Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kid's mountain bike self build – which frame?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Scott Jr will soon be too large for his 24″ wheeled hotrock. We rode up at Leith Hill today and I mentioned the idea of building him a new bike over the summer. Sourcing some half decent components 2nd hand on eBay etc, and he seemed well up for it.

This would be a massive win for me as it might help to get him off the video games.

Wondered if anyone had done the same and what frame they used? He’ll be 12 in the summer and I thought something 13-14″ for 26″ wheels. Lightweight, so I was thinking of alu. Any ideas?

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/voodoo-nzumbi-mountain-bike-26

Voodoo Nzumbi – 10% off with BC membership. Just bought one for my son. 28lbs stock.

So far have the following to fit;
    Stans Crest wheels
    XT brakes
    carbon bars
    1 x 10 XT gears
    Suntour 11-40 cassette

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That looks just the ticket. Cheers.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Tideace 14″ carbon from China

[/url]

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Tideace 14″ carbon from China

andy4d

I am in a similar situation and am looking at an on one inbred 14″ so I can transfer over a lot of my old bits, 26″, straight steerer etc. Very unfashionable and cheap.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Maybe getting rid of a 14″ inbred frame soon. Manchester area

andy4d

Nice, but I am in Ireland. Thanks though.

nstpaul

On One Parkwood 27.5 in small. £67, I’m building one up for my second oldest with 26″ kit and 165mm cranks.

nemesis
    Free Member

Tick. Out of interest, how tall are the kids we’re talking about? NemJnr is only 8 but very tall and I’m also looking at an adult bike for him, thinking 14 or 15″

Notsospeedy – drop me a line when you’re selling – could well be interested in that.

ade9933
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about the dashine 14″ carbon bikes from Ebay. Available new for about 250.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Nemesis – I would have thought he’d be very tall to be 8 asked fitting a 14″ frame? Scott jnr is 11 and has a 13″ frame on 24″ wheels.

Thanks for the other ideas. I’ll check them out.

nemesis
    Free Member

Well he’s wearing 12 year old clothes (I means clothes for a 12 year old, they’re not 12 years old 😉 ) and he’s now ridden (borrowed) a small 26″ bike which was a 15″ frame and just a touch big for riding off road so…

ade9933
    Free Member

for these 14 / 15″ frames I think we are talking about 150cm+

A

sweaman2
    Free Member

If you can find them an XS Spesh rockhopper from a few years ago was a 13″ frame.

spacey

Daz, I could be interested in the inbred. I’m in Manchester too, email in profile.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

yes i have done this when my lad came off his scott 24″ the other year.

i found a used jump/4x frame, identiti dr jeckyl, locally and pretty much stripped down my hardtail xc bike for it. did put on 170mm cranks though not my 175s.

ironically he’s had it maybe 2 years now and only just really got into it, and off the damn xbox.

i’m now in the process of looking for a better frame as he is a bit taller, the on one 456 is fave right now but still looking for a nice used one if i can find one.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kid's mountain bike self build – which frame?’ is closed to new replies.