Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Katadyn BeFree
  • Merak

Has anyone used one of these? I’m needing a way of filtering water and this looks like it might be the one to go for.

robertajobb

I’ve used an Aquapure version in the past – for weeks on end when kayaking out in the boondocks in far away mountains and jungles.   Absolutely great, filled from either flowing streams / rivers (though not silted up shitfests) and taps where the tap water quality is questionable.

But depends where you’re going.  Scottish Highlands… yep.  Mercury-laden run-off from a gold mine slag heap… no.

andyb39
    Free Member

I’ve had the katadyn for a few years now. Never put it to the test with anything really manky, but often carry it as an extra piece of mind out running in the summer. Mainly when water sources might not be as free flowing as usual or if I need to take water from lower down in the valleys than normal.

kormoran
    Free Member

I have a platypus quickdraw which I have used repeatedly in anger and I recommend for light and compact filtering. I suspect it’s similar in principle to the katadyn, not sure

It’s quite well thought out and easy to use, packs very small.

For real manky water I’d pre filter through a muslin or anything similar

Merak

When you say manky….are we talking cattle troughs?

I don’t think I could bring myself to drink it. Even if it did kill 99.9% of the bacteria.🤢

I’m thinking lovely fresh water lochs and hill run off streams rather than cesspools.

mmannerr

Works well as far I can tell. It isn’t compatible with my Ortlieb Waterbag nozzles even if  shop I bought from claimed that.

retrorick

I’ve bought a ‘mini’ MSR filtration system a few years ago. Haven’t used it yet so can’t report back on it’s performance.

Kramer
    Free Member

Online a few reviewers seem to rate the Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer Mini over the Katadyne Be Free?

Simon

I got a Katadyn BeFree last year to use on the Jennride. It worked really well.

Once home I packed it away in my camping box, when I next went in the box my insect repellent had leaked and melted a hole in the Katadyn soft flask☹️

johnnystorm

I’ve got a BeFree and never had any issues. To be fair though I generally work on the principle that I’d only drink something filtered by it if it was probably safe anyway (clear running water miles from anywhere) or I was already at death’s door from thirst. 🤣

nealc
    Free Member

I’ve used a quickdraw from some pretty dodgy sources. Always been fine. I’ve never really found anything definitive on the limitations of these type of filters. I know they aren’t effective against a certain pathogen, can’t remember what. But then I couldn’t find out how prevalent or dangerous said pathogen is

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Water 2 go sports bottle. Basically a squeezable bottle cage bottle. Replaceable filters. Been very impressed with it over last few years. Much better flow rate than sawyer mini.

shoko

Have a grayl geopress, 6 weeks in cholera infested southern Africa at the backend of last year and me with my stuffed immune system stayed healthy partaking of the local borehole water.

I did get norovirus which manifested 20 minutes before boarding the plane from Gatwick which made for an interesting flight 🤪

schmiken

The BeFree lives in my walking pack and I use it regularly. Stops me having to carry more than 750ml at any time. Never had an issue with it and would recommend.

Regarding flow rate – I use mine to refill a Salomon soft flask and drink from that, using the BeFree more as a reservoir than a flask.

supernova

Water 2 go sports bottle. Basically a squeezable bottle cage bottle. Replaceable filters. Been very impressed with it over last few years.

Water2Go claim to filter viruses as well, which most other filters don’t.

bikesandboots

I looked into this extensively a year or two back, went for the Sawyer Micro. I don’t remember why but comparing the main options side by side it did one or two things better or extra (viruses?) compared to the others.

The pouches are crap though as they’re prone to bursting (and that’s not just a “oh crap I’ve got my trousers wet” issue in this context). I got a Cnoc Vecto clear one, has the additional benefit I found of you can see the colour of the water and if any insects got in – before you let it touch the input end of the filter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.