• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mehr.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Kidney Protectors
  • sadmadalan

Last year my son was diagnosed with kidney failure. He is on dialysis every night, but is a living a ‘normal’ life or at least the best he can do. I’ve been through a lot of tests and talks with doctors and I am gong to donate one of mine (in fact the left one) to him. We have a date for the op – sometime next month (expecting it to be postponed) so we are on the right path.

Anyway now that weather is improving and everything else is cancelled, it is time for the cycling season. Off road, I’m following the manta of “Don’t be a dick” but accidents do happen and I am very aware, that if I damage a kidney the op is then off. Equally post op, I’ll have only one kidney and as such I need to make sure that it does not get damaged.

So does anyone have any recommendations for kidney protectors that are suitable to general off road use? I’m not a nutter and generally mince my way down, so I generally do XC type stuff. I’ve seen various bits of kit – but no idea if any is suitable.

spev

I’ve got a Raceface D30 shirt like this https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Body-Armor,54/Race-Face/Flank-Core-Guard,12384 , its basically a close fitting shirt with a slot at the back for a d30 pad and the same on the shoulders
    you can buy this https://www.musto.com/en_GB/d3o-recoil-pad/80012_291-O%2FS.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9tbzBRDVARIsAMBplx_FRRmmwPJPes0vteUMY5onkteLuqyxR9SC5DZvsDWvs7830qNZ2E8aAnd8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&locale=en_GB&source=googleshopping from there or Ebay (you can cut it to size and shape)
    and get a “pocket” sewn into a close fitting shirt like the raceface one so you can fit a bit where it needs to be? I’d imagine you have somewhere local that does clothes alterations (or do it yourself)

EDIT
    just to add, there are commercially available kidney protectors but they look a bit of overkill for MTB use, most look like there there for Martial Arts and being kicked

jimdubleyou

I used to play Lacrosse, quite a few players wore kidney pads. They sort of float over the body and secured by braces.

Also known as “rib pads”

Have a look at brands like Brine or STX.

mehr
    Free Member

Kudu

I always post this up, but I mainly use the Kudu as a standalone back protector and its superb and worth more than £65 on its own

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Kidney Protectors’ is closed to new replies.