Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Killer ebiker
  • poly
    Free Member

Didnt think the cyclist had been charged other than failure to report.

He’s not been charged with anything at this stage.  He has been arrested and released pending further inquiries.  AFAIK s170 RTA does not apply to bicyles and presumably therefore not to peddle assist ebikes, therefore whilst leaving the scene is a bit of a shit thing to do it is not in itself a crime.

neilwheel
    Free Member

That street is a 20mph limit, as is most of London.

There’s plenty of lads riding around London with throttle only ebikes, saw a group on Stealth Bomber type bikes on the street yesterday. It’s hard to tell from the footage but he does not seem to be peddling. I’ll bet on it being a “rev and go” not pedal assist, and that’s why he dumped the bike.

DezB
    Free Member

would you be defending a motorist in the same circumstances?

Pretty sure the answer is in the post above yours.

Now ask someone else a question. Or am I your favourite?

squirrelking
    Free Member

No, just seemed an odd departure from your usual heavily biased stance on motorist responsibility.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve not viewed the video, but it was suggested in an article earlier in the week that she had a green man and he jumped a red light…  running acrosss the road makes more sense if that is true, has anyone seen footage where you can see the lights?

DezB
    Free Member

your usual heavily biased stance on motorist responsibility.

..and eBikes, no doubt.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Traffic has a green light up until the footage is cut just before the collision, maybe one second difference. When the footage restarts the traffic has a red light, by then there are a number of other people standing in the road.

imnotverygood

No. On the full video he had a green light & she effectively runs into the side of him.

twowheels
    Free Member

Here is a completely unscientific assessment of the speed assuming the CCTV is in real time.

At 5s eBiker appears to have just swerved around a car pulling out of Sandringham Road.

Using Google maps and the GIMP measuring tool I estimate this is 57m from the crossing, which he hasn’t quite reached at 10s.

This suggest his maximum speed could be 11.4 metres per second or 25.5mph.

Cyclist in front looks slower indeed but seems to be mincing somewhat.  Overall I’m not convinced this was a chipped (>15.5mph) eBike.  No idea why he’d abandon it (if stolen surely he’d just leave it at the scene even if concussed) and pretty horrible to just leave.

drlex
    Free Member

He’s not been charged with anything at this stage.  He has been arrested and released pending further inquiries…

poly, you are right – he’s not been charged and has been released. The report I read had the cyclist being considered for both causing GBH and failing to stop and report; the possible second charge indicating an initial view that the pedal-assist bicycle is a motor vehicle, which to my mind is incorrect.

twowheels
    Free Member

Actually, given how the misleading the new stories are I would not be surprised if “he abandoned the eBike shortly after” actually means “he locked it nearby because it was clearly unrideable and he decided to take the bus home”.

antigee

anagallis_arvensis        Member

A cyclist was killed in Reading not long ago by someone crossing without looking. No charges were brought.

Posted 9 hours ago REPLY | REPORT

Kelvin           Subscriber

Did it make headline news in the national media?  [ rhetorical question ]

That’s the not funny one about the two adults that come out of a pub and run across the road to get to the sweetshop……The Daily Mail covered it and like the Coroner blamed the cyclist….

Cyclist died after running down pedestrian who stepped into his path as he raced through busy junction as lights changed to red

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4858530/Cyclist-died-running-pedestrian.html

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/helmet-would-not-saved-life-13583669

“Collision investigator Kevin Spiller said CCTV showed the cyclist was travelling at around 24mph, but he was unable to tell what colour the nearby set of traffic lights were when Mr Pedley rode past them”

for some hard to fathom reason it seems that cyclists are expected to behave on the road differently to the majority of road users and need to take the rap….as to the ebike pedestrian death replace ebike with motorbike and sympathy would probably be with the injured and shocked rider – replace the ebike with a car and it wouldn’t be news at all

(not withstanding the above the death of the pedestrian involved is obviously a terrible event)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooh! Do now we can direct link to the Mail? What joy.

stevextc
    Free Member

for some hard to fathom reason it seems that cyclists are expected to behave on the road differently to the majority of road users

Well exactly…. though I doubt as you mean.

Cyclists are expected to disregard rules that other road users are expected to follow.

This however only applies right until a very serious injury or death… as soon as that happens it’s a reset to expectations ..

That includes travelling at an appropriate speed and able to stop if/when a pedestrian walks in front without looking or a kid chases their ball between parked cars etc..  or a cyclist runs a red light and gets hit.. or despite being lit up like a Christmas Tree didn’t have the correct BS certified pedal reflectors etc.

The video makes it pretty obvious the woman just walks/runs out into the road (and on green for the traffic) … however her expectation is the cars will stop anyway…  or she was expecting to hear a car (which is obviously not going to happen for an electric vehicle) …

The (e-)cyclist contributed to this by failing to stop…  but they were not the cause.

The news papers simply want to create a hype and get their comments pages as full of as much hatred as possible, generate more clicks and get more revenue.

