Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Kielder 100: Achievable for mere mortals?
  • TomB

I enjoyed the reports of the Kielder 100 in the latest mag, and a little voice in my head suggested it might be a good challenge for next year, with 10 months or so to prepare.

So, those who have done it, or similar, is it possible for a 'normal' rider, given sufficient effort in the preparation, to complete 100 off road miles? I've probably never ridden over 30 miles off road/60 miles road in one go so far……..

Any hints/tips on preparation, other than lots of long rides? Was thinking of building up to it through some other events/road sportives etc.

paul4stones

I'd never ridden more than about 40-50 miles off road before and found it ok. I have done quite a lot this year though, including the C2C in a day. Most of my fitness comes from doing the Old County Tops fell race which I've done for the last 6yrs. It's not cycling, it's way harder than that ( 😉 ) but some of the fitness seems to transfer and the ability to just keep going for hours helps!

So yes, definitely you should be able to do it.

I do expect to live for ever though.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I quit it. I race bikes quite a bit, but wasn't quite in the right frame of mind. It was rainy, I'd only got my tent pitched at about 1am the morning of the race and had a terrible night's sleep. I'd returned from America just 2 days earlier and was still jet lagged. I'd done another race the previous week and completely burnt myself out to get a good result and my legs were mush.

Basically, I had a disaster and hated it BUT it wasn't my sort of thing. It is the ultimate challenge, it is very difficult and not something to be entered on a whim, but if you work hard before it, get in the zone and are determined enough then you'll be able to manage it. I prefer the lapped format but can definitely see the appeal of this wonderful event.

As for training- long rides, quite a few of them. General rule is if you can do 50 happily then you can do 100, so build up and do a few 50 mile rides and occasionally a 100.

paul4stones

Was that you I chatted to briefly (thinking you were my mate for a moment!) on the way up back towards Deadwater? I was on an Alfined Scandal.

shortcut

Probably a good idea to get signed up for some Merida 100k rides to keep you motivated and give you some short / mid term targets to aim for!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

funny, i was thinking the same thing earlier having read the mag, and am toying with the idea of entering as i prefer one long loop to laps of a course. if it was me, i'd train by entering meridas, longer rides, and some road stuff to mix it up.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I managed it and I'm pretty much a mere mortal.

If you're just aiming to finish, lots of long rides and some "milestone" events in the lead up to the race itself are a good plan. Aim to get out riding as much as you can, bike commute, long weekend rides where suffering is a feature and you will condition your body to it.

If you're aiming to finish well (say sub 10 hours) you'll need a more structured approach to increase speed as well as stamina (interval training and other torture).

Determination and the correct mindset are just as important as is keeping yourself healthy and not over-training. If you go into something like that thinking "I don't think I can do this", you're probably right, so building up your confidence on similar, shorter events is a good idea.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Deadwater? Alfined Scandal?

If you had just seen me sat on the side of the trail looking unhappy and I was talking nonsense about Rohloffs, then yes, that was me!

Quit 25 miles later.

warton
    Free Member

enter it and train. you'll be fine. I pulled out after 65 miles, but i had just got back from a two week wine and cheese marathon in France and did not expect it too be that hilly. the weather played a part, but expect it to be like that next year. a couple of interval rides a week and one long one is enough training to finish imo.

By the way I'd say 75% of the riders were people who just ride bikes, with no illisions of winning or getting a great time, it wasn't full of racers by any stretch of the imagination

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I didn't do it but, having done a few endurance events that I would previously have thought were for people much fitter than I'll ever be, my conclusion is that you don't need to be as fit as you might think but you do need the right mindset.

That's not to say you don't need a reasonable level of fitness, and as someone else said much will depend on whether you just want to get round or be troubling the winners. But I reckon if you regularly do 40+ miles on the MTB at the weekends and maybe a bit of running/road riding in the week on top of that then you've got a good base to realistically expect to finish.

I reckon it's just as important to be used to doing long hours on the hills in crap weather on your own and to be prepared to keep plodding away, and know how much effort to put in and when. IMO a lot of people drop out of these things because they basically can't be bothered any more, not necessarily because they can't do it.

