Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • JP Donleavy has passed on.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

One of my favourite authors. The Ginger Man is just the best description of chaos and selfish behaviour ever committed to paper. Absolute riot of a book.

Totally non-pc and all the better for it but these days, he’d be lynched, perhaps quite rightly.

Still though, out of all his books, it’s the one I return to at least once a year. Makes my life seem acceptable.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/14/jp-donleavy-obituary

ugarizza
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Balthazar.
    I’ll go back to it.

Legend author. He’ll live on in his work.

johnners
    Free Member

Only for the moment am I saying nothing.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m genuinely glad to to see at at least one response to this.

He shaped my adolescence. Perhaps not in a great way but he also made me part of the man I am, in a very good way.

maccyb
    Free Member

You can’t remember your meat at all today…

ugarizza
    Free Member

He was a great author, I am surprised to see only a few responses.

user-removed
    Free Member

“My tray skidded from my fingers and fell on the floor. My orange jelly mixed with broken glass on this day when I bought a glass of milk to have with my Chelsea bun. They told me I was clumsy and asked why did I do it. And at times in my heart there is a music that plays for me. Tuneless threnody. They called me names. I was so afraid of them. And they could never look inside me and see a whole world of tenderness or leave me alone because I was so sad and suffering. Why did you do it. And hearts. And why was love so round. Tram swaying down the flat street. Squealing and stopping. Sitting all the way and dreaming. Even passing 1 Mohammed. Perhaps I was a bastard to lay foul the pipes again. Make her know she needs me. And I need that money. Out in Dalkey I’ll be all alone. No fear of meeting anyone. He arrived in the main street. Twisted with people. Into a public house. Two lovely, laughing girls behind the bar. ‘Good day, sir.’‘Double Gold Label, please.’She reached under the bar. Always hiding the stuff. Damn girl with her gold, cheap bracelets, earrings, damn pair of gold tits, squirting out money”.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘JP Donleavy has passed on.’ is closed to new replies.