road into a brick building, serious damage to car and bike, police said motorised cyclist had a broken arm, if i was a few minutes earlier it could have been me.The car driver was ok just standing there awaiting police to chat to him probably.

p8ddy
    Free Member

project – Not good. Seems it’s been a fairly bad weekend for accidents. A serious hit and run in Scotland too. 🙁

p8ddy
    Free Member

mountainman – Drivers in Eire seem pretty decent. With the exception of Dalkey and Dublin, where everything seems to be an out take from a Starsky and Hutch episode, and red lights a challenge! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclist injured…’ is closed to new replies.