EDIT:

By the way I'd say 75% of the riders were people who just ride bikes, with no illisions of winning or getting a great time, it wasn't full of racers by any stretch of the imagination

I'd agree with this too- it's easy to imagine that these events are full of ninja racing whippets, and while there are always a few of those most people there will be just like you, or more likely in worse shape.

midgebait
    Free Member

If you live close enough the Bike Place Kielder race series will be a good introduction to the type of terrain and trails you'll meet on the 100. I think the first one, the Winter Warmer, is in January. They're typically 30 miles so try that and then think 3.5x longer!

I was thinking about doing it but will need to train lots and haven't decided whether I can manage the commitment that I think will be required. It looked a fantastic event to enter though.

paul4stones

Superstar_opponents that was you! At least you recognised a hub gear – most thought I was singlespeed.

Next year eh?

jonb
    Free Member

Where's miketually our lantern rouge hero?

I hope it is doable and going ahead as it's my goal for next year. Like you I've got a few road sportives planned. Will do a few short enduro races and a merida or two. Maybe a team 24hr race and generally ride lots in the build up.

dickydutch

I entered it and did it in 11 hours. I hadn't done any structured training for it although I do have a 28 mile commute each day and do regular 70-80 mile on road every saturday. The bit about mindset is the most important factor I'd say. I knew I was going to finish (without sounding big headed). That helped me during the crap weather and when I was suffering approaching the border crossing. It hurt like hell at that point, but I knew it would end!
    It was without a doubt, the best day on a bike I've ever had. I will be signing up as soon as entry opens again. My advice – do the same. Sign up, and just ride plenty. On the day, just get into a rhythm and keep pedalling!! I also rode the last 20 miles with a guy called Roger Stilwell (I think it was Stilwell – if you're on here, give me a shout!!). This helped enormously as well and we had a laugh about how deep the puddles were – anything to pass the time and take your mind off the pedalling!

jonb
    Free Member

TomB where do you live, I'm Newcastle based and might be interested in hving a "training partner" even if it's only someone to do some very long rides with over the Summer.

TomB

TomB where do you live

Keswick, but not committing to anything yet! 🙂

crazy-legs

As mentioned above, you'd be surprised what your body can do if your mind is fixed right. The worst moments I've had in races haven't been physical (althoguh I've had some bad times with that too!) they've been mental, my head telling me that it'd be so easy to go back to bed, to just pull out here.
    Having said that, a positive frame of mind is so much easier if you've done some training for it and KNOW you're ready for what's coming.

Mix it up, build up to it gradually with a few long rides (road and MTB), maybe a mix of Merida's and Sportives with a few shorter races in there to build speed.

As a rough general rule I reckon 10 miles on road to be the equivalent of about 10km off-road so it makes it easy to work out comparisons eg a Merida at 100km is approx = 100 miles on road.

sockpuppet

i know it's a bit of a cliche, but it's really a mental challenge.

you have to have a fitness base, and be used to being on the bike for extended periods, but if you're determined that's the most important bit.

good rule of thumb too that if you're regularly riding 50 miles comfortably then 100 should be do-albe. the last few miles may not be much fun though!

it did have *a lot* of climbing, FYI!

mr_stru

I also pulled out partly due to lack of willpower and partly lack of training. However, I think as long as you're reasonably fit it's almost more a question of being able to just keep going on the day. As a comparison I managed about 90 miles at 10 under the ben earlier in the year and really enjoyed that and found it no trouble but by the time I got to the 50 mile mark at keilder I'd had enough.

Part of that was the weather – it was glorious at 10 under – and part of it was just not being in the right frame of mind on the day. It's also the one big loop aspect which makes, in hindsight, a surprising difference in that you can't chunk up the riding in quite the same you can with lap based events.

I think it's achievable for anyone who rides their bike a decent amount fitness wise. It's the bloody mindedness half of it that's hard to prepare for. I think the best recommendation is the number of people that didn't get round, myself included, that seem determined to give it another go next year.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Hummmm.
    Bit of a mixed bag here.
    There is a simple exercise here: if you want to eat excellent Indian food, look at those Indians eating in which restaurants.
    Therefore listen to those who both completed and failed (for whatever reason).

