Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kids tyre choices
  • alan1977
    Free Member

my lad is getting on really well on his new Orbea MX27,only been out a few times but gone from zero to hero over a couple of rides at Swinley.
    his stock tyres are Kenda K1153m which seem like a generic do it all tyre..
    i noticed his back locking up pretty easily and i started wondering if i should just put something else on the bike that i’ve got lying around
    got a pair of 2.2 trailkings
    or a HR/Ardent combo
    or even a minion SS
    not sure he needs DHR’s and DHF’s 😛

Any thoughts? or leave him to it?

johnnystorm

Unless you’re planning on going tubeless what have you got to lose for an experiment?

alan1977
    Free Member

well, if its suddenly noticbly harder to climb, or he stacks it.. big confidence loss and loss of interest..
    will only be tubeless if we are out all the time
    and to confirm, riding sculpted blues at swinley and possibly QE

johnnystorm

It’s one ride!

reeksy

My lad has an Ardent on the rear. Works well for him.

steamtb

Depends on fitness, where you ride, how he rides and does it really matter…

My daughter is only 29 kg, so I have pondered in the past whether the 24 inch, 800g and pretty sticky Vee Flow Snap are slight overkill. But then I watch her goading adults into sprint races after several hours on the bike and think she really needs heavy, sticky tyres 🙂 especially given the speeds she hits wet rooty sections.

rossburton
    Free Member

Definitely something better if you have it to hand! My kids had Rocket Rons on their 24” bikes and my eldest just inherited my old Hope/Stans/DHF/DHR wheels. Better rubber will grip a lot better in the wet!

alan1977
    Free Member

so, i chucked hte continental trailking 2.2s on, replacing the no model kenda 2.35’s
    the COnti’s have a more dhf like pattern about them than the xc centric tyres i took off.. so immidialtey was concrned about rolling speed
    thing is, hes not going quick enough where it will make any difference..
    the one ride result was a kid who completed a few climbs he hadnt done before, and i noticed on at least 3 trails at swinley that he was making more effort ot push the bike quicker, and he was coming off with that excited enthusiasm you expect a kid to have

chalking it up as a result

steve_b77
    Free Member

i noticed his back locking up pretty easily and i started wondering if i should just put something else on the bike that i’ve got lying around

Tell them not to grab such a large handful of rear brake is a good start.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.