• This topic has 34 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tish.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Jump Skills Training around Yorkshire or worth travelling?
  • chrisyork

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on where to go for some Jump specific coaching around the Yorkshire area based on actual feedback on how good it was?
    Totally prepared to drive to Jedi or Llandegla etc if it really is worth the drive.

I’ve seen that No Limits Coaching out of Malton do it but i can’t find any reviews

I’d probably look at doing 121 coaching as think it’ll be most beneficial, i’ve already done a group Jumps and Drops course with Chasing Trails but felt like i got nothing from it as we learned at the pace of the least skilled rider and literally spent 30 mins jumping off a drop so it’d be good to tailor it to exactly what i want.

Welcome to any suggestions?

dthom3uk

Have a look at the sessions they run at Leeds Bike Park. I think they recently did a session on jumps and drops. It’s a great place to do skills training as there are a load of features to session and it’s easy to progress your jumping as your confidence grows. Give them a call and ask for Jeremey Hayes. He used to be the BC Elite BMX Coach so he’s right up there when it comes to coaching.

northernmatt

Only one I’ve been to is Jedi, it was a 4 hour drive each way and was well worth it. Didn’t specifically go there to do jumps and drops but he completely changed the way I ride a bike from a very basic level.

Well worth the money and well worth the drive.

tb927
    Free Member

I was looking at Aline coaching in Sheffield, they were super helpful on email, and looks like they could do custom sessions for people.

lardman
    Free Member

MIght be a bit of a trip for you, but theres a great coach at Chicksands bike park that really helped me bring on my jumping skills/technique. I don’t crash much now, but can ride most mid sized jumps/doubles/booters.

Speak to Tom Dowie.

https://www.tomdowie.com/

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Gareth at aline is decent, riding is at parkwood springs / grenoside / wharncliffe
    And further afield farmer johns Stockport and rev bike park (Oswestry)

Max group size is 8 although I’ve done a course with just 3 of us.

tomhoward

Only one I’ve been to is Jedi, it was a 4 hour drive each way and was well worth it. Didn’t specifically go there to do jumps and drops but he completely changed the way I ride a bike from a very basic level.

Well worth the money and well worth the drive.

This.

ogden
    Free Member

Max at Endeavour coaching up at Hamsterley was really good when I went with him.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

+1 for Max at Hamsterley.

cyclelife
    Free Member

A line coaching – Gareth was trained in Whistler.
    Been to Jedi, who did not impress me with his one trick answer to everything.

You can get private sessions with Gareth to suite your needs but you’ll need the basics in place to allow proper progression. The improvement I seen in myself since following the individual plan I came away with would never of happened with the press an release technique.

kayla1
    Free Member

I did a jumps and drops course at Hamsters a few years ago, no idea if the company I went with are still doing them but it was well worth it 👍🏻

edit- It was Pro Ride Guides in 2015, blimey…

edited again- and the thing is you have to keep at it on your normal rides out, doing stuff like that I mean, otherwise you just get The Fear again.

chrisyork

That’s really useful advice thank you, i think it’s between A-Line and Endeavour coaching then, just deciding about full or half day now as a private 121 session…

Any reasons why a half day wouldn’t be recommended?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m another who’d recommend Pro Ride Guides at Harrogate, assuming it’s still Joe Rafferty

Paceman
    Free Member

Go see Jedi at UK Bike Skills, you won’t regret it, well worth the journey in my experience.

snotrag

Not done a jumps course but reccomend Gareth at A-line. Did a back to basics day round Grenoside with him last year and enjoyed it.

RicB

Another + for Max at Endeavour here.

Perhaps the main reason to consider half-day is that your brain will be fairly full by lunch time, so hard to take in anything new.

Half a day of training followed by half a day of practice is probably a good balance.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Been to Jedi, who did not impress me with his one trick answer to everything.

All I know is that I went to Jedi with a friend who is a completely different rider to me and who learns differently too and he got us doing big drops and 6 foot gap jumps in a few minutes. His ability is to determine how someone learns and teach them in the best individual way.
    I would go again and it was a 7 hour round trip for me from Yorkshire.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I did the full day when I got coached by Max/Endeavour at Hamsterley. It worked pretty well, the morning was pure coaching and the afternoon riding the trails trying to utilise the new skillz, followed around by Max offering constructive criticism/feedback.
    You just need to make sure you’re fit enough to ride morning then afternoon.

bigwill
    Free Member

Another one for Max at endeavour, it’s based at descend, Hamsterley and so you have access to the 4x track for jumps and the DH trails for drops, he will build you up as the day goes on.

