Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Just ridden Garburn Pass for the first time
  • rockitman

Good descent that is! Not a bad climb up either. Will have to visit again and soon!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Nice ride isnt it one of my favourite rides. Did you do the climb without any dabs if you did well done particulary if you climbed from Kentmere. Took me quite a few goes to do it without dabbing its one of those rite of passage climbs you have to do like Jacobs ladder (I have failed every time) and Snowdon.

Dont know what the weather was like but the views are well worth the puffing and panting to get there.

rockitman

Without a dab? Not a prayer. Thought it was a really interesting climb, particularly with it being wet today.

We climbed up from Staveley and then descended down into Kentmere (I think, should have paid more attention really).

Love Jacobs Ladder but never even tried to get up. Went down it a couple of weeks back on my new bike – Commencal Meta 6 – which was perfect for it.

crazy-legs

Yeah, that's the right way to do it – up from Staveley via Dubbs Reservoir, pass above Limefitt Caravan Park. The climb is doable (just!), I've done it on a few occasions but it needs to be one of those days where everything is just right. I've failed it far more times than I've ridden it!
    Great descent into Kentmere. 🙂

pantsonfire
    Free Member

We climbed up from Staveley and then descended down into Kentmere

I like to do a loop from Stavely up and over Stavely Head fell down into Longsleddale up to Sadgill at top of dale then climb up and over Stile head down into Kentmere then up and over Garburn and back to Staveley past Dubbs reservoir and in to the Hawkshead brewery tap for some gorgeous beer. Its a lovely part of the lakes that everyone seems to ignore as they zoom past heading to the tourist honey traps.

neil853
    Free Member

i love that climb, well as much as you can love a climb but its interesting and has a really good descent afterwards. the MBR loop that was published was ace starting from wilf's

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Strewth, was everyone on Garburn yesterday? There was a guy from Wigan who had trained it up to Staveley, a guy from Oregon who'd driven up from a business trip in London and hired a super Trek from Wheelbase, four Geordies, three guys who left Staveley the same time as me but went up from Kentmere (why?) and two guys on massive 45lb downhill rigs who pushed nearly all the way from Troutbeck to get in some Alpine training.

Perhaps the crap weather drew everyone to a "safe" alternative.

rockitman

I think we might have done the MBR loop. 7 of us and we had quite a few mechanicals but we were out for best part of 7 hours.

We barely saw another person all day. Started from Wheelbase at 10:15 and weather was looking really sh1tty, but by 1 ish the sun was out.

We had an absolutely great day yesterday, never ridden round there before but will be going again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Just ridden Garburn Pass for the first time’ is closed to new replies.