Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Just joined the modern age – so what smartphone GPS/mapping app?
  • 40mpg

Finally launched myself into the 21st century this weekend and got a smartphone. So I need to find a use for it now, the most obvious being a decent map app. Ideally OS explorer maps, and something to record my travels.

(Its an android phone btw)

Suggestions?

deviant
    Free Member

With Android you have the whole of Google Maps, Earth, Streetview and Navigation at your disposal….should be on your phone already, if not head onto the Google Play site and download them, they’re free….grab MyTracks while you’re there for cycling, running etc….

w1zard
    Free Member

Personally I use Viewranger for OS maps. Fast app, excellent support and a decent website where you can view all your maps full-screen (and print them). You can buy 25k/50k scale by the ’tile’, so no need to invest in a large area to try it out.

For tracking rides/calories/competing with random internet strangers, I find Endomondo good.

40mpg

Cheers W1zard – do you download Viewranger maps onto the phone so still available out of signal area?

w1zard
    Free Member

Yes – I think that’s the only way it can work with Viewranger’s OS maps – they are downloaded onto your phone, so you don’t need any reception at all to view them when out and about. I have been known to download new tiles when out and about, but usually I get them sorted for an area before I leave – much faster over Wifi where I live.

You can also record your track, or follow a route that you’ve downloaded from them (or elsewhere). When you get back into a reception area (or somewhere with Wifi), you can sync your tracks back to their website and look at where you’ve been on their website.

I think you can also use online maps within the app (like Google’s, etc), but it’s not something I’ve ever really used.

Try downloading the Viewranger app from the Play Store (I think it’s free) – from memory you get a few free tiles to play with, so you can test it out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Just joined the modern age – so what smartphone GPS/mapping app?’ is closed to new replies.