Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Just Singletrack?
  • tjr666
    Free Member

Anybody else here only read Singletrack nowadays?? I used to buy all the mags religiously, MBR, MBUK, Dirt etc. but they just started to rerun the same old articles and one in particular is just like some kind of lifestyle mag for emo kids (I am only 28, but come on do your jeans have to cut off your circulation whilst simultaneoulsy having your ass hanging out all over the shop??). So yeah, I have not bothered with them for a few months now and just got a subscription to Singletrack, minimal stupid reviews about stuff we would proabably never use and more stories about expereience and stuff us mere mortals are more likley to indulge in…great stuff.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

stories about expereience and stuff us mere mortals are more likley to indulge in

This is exactly why I like Singletrack.

The only other magazine I read is Cycling Plus.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

"they just started to rerun the same old articles"

I am experiencing this with my subscription to Razzle.

njee20
    Free Member

I don't read any of them, IMO magazines just don't represent good value for money, usually done with them in an hour or so!

tjr666
    Free Member

I don't read any of them, IMO magazines just don't represent good value for money, usually done with them in an hour or so!

I found that with the majority, but I find I re-read Singletrack quite a lot, like the last issue with the articles about the Great Divide and Alaskan Race, great stuff.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I'm with njee20. Only magazine I occasionally buy now is Performance VW! Bought the last copy (?) of ST hoping for something interesting to read and there was a few pages on riding the length of America (boring) and a race in the snow (boring). I want to read a mag that has articles relevant to the majority of its readership – ie, articles about riding in the UK with the odd article about trips abroad (but trips we all might take part in – the Alps, Whistler, Spain etc for a week in the summer – not however many hundred miles of pushing a bike in the snow).

That said, ST's reviews are alright and the UK based articles there are, are excellent.

coogan
    Free Member

I buy a MTB mag about 3-4 times a year. Usually in an airport.

firestarter
    Free Member

i only buy cycling plus now . lad at work brings in dirt and a bmx one which are pretty good. i like wideopenmag tho

MoreCashThanDash

I always get Singletrack – Cycling Weekly is my "bored at train stations" magazines.

Might have a look at the Cycling Active that started recently

roger_mellie

Singletrack and also What Mountain Bike – because I have to read about new products for absolutely ages before committing to any kind of purchase.

Also started reading MBR again after about a ten year hiatus. I can’t explain why. Its probably going to be a short term affair though.

ononeorange

MBR seems to be having a love affair with Specialized, from what I can see – quite sickening. WMB is OK, at least they can think beyond FS bikes a bit. But STW and The Ride are my "must-haves" – I read everything in them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

MBR have been having a love affair with Spesh for years…

chakaping
    Free Member

the articles about the Great Divide and Alaskan Race

Yeah, they were both head-and-shoulders above the normal articles abotu endurance races in exotic locations.

That divide race woman seems to be a very good writer, give her more work ST!

And the Iditabike one was mind blowing, the way he casually writes stuff like: "So I carried on pushing the bike through this waist-deep snow for another 20 hours and then the gradient improved a bit."

Presume the OP is having a pop at MBUK, but think he's bringing his own prejudices to it. When I read it I find it has an interesting range of pieces about all bits of MTB.

Waderider
    Free Member

I haven't bought a bike mag in years. Not a lot in them for me, and the net is were I get all my reading material nowadays.

atlaz
    Free Member

STW and very occasionally Dirt. I flick through the others in the shop but thats it.

Lemurian
    Free Member

Singletrack every month, best mag available. Dirt sometimes, great photography/presentation but a bit too pretentious/up its own arse for my liking. Presume that is the "lifestyle" mag as referred to in the original post?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just switched my sub to STW from WMB. I'd be done with WMB in an hour (and skipped very little either). STW lasts me a good week and a bit.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I just get STW on Subs, don't bother with the other UK mags, mostly adverts and kissing up to big brands…
    Dirt Rag's always a good read, even if the perspective of "mountain biking" is different from the general UK view… But this is a good thing.

Not every mag can please everyone all of the time, I suppose… I'll be taking STW with me into the afterlife…

My 2cents done for this week! 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Just Singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.