Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Keeping bike in car – safe?
  • rjj
    Free Member

Morning,

In order to create more space in my tiny shed which is needed to store other bits and pieces I have started storing my bike in my car which also means that I don't have to put it back together again every time I go for a ride – just pop the front wheel back on – The question is – is it safe to do this in the summer months with car getting warm etc inside. The bike is covered with a sheet at all times but will this build up of heat cause any real harm? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Richard.

njee20
    Free Member

I'd be more concerned about it getting nicked!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Won't cause any harm to it. But if it's always in the car it's going to get known about and possibly stolen. But the same goes for a shed, and sheds don't generally have decent locks and alarms.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And probably not covered by either house insurance or car insurance….

Nick

Risk from theft would depend on whether the dead-locks can be defeated, hard to get a bike out of a broken window.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's not a dog mate!

Check your home policy in regard to cover in your car.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

And the questions just keep getting more and more stupid…

organic355
    Free Member

Check your insurance, mine only covers my bikes if they are locked to an immovable object. The car is moveable and hence they are not covered when locked to the roof rack, even with an extra heavy duty chain around them.

toys19
    Free Member

My bike was nicked from my car. Jemmied the boot and passenger doors open. BAstards. Got it back tho.

rjj
    Free Member

It's not a dog mate – ha!

And the questions just keep getting more and more stupid…
    – at least it isn't about tyres!!

Thanks for responses. – getting it nicked is a concern, perhaps back into the shed although that is a sad reflection of the society we are – can't do anything without worrying about the worse thing that could happen.
    Richard.

ziggy
    Free Member

Deadlocks or not all you need is to smash a window and pop the boot release, nearly all cars have an internal cable release.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

dude….u dont want some1 smashing the rear window in ur car to nick your bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Get a bigger, sturdier shed, or put some shelving etc in to make more efficient use of the space you have got.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dude….sweeet….mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I know a couple of people who keep bikes in their cars all the time, one even has 2 in there in case he fancies a singlespeped!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Deadlocks or not all you need is to smash a window and pop the boot release, nearly all cars have an internal cable release.

Not sure about others, but mine is deadlockable – you can't open the boot without the key if you leave it deadlocked, regardless of playing with the cable release, that is the whole point of a deadlock – you disable all other methods of opening it other than the key.

Check your insurance, mine only covers my bikes if they are locked to an immovable object. The car is moveable and hence they are not covered when locked to the roof rack, even with an extra heavy duty chain around them.

But dependnig on value your car insurance will cover them.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My mate keeps his bike under the stairs with the wheels off. If you like your bike keep it indoors.

tron
    Free Member

Think about it. If your bike gets nicked out of your car, you'll have no bike, and a car that's likely to need to go to the bodyshop (from general wrenching of doors etc). You'll lose your NCB, and have no transport at all for some time.

Would really make having your bike nicked into a massive kick in the balls.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Think about it. If your bike gets nicked out of your car, you'll have no bike, and a car that's likely to need to go to the bodyshop (from general wrenching of doors etc). You'll lose your NCB, and have no transport at all for some time.

Would really make having your bike nicked into a massive kick in the balls.

If my bike got pinched from the garage I'd have to get a replacement garage door (also hundreds) and my garage woudl be left unsecure for days until it got replaced, leaving thousands of quids worth of other stuff pinchable. I'd lose my NCB on the house too.

Conversely, with the car you can have protected no claims or repair windows and doors yourself fairly cheaply scrappy replacement.

Depends on your car.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

No real harm to the bike, but in practical terms no, you need a new shed. At some point you'll want to carry more than 1 passenger, and it'll be at short notice, so you'll end up having to unpack the bike and leave it somewhere (friends house etc springs to mind).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Keeping bike in car – safe?’ is closed to new replies.