Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Keep Apart 2 Chevrons
  • kayak23

Which 2 chevrons are particularly fiery together and do not get along?

Should it not be ‘keep 2 chevrons apart’?
    🤔

Bored driving (not right now obvs)
    Just sounds a bit wrong?

avdave2

kayak23

😂

muddyjames
    Free Member

Just me or is it not really distracting trying to ensure a distance of 2 chevrons.

Plus they’re calibrated for a certain speed which may or may not apply at the time you are driving.

The 2 second rule for a simpleton like me.

zilog6128

Just me or is it not really distracting trying to ensure a distance of 2 chevrons.

just you. This is why we need mandatory re-tests. 😂

onehundredthidiot

Just driven down the peage with the “100m is safe”signs. While at 130kph with a car 10m off my boot.

nickc

Just sounds a bit wrong?

It’s not a sentence, it’s two statements

Daffy

I’m in Sicily at the moment and there seems to be no rules. AT ALL. Do what you want, whenever you want, as sh17faced as you want, regardless of how utterly idiotic it is.

pondo

Driving in Sicily is an experience – just gotta do what the others do and hope for the best!

TiRed

French use dividers in the rumble strips instead if you had not noticed before. It’s a neat idea.

beej

You can’t go wrong driving in Sicily, just do whatever you like, try and avoid hitting others and use lots of horn in case people are too engrossed in their phones to see you.

Ambrose

Keep 2 chevrons apart?
    It seems that many of the drivers heading down the M5 this morning never learnt to count.

doris5000

2 cars per chevron. That’s the rule.

I’ve been observing UK drivers for a long time now and that’s definitely the deal

nixie

If you can see the chevron there is room to get closer.

Said the average BMW/Audi driver.

peajay

Sign here says “Frustration causes accidents” I don’t think it’s suitable to be playing board games of any kind while driving, Kerplunk would be a disaster.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you can see the chevron there is room to get closer. you’re not paying enough attention to twitbook

Said the average BMW/Audi driver.

FTFY

thelawman

In a rash attempt to answer the actual question of “Why is it phrased like that, cos it sounds wrong?” I’ve asked myself the same thing a few times, and concluded that “Keep 2 chevrons apart” simply wouldn’t fit so neatly on a square sign. May be complete tosh, of course.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Keep 2 Chevrons Apart mucks up the word spacing and makes the sign too wide.

Keep 2
    Chevrons Apart

Probably.

Superficial
    Free Member

Keep apart; 2 chevrons
    Keep apart (2 chevrons)

Perhaps we can also debate whether the plural of chevron should be chevra? Except in France where they use 2 chevaux.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Keep 2 Chevrons Apart mucks up the word spacing and makes the sign too wide.

Keep 2
    Chevrons Apart

Probably.

Times are hard. The UK is so broke it can’t afford rectangular signs…

Cougar

The 2 second rule for a simpleton like me.

How are you measuring that 2-second rule? Would some sort of regular marking on the carriageway help, perhaps?

matt_outandabout

I’ve always read this as two statements.

igm

Oooh. Time for application of some white tape Matt?

footflaps

Now we have auto cruise control on modern cars you can just set it and pretty much switch off – car just drives itself keeping a safe distance from the one in front 😉

doris5000

Now we have auto cruise control on modern cars you can just set it and pretty much switch off – car just drives itself keeping a safe distance from the one in front 😉

Excellent – those of us in the bangernomics thread will enjoy using that in a decade or so

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I have auto cruise or whatever its called, wouldn’t know how to put it on, only just worked out how to use the radio.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Now we have auto cruise control on modern cars you can just set it and pretty much switch off

This makes me feel so much safer on the roads.

Cougar

Odd, I thought self-driving cars were STW’s motoring holy grail.

reeksy

In Australia, it’s not the chevrons you want to worry about, there’s filthy recreational sportspeople

Drug-taking old people and kids

The constabulary attacking your road safety measures

Even roadside masseurs

Cougar

🤣🤣 amazing.

When on holiday, the sheer verbosity of US roadsigns fascinated me. Here we may have “keep apart 2 chevrons” which whilst appalling grammar you can at least read, the US has whole paragraphs by the roadside. “Warning, in 100 yards there is something coming up which is really important and you actually…” by which time you’ve driven past it and are desperately hoping there’s a Chapter 2 before you hit one of those half-constructed bridges you see in movies that just end with a few traffic cones.

bob_summers

i never used ACC on uk roads until last week. it tends to keep 3 chevrons apart, which mean people pull into the gap again and again, so the ACC slows the car – taken to its logical conclusion you’d end up driving backwards I think

reeksy

I don’t have ACC in my cars, but some work cars do… it took me a while to realise what was going on. Then I figured out how to reduce the gap in order to change lanes and maintain speed and it’s almost bearable.

IdleJon

Plus they’re calibrated for a certain speed which may or may not apply at the time you are driving.

If they are calibrated for 70mph, then it’s not a problem for anything slower, and you shouldn’t be going over 70 anyway, you naughty driver. 😀

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Full thread title was actually:

Keep Apart 2 Chevrons 1

cheese@4p

Yorkshire version
    Keep Abaht 2 Chevrons

footflaps

Now we have auto cruise control on modern cars you can just set it and pretty much switch off

This makes me feel so much safer on the roads.

IIRC the EU are making in mandatory on all cars, like ABS. However, the UK isn’t planning to (another Brexit bonus I believe). IMO it’s a massive safety benefit. Of course it’s not perfect, but it never gets tired, not distracted, nor rubber necks etc – and if needed it will slam the car to a halt before you crash into the back of another car.

On our previous Ce’ed is was pretty much flawless, on our current Sportage it’s a bit odd. We were driving down Borrowdale and it got a bit confused on a bend and suddenly decided we were going to hit the car on the other side of the road and boy did it stop the car quickly. I was amazed we weren’t shunted.

molgrips
    Free Member

i never used ACC on uk roads until last week. it tends to keep 3 chevrons apart, which mean people pull into the gap again and again

You should be able to adjust the gap it keeps – you can on ours, with a steering wheel button so you can adapt on the fly.

And don’t use it at all on windy roads.

matt_outandabout

Yorkshire version
    Keep Abaht 2 Chevrons

Scottish:

Get off my earse, yer fanny.

IdleJon

And don’t use it at all on windy roads.

Windy or windy? 😀

oldtennisshoes

I’m in Sicily at the moment and there seems to be no rules. AT ALL. Do what you want, whenever you want, as sh17faced as you want, regardless of how utterly idiotic it is.

This is true – I remember getting cut up on the Messina ferry as we were driving off. Utter utter madness 🤪

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.