If you clock up many miles each day or at least train 4 times a week for 15hrs+, you should be OK.
    Remember, they are going to be more stringent on cut-offs for 2010. No more returning after dark.
    I too am in the same boat as you.
    At 46 in 2010, it’s an event I wish to complete.
    That & solo at MM riding 14 laps or more.

andyb748
    Free Member

'I'd never ridden more than about 40-50 miles off road before and found it ok. I have done quite a lot this year though, including the C2C in a day.'

C2C in a day??? Blimey. That's what I call fit!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Paul- no next year for me, you caught me a particularly low place!

Absolutely not my sort of event- I'll be sticking to 24 hour and 12 hour races (got 3rd at Relentless recently- went into that shaking with fear after Keilder but fortunately got my act together).

radoggair
    Free Member

i'm totally behind the mindset for the event. I do train alot, roughly about 3-4 hours a day ( this a mixture of commuting/running and gym stuff) during my working day and aim for 3 – 6 of just cycling on my days off. The downside of this is i know i dont rest enough ( get guilty if i dont bike everyday)
    Anyway, leading upto the event had done the 135mile road sportive merida and 100k the next day so i knew i was capable of mileage. On the day of the event went into it just wanting to finish, then next year using learnings aim to improve. Was there with some good friends of STW so we were all quite relaxed and chatty. KNowing it was a long slog we were in no rush so think we were 1 of the last to start. After the first 4 or 5 easy miles the racing bug kinda took over me so started moving up through the field ( which took a while overtaking people ). Managed to get a group of 7 of us who kept with each other for about 25 miles until the first service stop where i managed to lose them ( not by choice, more its a downhill then singletrack xc part where some couldn't keep up). Rode for about 15 miles by myself which was quite tough mentally until the 50 mile stop and the infamous deep deep puddles. 2 others caught me up by then so we rode together catching up 4 more, then losing 3 of them. Our group got to the hot food stop where we were all physically and emotionally quite good . Rode with 2 guys after that through sinletrack section before i punctured at the 67 mile board ( a lie). After 10 minutes fixing it no one had caught me so went out after the other 2. Then it hit me. At about 70 mile marker until the 78 mile feeding station i completely bonked physically and emotionally. Felt sick, started seeing double, ants and rabbits seemed to be going quicker than me. Reached that stop and continued up that pig of a climb where i got caught by Pierre who i tagged onto. Rode with him until the red trail section of the bumpiest trail ever where he pulled away. Rode at a slower pace till we rejoined the earlier fire road ( just after the 49 mile feed stop). Caught Pierre who really bonked, as in stopped and waited for me. He ran out of juice and food so i fed and watered him but he pulled over just before the sandy steep steep climb ( grrr). After that i rode to the finish, getting 11th in open male

What did i learn:
    Need alot more longer rides put in before hand, aiming for some 8 – 9 hours constant cycling rides
    Drink more during race, eat more solids ( must of had about a dozen gel packs -yummy though)
    Pace yourself and if poss ride with 1 or 2 others at a comfortable pace.
    If your after a good time, placing, dont start at the back
    Ride a light bike ( mine was prob the heaviest there – 32lb turner 5 spot)
    If you feel ill, ride through it cos it will ebb away
    Wear insect repelent
    Have a laugh with those who you meet, or at least chat to them
    HAve a target time in mind and think 20 miles = 2 hours etc

TomB

Brilliant and thought provoking responses. Thanks all, some things to mull over now…..

martinh
    Free Member

I am a mere mortal. I generally do not race and ride 4-5 hours a week. In preparation for the K100 I upped the amount of riding I did from about three months out. My goal had been to increase the length of my rides by 10 miles per week,hoping to do a 80/90 miler a couple of weeks before the event. It didn't work out like this at all. While I did manage to increase my riding time significantly and for about a month I probably rode about 12hrs a week with two long (40ish miles) offroad rides. I never did get the long rides in. When it got the the race my fitness was OK.

A key element for me was the two 12 hour solo event I had ridden last year. These really helped me in state of mind stakes. I knew that I could ride for the best part of 12 hours. In fact I ended up riding for all of 12hrs 30. These events also helped me practice my eating which is important too. I still got this wrong and it cost me dear.

If I do enter next year I will want to do better so will do something very similar but try to start from a higher fitness base by riding more this winter. I need to work on my speed. I should also move to somewhere with hills.

