• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kids road cycle lessons in Bristol – where?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Took my 6y old son on a ride through the city center today. He has good skills but is a complete liability when it comes to safety – his and others.

As he won’t listen to me – Is there a kids course I can send him on? Looked at Lifecycle but they charge £30/hour unless your between 9-13.

richpips
    Free Member

No idea about Bristol.

I met an Aussie guy a couple of years back who worked in traffic safety. Their studies said that most kids brains can’t process all the info required to deal with riding on the roads until they are ~13. Make of that what you will.

My personal experience with my lad now 10, is that he has only just got the hang of riding on the road with due regard for himself and everyone else, and he’s been riding regularly on the road since he was 7.

Being able to interpret what is happening, and what might happen though we take it for granted is pretty tricky for kids.

I reckon they need experience, and that comes with time on the bike on quieter roads.

eskay

Earl, take a look at http://www.bristol-cycling.com they run some go-ride sessions, email me if you want any more info.

maybe also taking him to castle combe on a Tuesday night. No cars but lots of cyclists so he will need to be aware of what is going on around him.

Earl
    Free Member

richpips – your right – I know he is only 6 but he does go riding down to the high street or into the city center a couple of times a week. If I let him continue being the idiot he is he is a risk to himself and everyone one else. He hit 2 people yesterday. I got to do something or he aint gonna survive.

I think my thread title is misleading – less road riding – more street general safety.

eskey – what I’m looking for is instruction. Is that taught on the go-ride sessions?

MrAgreeable

Bespoke cycling sessions with LifeCycle are expensive, but they run regular family cycling days with free instruction and skills games.

http://www.lifecycleuk.org.uk/events

Sky Ride is coming up next Sunday which will be busy and good practive for things like spatial awareness.

http://www.goskyride.com/bristolskyride

There are also the Cycle Sunday events on the Downs. Car free but loads of kids on the last one. Next one is July 12th.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/cycle-sunday-2-tickets-17241769597?aff=erelexporg

richpips
    Free Member

richpips – your right – I know he is only 6 but he does go riding down to the high street or into the city center a couple of times a week. If I let him continue being the idiot he is he is a risk to himself and everyone one else. He hit 2 people yesterday. I got to do something or he aint gonna survive.

Yep, I know what you mean. When I think back my lad had a number of close calls.

I’d be interested to hear if you find any courses, and if they have a long term positive effect.

My experience says at that age it will go in one ear and out the other though. Though I really want to be able to say otherwise.

seanbolton
    Free Member

What you need is Bikeability training. Usually run by schools (bringing in suitably qualified instructors).

Ask your school about running some courses.

http://www.betterbybike.info/bikeability-cycle-training/

Other sessions such as Go-Ride are more sports orientated but teach good bike handling skills.

Castle Combe on a Tuesday evening is a good place to start, or the Chippenham Wheelers Go-Ride sessions on a Thursday evening (anyone welcome).

http://www.chippenhamwheelers.org/event/2015/go-ride-skills-training

Earl
    Free Member

To my frustration, I realized that my kids only learn stuff when it has cost me money. They will listen to everyone else but me – classic stuff.

Mr A – my boy was on the NatureVelo on Sunday I was riding behind him giggle at the amount of other cyclists he almost took out. His bike handling skills are ok – he just needs a slap around the ears – which you cant do now days so back to the point above…. something costing me money.

Earl
    Free Member

His school and holiday club does run them but only for age 9 and up!

SammyC
    Free Member

@Earl

My lad is 7 and also Bristol based. If you find out anything like Bikability training (which I think is the one you want) then I’d be interested in joining you (well my lad joining in not me obviously).

Earl
    Free Member

SammyC – I will let you know for sure.

Earl
    Free Member

Just rand bikability and lifecycle – people not in today so gonna try again tomorrow. Will keep things posted here.

eskay

Earl – Member

eskey – what I’m looking for is instruction. Is that taught on the go-ride sessions?

It is mainly skills, they vary it session to session. It is all relevant but if you are after more road awareness stuff then the bikeability stuff is probably more suited.

Both of my kids did it in primary school, have you tried talking to the school? I think their secondary school ran the level 2 course recently.

I think the best teacher is you. I started riding with my kids on the road when they were quite young. We stuck to the suburbs, I would not have chanced the city centre.

I used to ride behind my kids so that I could correct them, warn them when they should be looking out (making sure they are not going to ride into a parked car!!!) and also riding out slightly do shield them.

I don’t think there is a quick fix, you just have to make it as safe as you can.

Edit: Just read the bit above about your school and having to be aged 9.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am not having a go here, but surely 6 is too young to be riding on busy town roads?

eskay

FunkyDunc – Member

I am not having a go here, but surely 6 is too young to be riding on busy town roads?

I guess the parent knows the child best, some 6 year olds may be OK with this, others not. There are also quite a few bike lanes in Bristol so perhaps he used them??

Earl
    Free Member

Like most kids his age – he does most of his riding on the footpath and cycle lanes (red painted section but still road) Of course he has to do some occasional road sections and crossings to get where we want to go. But even that can be a hap hazard thing.

Anyway – spoke to Lifecycle/BetterbyBike etc…
    Their main focus is to get people out of cars and onto bikes as a mode of transport. If they spend their funds on a 6y – chances are they will still go to school by car. If they spend their money on 9+ or adults they is a higher probability that they will ride to school/work. So…they don’t get funded to teach kids of 6y – either at school or at holiday clubs or on scheduled courses.

Lifecycle can offer private lessons for £30/hour. As its private I can ask them to focus on road awareness etc rather than pump track work etc…

As mentioned above – riding in public areas pavements/roads is a lot to take in for a 6y so I can’t expect too much – however he did just create his first minecraft mod last week so can assume he is able to learn something.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kids road cycle lessons in Bristol – where?’ is closed to new replies.