Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Keeping mobile number with no contract?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Currently have a monthly rolling contract with 3, sim only. I’m out of the country for at least 6 months from June (apart from a week in September), so would like to cancel the contract, but keep the number for when I’m back.

The man at 3 says my two options are go to PAYG, minimum £10 top up a month, or go to a way cheaper monthly rolling contract (£10 a month, better allowance than PAYG). A PAC code expires after 30 days so that doesn’t really help me.

Are there any cheaper options? I won’t be using the sim so it seems silly to keep paying to it just to keep the number.

Ta,
    Duane

sharkbait
    Free Member

Tesco sim only account £6.50/month.
    Or do a 3 account (depending which country you’re going to) as their ‘At home’ means your phone keeps working for the same cost abroad as it does here.

Edit: why don’t you just keep paying your existing account? Seems a small price to pay for being ‘abroad’ for 6 months.

Drac

If you’re with BT landline they do mobile for £5 per month.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Giff Gaff do a fiver a month, no contract.

~MrsLugz been with them for a number of years now. no issues.

aracer
    Free Member

Plenty of PAYG options where there’s no requirement to top up every month.

AlexSimon

That minimum £10 topup on the PAYG sounds very suspect.
    I don’t have that on either of my boys phones (with EE).

nbt

Go to giffgaff, just put £10 credit on the phone. I think the credit exipred after 90 days, so just make a call or send a text message every couple of months

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m with 3 PAYG no min top up.

thecaptain
    Free Member

As above, no min top-up (on three), maybe the confusion is they probably want you to start with an initial tenner when you set it up.

jeffl

I have my old personal number on a giffgaff sim. Set up so that calls get auto forwarded to my work phone. Think I topped it up about with £10 about six months ago. Check with giffgaff but I don’t think you need to make it receive any calls or texts to keep the SIM/number active. Ah seems it has to be some activity within a a six month period. https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/How-long-can-I-go-without-losing-my-number/td-p/11380289

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Keeping mobile number with no contract?’ is closed to new replies.