Only caveat is I don’t know if he is still doing it? Was told the other week that he has gone and got himself a job in the real world. Website is still there so maybe he is. If so definitely worth a look.

tish
    Free Member

I’ve had a 121 day with Gareth at Aline, he was really good, good teacher and nice guy too. I’ll be going again this year.

cyclelife
    Free Member

His ability is to determine how someone learns and teach them in the best individual way.

When I went a few years ago, he used the same method for everyone. Very nice chap a great rider but for me not a good teacher.

rockhopper70

I’ve booked for my lad the jumps course at Dirt Factory in Manchester. It was a Xmas present and we have yet to go but looks like, if nothing, else it might a fun couple of hours, razzing around indoors. Includes airbag training!

I couldn’t find any reviews however,so it is a bit of a punt on our part.

chrisyork

More great feedback! I’ve been to Dirt Factory and have to admit that there were plenty sending the jumps, not sure if they’d done the training or not but i reckon a few had and they were really good or at least were demonstrating the basics!

Joe Rafferty is an interesting option as Harrogate is where i ride quite a bit anyway so i’ll look into that.

Jedi may be worth the trip but if there’s just one way of him teaching and if it’s not for me then i’d get little from it.

Think half a day is better then as people say, your head is full of info and nothing stopping me doing half a day, going away, practicing and if needs be in a few months going back to see them if i’m having any issues

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d prefer a half day myself, for the reason you suggest.

Preferably a morning then go and ride after and bed it all in more.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Gareth will do a half day, seriously you won’t find a better teacher. He’s also a sports psychologist at Hallam university.

mcnultycop

I drove about 4 hours each way to Jedi and it was totally worth it.

I’d had sessions with others locally and they were OK, but Jedi was another level.

tomhoward

Jedi may be worth the trip but if there’s just one way of him teaching and if it’s not for me then i’d get little from it.

He has many ways of teaching one, well four small, thing(s). That’s why so many folk recommend him.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

When I went a few years ago, he used the same method for everyone. Very nice chap a great rider but for me not a good teacher.

In order to get the best out of tuition you also need to be a good student. I’m not saying you weren’t – the ridiculous amount of good feedback Jedi has suggests it for me! 😉

swedishmetal
    Free Member

You only have to seek out feedback for his training to realise that can’t be true.

The only issue is the distance to travel which to be fair is significant.

chrisyork

Yes tbh that’s a very valid point, it’s mainly the distance i’d have to travel. I think i’ve only maybe read two reviews in total where the training didn’t work for those guys.

Jedi does get a huge amount of feedback very mostly positive, for me though i’m going to stay local so i can easily get back should i want more going forwards…

I think one thing, whihc is hard is when you get used to riding a certain way and then someone tells you you’ve been riding wrong for most your life, it takes a bigger person to agree with it and work on changing their technique.

Just looking forwards to not either slowing down before jumps or squashing them!
    Thanks for all the replies, still waiting to see if there’s availability for A-Line but whatever i do i’ll be hope than happy to put my feedback up here!

cyclelife
    Free Member

Good choice – you wont be disappointed!

chrisyork

A-line booked for the end of March, can’t wait!!

cyclelife
    Free Member

You’ll love it!

colp

The long line of tables at Leeds are fantastic for jump practice. Worth spending a day on – watch good jumpers, ask for tips.

tish
    Free Member

Off the back of this thread I had a look at Jedi’s site and impulse booked a short notice 121. Anyway I was down there yesterday, a four hour drive there and can only echo most of what has been said above, I feel I got a lot out of it, the day was worth the money and the four hour each way drive. He has a way of putting you at ease and getting things across, he seems to get you thinking your own way through stuff, if that makes sense and he can read you and he picks up on little things. Interesting what’s said above only having one way to teach. We changed track when I was stagnating a bit and then I got it with a different approach. Gareth at Aline teaches the Aline way, which is to get your body shape to match a silhouette of theirs, and they have set methods. (He spoke about this on my course) but that’s fine it worked for me and I took plenty from it. Having had 121 sessions with both I would be happy to recommend either of them they are both sound blokes and good at what they do.
    Chris, you will have a good day with Aline, I did.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Jump Skills Training around Yorkshire or worth travelling?’ is closed to new replies.