Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 198 total)
  • Jones: Worth selling rest of your bikes for?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

How many of you with Jones’ live in rocky environments and love descents? Not many I’d guess.
    And before some of you say ‘ah, but if you’ve got the skills’, I’ve rode with a few Jones owners and ended up having to wait for them…that was in Yorkshire too, god knows what it would have been like here in the Lakes!?! 😛

tazzymtb

Ride in the peak district and rocky natural in wales..not noticed the jones being slow on rocky descents as I smash past chaps with 5″ full boingers and storm trooper outfits…..I must be doing it wrong.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Why would you assume they aren’t used for mountain biking?

And the lakes is your benchmark for gnarly? Maybe I’m missing something

FuzzyWuzzy

If I had a collection of only rigid MTBs I might be tempted (assuming I was up for growing a beard and living in a log cabin to) but sell my full sus MTB and road/cx bikes as well for one? No chance, I’ve never ridden one but given I have a basic grasp of physics etc. I know it won’t be better in all (or even most) situations than those. That’s not a specific criticism of a Jones, just no bike can do it all as well as a variety of bikes with different characteristics.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The original question is almost offensive and is pretty much the same as ‘are you stupid’?

I suppose the cult following is there for a reason… brainwashing 😀

If I was going for a one bike quiver, I’d want something that could do Epic XC, Gnartastic DH, Pumpy lumpy Dirt Jumps and snotty ASBO skateparks…

So I’d stick to a nice steel jump bike with a long seatpost and leave the Jones for pretentious conversations over niche ales.

uwe-r
    Free Member

The elephant in the room here is how ugly those things are. Makes an Orange 5 look sophisticated.

biff

Crikey. This forum is as respectful as ever.
    Race you to the bottom of the hill barrel.

Joe

Ale is shit, Jones are great.

MadPierre

No – I wouldn’t have to. Jones are only as expensive as one of my bikes – not the lot! :p

Having said that I think I’ll stick with what I’ve got – they’re nicer/better than a Jones (IMO).

singlespeedstu

brainwashing

That explains why it wouldn’t work on you then.

You’d need to grow a brain first for it to be washed. 😛

It’s just a bike nothing more nothing less.
    It’s better at some things than some of my other bikes and worse at some things than some of my other bikes.

It doesn’t cause me to pass judgment on what someone else might be riding on a particular day though…

chilled76
    Free Member

This is all too sensible… so I’m going to bring down the tone…

Yes buy one… but only if you have an immense desire to look like a prize tit!

mattjg
    Free Member

The original question is almost offensive and is pretty much the same as ‘are you stupid’?

Nope it’s not the question that’s offensive.

If you don’t want to talk about this then leave the thread alone and go find another that is about what you want to talk about.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’d not heard of Jones before this thread so I went to look at their website.

I saw pictures of lots of bikes I wouldn’t want to own – so yes, this does seem to kill lots of birds with one stone.

I appreciate beauty is in the eye of the beholder but they do look a bit like the inbred offspring of a delivery boys bike and a vintage tractor.

b45her
    Free Member

i’m with DrRSwank they don’t look pretty, functional or well engineered to me, just some overpriced hipster shopping bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

I saw pictures of lots of bikes I wouldn’t want to own – so yes, this does seem to kill lots of birds with one stone.

Now that, by contrast with some other posters, is quite witty!

I don’t disagree on the looks but I’d like to try one. Most FS bikes and a lot of HTs are also pretty ugly IMO.

AlexSimon

I don’t really know why people call them ugly.
    For me it looks like Form Follows Function, and in that sense it’s no more ugly than a boneshaker, a penny farthing, or most bikes for that matter.

I’ve never ridden one, but I would really like to (although I wouldn’t really think I’d ridden the real thing unless it was a Ti Spaceframe).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d love to have a go on one to see if they live up to the hype but I can’t honestly see it being as quick overall than my Five or being that much better than my singlespeed Curtis?

danielgroves
    Free Member

No. I think they’re ugly, and I love my bouncy bike way too much.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and there is the ugly problem. And the fact that I’d be selling my bikes with gears and bouncy forks and proper bars etc and ending up with one bike with 1 (probably) gear, rigid forks and some kind of oddball bars. I’d also have to think about my personal life in that my beard length would need to be massively increased from ‘fashionably scruffy’ to ‘old testament’.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I must be imagining things when I change gear on mine 😉

They’re actually rather beautiful in the flesh.

Rocks you say? Gnar?

Gotama
    Free Member

I would love to go for a ride with jeff on some fast technically demanding singletrack just to see how quickly he can go. Those steep rock rolls aren’t that impressive imo as i find the lack of sus (particularly front) helps since the bike doesn’t wallow all the over place. The jump however…..