The single story is a person (gender and ethnicity irrelevant) crosses on green traffic without looking and gets hit by a road user (type irrelevant) and sadly dies.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s plenty of lads riding around London with throttle only ebike

which is fine as long as it is a conversion and the max speed of assistence and power ratings are the same as for a pedelec.

I’m about to build one.

neilwheel
    Free Member

TURNER GUY – I think there was a change of law in January 2016, to give separate classes for pedal assist and throttle only, maybe have a search just to double check for yourself.

DezB
    Free Member

The single story is a person (gender and ethnicity irrelevant) crosses on green traffic without looking and gets hit by a road user (type irrelevant) and sadly dies.

This is it. I wonder if any of the news stories have actually used the word “accident”.

philjunior
    Free Member

Things can be someones fault, but that doesn’t mean other people weren’t contributing factors.

This, but by the same token it doesn’t mean everyone involved who has contributed to an accident is criminally liable.

Let’s put it another way though, if this was an MTBer that had barreled out of a bridleway onto a straight NSL road and been wiped out by a car travelling at 60 (or, more comparably to this case, considerably less than 60), would we be blaming the driver?

I still wonder whether the ebike was chipped as per the last thread. But if not I can’t see any criminal responsibility.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

would we be blaming the driver?

on this forum ? Yes.

scaredypants

I still wonder whether the ebike was chipped as per the last thread. But if not I can’t see any criminal responsibility.

Chipped or not, the contribution to the death would only be speed IMO and it doesn’t look to me as though cyclist was doing much (if any) above 20 which would be legit on a pushbike, car, truck or whatever.  May have been using an illegal vehicle but unlike fakenger-kid last time round, this one presumably had 2 working brakes

As far as going more slowly is concerned, my experience of busy “urban community” roads is that people don’t just step/run out at official crossings (though this one did), so traffic would have to go more slowly along its entire length.  What speed would we suggest ?

DezB
    Free Member

would we be blaming the driver?

I got hit myself in similar circumstances to that described and I certainly didn’t (don’t) blame the driver, despite my, ahem “usual heavily biased stance”.

stevextc
    Free Member

Chipped or not, the contribution to the death would only be speed IMO and it doesn’t look to me as though cyclist was doing much (if any) above 20 which would be legit on a pushbike, car, truck or whatever.  May have been using an illegal vehicle but unlike fakenger-kid last time round, this one presumably had 2 working brakes

Yep I don’t see how it being chipped or not makes any difference to the accident.

.. it probably not only had 2 working brakes but big tyres and pretty much as much braking as is possible on a cycle.

As far as going more slowly is concerned, my experience of busy “urban community” roads is that people don’t just step/run out at official crossings (though this one did), so traffic would have to go more slowly along its entire length.  What speed would we suggest ?

Herein lies part of the problem.

Normal cycle lanes are usually in the worst possible position for stopping distance whereas cycles have close to the worst stopping distance. (Perhaps only horses, scooters, skateboards being exceptions)

my experience of busy “urban community” roads is that people don’t just step/run out at official crossings (though this one did)

My experience is there are a LOT of them so it only takes a tiny proportion … not directly relevant in this case but smartphones are one factor in the increase… but the other one is simply many people simply EXPECT the traffic to stop…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TURNER GUY – I think there was a change of law in January 2016, to give separate classes for pedal assist and throttle only, maybe have a search just to double check for yourself.

This only affects certain EAPC sold as new after 1st Jan 2016, not conversions to old bikes.

I wrote to the DfT about this on 24 Sept 2016 and got a reply on the 14 Oct 2016.

I was questioning an article on this page :

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

And the quote

“In response to your email about converting a normal pedal cycle which has first been used on the public road as a pedal cycle, I am pleased to report that type approval does not apply – it only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones. Therefore if you convert a pedal cycle which has already been ridden on the road to “twist and go” operation, it does not become subject to type approval. As previously noted, the regulations will be directed at the manufacturers and so riders making conversions are not committing an offence. Manufacturers are permitted to sell kits of this nature but would need to ensure they are in line with regulations if sold as EAPC kits (EAPC power and speed limits).”

My own reply basically said that the website is correct, so that’s good enough for me – although I will have a copy of that reply and the article in my back pocket ready for any copper that might pull me over 🙂

The bike will only be for my partner to get her to and from the care home she works in without getting sweaty.

It will have Magura HS33s on it so plenty of stopping power, and I think you have to hold the sparticle throttle open anyway, so releasing it for braking will be simple/automatic.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Interesting information that I have not seen anywhere else. Thanks for posting full details.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Interesting information that I have not seen anywhere else. Thanks for posting full details

pm me your email and I will forward my reply confirming what that website said…

Nico
    Free Member

“The guy who caused the accident was bleeding from the head”, quote in the Soaraway Sun.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Our press are the worst and descending.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Killer ebiker’ is closed to new replies.