Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Just booked flights to vietnam – where to go?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

18 days in Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos – where do you lot recommend going? We have some loose plans but happy to hear what you think 🙂

zippykona

Stay on the boat.

TheFlyingOx

Hoi An is amazing, and obviously Ha Long Bay is something a bit special. I think Ha Long is a bit cold this time of year though…

Pigface
    Free Member

When crossing the road just walk and they will miss you.

The North is much “quieter” than the South.

Enjoy I loved the place.

Only place I wouldn’t go back to were the tunnels nr Ho Chi Minh/ Saigon

gobuchul
    Free Member

Only place I wouldn’t go back to were the tunnels nr Ho Chi Minh/ Saigon

Why? Somewhere I always thought would be fascinating. Is it rubbish?

plyphon
    Free Member

Whatever you do, budget in some time for getting a suit made.

Seriously, my mate got one done, cost him like £50 or something, full three piece handmade tailored suit in tweed. It’s glorious. Fully lined and everything. The craftsmanship is really good.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Hoi An, Independance Palace in Ho Chi Minh, Sapa was good right up in the north.

I really enjoyed Hue though, quite industrial but a wonder round the Palace was humbling and amazing in equal measure.

Edit: agree with the above, they had catalogues for seasons that hadn’t been released over here yet.

wl
    Free Member

One of my favourite parts of the world – amazing for food, people, customs, culture, architecture, landscapes and general chaos. NW Vietnam (beyond Sappa) is mind-blowing: best done by bike or motorbike if you have time. HCM and Hanoi are great. Mekong Delta is fascinating and very unusual. Maybe skip Dalat. Loved Laos too – mountains north of the capital are stunning, tho places like Vang Vien sound hideously full of idiot backpackers nowadays. Luang Prabang is stunning, but probably rammed. My general tip for the whole region would be get off the beaten track – most of the places we enjoyed the most were those where we got away from other tourists, and that was back in 1999. It’s easier said than done, but well worth the effort. Hit some main attractions yes, but defo try to get away to a couple of random places in between the hotspots. Have fun!

Scamper
    Free Member

No sudden movements crossing the roads. They will swerve round you.

Use the overnight trains rather than tourist bus to go north to south, or the local long haul buses for local people is good fun. Internal flights were £40 but this was ten years ago last time.

Using the easy riders at Dalat was a fun way to see the countryside.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Mostly covered, Hue and Hoi An were great – avoid it in typhoon season. I liked Hanoi and Halong bay is beautiful but quite touristy.

Mekong Delta is interesting. especially the rice wine.

HCM is also good for city stuff. The american war museum there is a must visit. Although quite sobering.

Amazing place, lovely people, great food. I loved it. (was 10 years ago and my honeymoon though)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No sudden movements crossing the roads. They will swerve round you.

Use the overnight trains rather than tourist bus to go north to south, or the local long haul buses for local people is good fun.

The american war museum there is a must visit. Although quite sobering.

This.

alric
    Free Member

if you’re never going to Bagan in Burma,then you have to see Angkor Wat
    but 18 days isnt very long out there. Youd be lucky to getto 4 or 5 sites if you’re getting off the main tourist path

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

if you’re never going to Bagan in Burma,then you have to see Angkor Wat
    but 18 days isnt very long out there. Youd be lucky to getto 4 or 5 sites if you’re getting off the main tourist path

And this. 18 days is no time though. 😐

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Just booked flights to vietnam – where to go?’ is closed to new replies.