If I want to get near to 10 hrs I'll need to buy some gears.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Martin – A bike which excites you helps a great deal too I suppose 😉

How long before the event did you get your Paradox, and did this factor in at all, being a different bike which needing getting used to?

Good write ups, thanks all

phyncra
    Free Member

well I puked my guts up for most of the preceeding week followed by frantically eating anything I could lay my hands on thurs and fri- seemed to work OK!

radoggair- you might want to think about your training I dont train nearly that much!

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

I talked a mate into doing it, he'd never riddern more than 60 miles before either on road or off road but is a stubborn beggar and got round in 13.5hrs despite having lost a lot of time towards the end when one of his knees started playing up. Its all about being prepared for a big day out, and most importantly eating well through out the event.
    I got round in 9:54 and did ok in the vets, in my defence I was on gardening leave / out of work for the first half of the year and did a disgusting mileage with a lot of 6hr rides. transportugal and the thetford summer series then kept me in reasonable nick. Definitely didn't go as hard as on a laps race but figured destroying myself on a wet day in the hills a long way from home when you don't know how long its going to take might not be the best course of action when you weigh up the consequences compared to staggering back through a flat forest on a sunny day.

Top event, enter it, do some prep and enjoy the day. In my opinion the hills aren't that bad, there's nothing where you'd spend 30 minutes in the granny ring grinding up it. Hopefully back next year in whatever shape my new daughter allows

miketually
    Free Member

Where's miketually our lantern rouge hero?

Here I am!

14 hours, last man in. My write up.

Training: I ride 6 miles to work and back, 5 days a week (total of 30 miles a week). Other than that, Kielder was my 13th ride of the year. (I record rides on my website.) The rides I had done were often fairly long though, including a 90 mile road ride (on my MTB) and riding 50 road rides to get to/from a group off-road ride.

I'd agree on the mental aspect being more important than the physical, if you just want to finish.

And beetroot juice. Beet-It is particularly good 😉 And I think I'd have done better on a 29er made by a different company 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I've a few training rides in mind for 2010, and am hoping to go faster.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some wierd part of me really wants to try this next year. Don't ask me why, or even if I think I can do it……. 🙂

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

crikey Mike – hope this doesn't come across as sarcastic (not meant to be in anyway) just looked at your mileages on your site, if you can do Kielder on that sort of a build up you must be a latent ironman, good skills!

Matthew

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

still watching this thread, and getting more and more interested in doing this 😕 i think i will try to find some people similar paced and talk them into riding it with me 😀

dot
    Free Member

I completed it in 11.5 hours.

I didn't do much specific training but had done quite a few events/races during the year (the longest off road ride I'd done up-to then was approx 90k).

Oddly it wasn't actually as hard I was expecting it to be – I found the 3 Peaks CX race a few weeks later more physically demanding?!

It was ace though, I will be back next year in an attempt to do a sub 10 hour.

Read my write up of the Kielder 100

miketually
    Free Member

crikey Mike – hope this doesn't come across as sarcastic (not meant to be in anyway) just looked at your mileages on your site, if you can do Kielder on that sort of a build up you must be a latent ironman, good skills!

Yeah, I do wonder what I could do with some actual training 🙂

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

i thought that around this time last year, promptly got made redundant and knocked out about 6000 miles by the end of June under the guidance of Matt from Torq, discovered I could ride a long way quite fast. Then started work again, rediscovered beer & cake and became a father and have quickly reverted to type.
    My top tip would be to NOT buy trousers when you are the fittest and thinest you have ever been 🙂

crazy-legs

Oddly it wasn't actually as hard I was expecting it to be – I found the 3 Peaks CX race a few weeks later more physically demanding?!

I've raced many 24hr races including a 2nd place in Men's Pairs at SITS and I find the Three Peaks to be the hardest of all!

miketually
    Free Member

Being made redundant might not be the best idea, as we bought a new house 2 days ago 🙂

dot
    Free Member

Crazy-legs your a New Millser too aren't you?

crazy-legs

Crazy-legs your a New Millser too aren't you?

Not by birth but yes, I know what you mean! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100: Achievable for mere mortals?’ is closed to new replies.