Different looking bikes for sure but no worse than a lot of full sus frames and if they ride well then who cares. Besides i think they look quite cool and would like to have a go on one to see if it works for my style of riding.

jools182
    Free Member

if I sold all my wordly goods I wouldn’t be able to buy one

good job they look awful 😉

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Surely a bike is for riding first and foremost- alot of people seem to be suggesting they wouldnt like to own one because of what they look like on a photo
    I havent got one but have ridden several and the format works extremely well- would I like one yes- is it a magic bullet- probably not bu would actually cover the majority of my riding ( would need two front wheel builds tho!)
    And they look great in the flesh in a strange type of way
    And £800 aint super expensive for a f&f option is it?

mattjg
    Free Member

Different looking bikes for sure but no worse than a lot of full sus frames and if they ride well then who cares. Besides i think they look quite cool and would like to have a go on one to see if it works for my style of riding.

@gotama Biff the uk importer has offered to bring up a demo or 2 to our neck of the woods, you in?

MadPierre

futon river crossing’s pictures have just reminded me: The other reason I couldn’t get one is my lack of dodgy facial hair…

yodagoat
    Free Member

A mate of mine had a shot of one at Laggan and said it was just like riding a normal rigid bike, so no, I wouldn’t have one.

Gotama
    Free Member

Matt – I was speaking to Biff about a demo but then shelved it for a couple of reasons as I didn’t want to waste his time. However if he is coming up to let you have a go anyway then if you could keep me in the loop when you’ve sorted a date that would be great. You’ve got my email i think. By the way, Cycleworks have a demo day at holmbury on the 10th march if you’re still looking to scratch that other itch

FuzzyWuzzy

Lance was right on one thing, it’s not about the bike – it’s not the Jones that’s letting him do that in those pics it’s his skill. After watching Martyn Ashton’s video with stunts on road bikes do you think people sold their jump bike fleet to buy one because he did things on it they couldn’t do on a jump bike?

emac65
    Free Member

Each to their own,but I wouldn’t swop my 25 yr old wheelbarrow for one…..

mattjg
    Free Member

Gotama, nothing arranged, just a notional plan, he seems cool with coming. Yeah will let you know. C U @ Cycleworks maybe, I know about that.

FizzyWuzzy very valid point of view!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

i’m with DrRSwank they don’t look pretty, functional or well engineered to me, just some overpriced hipster shopping bike.

Do enlighten me please.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I bought one, couldnt afford to finish it due to baby arrival, sold it on, now Sheldon owns it, regretted it ever since…… I dont actually have any passion for riding at the moment, but if it ever comes back, I will get a Jones to see what I missed out on………

jameso

Anything that polarises opinion is more interesting than the middle of the road, looks like Jeff’s bikes score well there.

I should’ve clarified, when I said I’be happy on a Jones for all my riding – that’s based on what I enjoy riding the most. The most fun bike. Not always the fastest or easiest to keep up with a group at all times on, sometimes may well be the fastest but that’s not the point. Quite often a very adaptable, wide ranging bike. It’s just what I appreciate. Function first.

And I love rocky descents ) Took it to spain and the alps last year. Not my usual terrain but copes fine on group rides with others on the different bikes that they like.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want one. They turn you into a bell end and are rubbish on roots. My evidence isn’t very scientific just based on one shouty bloke at SSUK a few years ago but I believe that is all the evidence that is required.

singlespeedstu

emac65 – Member

Each to their own,but I wouldn’t swop my 25 yr old wheelbarrow for one…..

You might be faster on your old wheelbarrow than on your all singing all dancing full susser.

Well you couldn’t be much slower could you Eamon. 😮

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

In many respects, I think it’s great that Mr Jones is thinking outside the box and it’s nice to see innovation, but the mere suggestion of swapping my exotic hareem of talented beauties for a lifetime of commitment to a misshapen beast intent on snobbish individuality, who inevitably has a beard tucked away somewhere is just silliness.

This is all speculation~ perhaps if I swung a leg over one, and got the truss damp, my affections would get the better of me.

Del

Crikey. This forum is as respectful as ever.
    Race you to the bottom of the hill barrel.

about as respectful as people who take money for fanzines they never actually produce i guess?

emac65
    Free Member

You might be faster on your old wheelbarrow than on your all singing all dancing full susser.Well you couldn’t be much slower could you Eamon. 

One of several….;-)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Those pics show me nothing that couldn’t be ridden easier, faster or more comfortably on a full sus. Oh, and cheaper on a full sus.

biff

OFF TOPIC

about as respectful as people who take money for fanzines they never actually produce i guess?

Ouch. Del, can’t find any info in your profile to contact you directly or any recent emails from you in my biff@yesweareontheweb.com account relating to your Outcast sub so have to say hello here. I am doing issue #25. The subscription is ‘£10 for four issues in as long as it takes us to do them’ but if that’s a problem for you do please email me and i’ll refund you for any outstanding issues. I’ve got all The Outcast subscriber details on my old G4 so nothing lost, nothing stolen. It’s been said there never have been any outstanding issues.

Let’s talk. Happy to do all my laundry in public.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘Jones: Worth selling rest of your bikes for?’ is closed to new replies.