Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)
  • Jones: Worth selling rest of your bikes for?
  • biff

Easier? Faster? More comfortable?
    Misses the point – in my opinion.

I respect other peoples’ choices.
    Not at all surprised by the bigotry.
    Just a shame it stretches to push bikes.

singlespeedstu

One of several

Wheel barrows? 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I really want a go on one because I need to see what the point is in spending more money on something slower, more uncomfortable and less easy to ride.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

you do get a lot of (sometimes maybe un-wanted) attention on a Jones, I rode most of the K100 with Biff, and he was constantly asked about his, and his answer summed it enough for ME to want one,if I remember correctly, it was ” makes me smile like a new bike does, EVERY time I ride it…” like I said before, I dont have the passion for Bikes at the mo, but when it comes back it will be on a Jones.

grum
    Free Member

Easier? Faster? More comfortable?

So it’s not about how it rides, it’s more of a lifestyle/fashion thing?

Not at all surprised by the bigotry.

The bigotry of snobby niche purists who look down on people for riding mainstream brands?

singlespeedstu

I see no looking down on anyone.

Ride what ever you want no one cares.

jameso

DBW, I could justify a steel jones a lot more easily than most sussers that cost a fair bit more, only a personal opinion tho and it’s my money. But really who cares, spending money on anything like this could be seen as daft, it’s a bike for grown men riding around in the mud, pointless unless it makes you happy.

So it’s not about how it rides, it’s more of a lifestyle/fashion thing

You’ve not seen me on or off a bike huh ) fashion and lifestyle passed me by, but I do recognise that pretty much nothing in MTB is ‘fashionable’.. or nothing in cycling for that matter?

Keef
    Free Member

Biff nxt issue ready for ssUK’s or ssEuros ? 😉

biff

The bigotry of snobby niche purists who look down on people for riding mainstream brands?

Sorry, how does “I respect other peoples’ choices” read to you?

So it’s not about how it rides, it’s more of a lifestyle/fashion thing?

Not at all, but getting to the bottom of the hill as quickly and easily as possible isn’t of paramount importance to me and my idea of fun might not tally with yours. I find a Jones very comfortable, a great ride. My cycling isn’t about speed and **** all to do with fashion or lifestyle (whatever that is). I’ve had a Jones for nine years – so I must be out of fashion now surely?

biff

Keef – next issue before the end of March.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’ve had a Jones for nine years – so I must be out of fashion now surely?

Yes. Sorry to be blunt but this isn’t about fashion.

I’m a firm believer in personal choice, but for some reason there’s a fantasism about this style of bike that is annoying.

People who ride this type of bike are looking for something beyond innovation, beyond fashion. It clearly doesn’t matter if there’s a better tool for the job either.

People who ride this type of bike are the Amish of mountain biking. And that is cool. Just don’t try to persuade the world of your religion.

They are very expensive (fact) and very ugly (opinion).

Del

Biff, no worries really, and your response is open and reasonable as i expected. i haven’t mailed you. figured you could do with a dig in the ribs though. glad to hear there’s more good ( bad ) 5hit in the post. see you in dorset? we’re bringing beer. come have a pint. bring your weird bike. i may want a go. 😉

biff

Del – sweet.

Swank – Out of fashion was a joke (coming after my **** all to do with fashion comment) seeing as nine years doesn’t fit with the ‘2012 range’ or ‘2013 range’ the industry is prone to – not my kind of cycles. And religion? Again, struggling to see how “I respect other peoples’ choices” is any crusade. I abhor religion. Frame and forks starting at £815 (not very expensive).

Better tool for the job?
    Helping hand please – the job? My job? Your job? Big jobby? It’s riding a bike isn’t it?

mattjg
    Free Member

People who ride this type of bike are the Amish of mountain biking. And that is cool. Just don’t try to persuade the world of your religion.

It’s a bit beyond me why people who don’t want to read about Jones bikes are hanging out in a thread about Jones bikes.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha Amish 😆

Gotama
    Free Member

This can be a funny old place at times. It’s a bike being discussed on the interwebz where most people haven’t got a clue how good others are on their respective bikes nor what type of terrain they ride. It’s the rider and terrain, not the bike. Ride what you want, where you want, if you’re having fun then great. Fun on a bike doesn’t always have to involve going as fast as possible down a root infested run with berms and jumps, something which a lot of the Jones haters seem to forget. It can be taking a rigid bike down the same run, probably slower and closer to the limit of control but still having a great time. Hell it can be pootling along enjoying the fresh air and views. You know what, where and how you ride and you pick your bike based on that or your aspirations. Is there really any point in slating other designs/bikes though? There was a question posted and presumably someone looking for some help in their dithering. The owner of a downhill race rig and latest 150mm ‘trail weapon’ chiming in with ‘they’re ugly tat’ is hardly helpful but apparently makes poeple feel good.

Whether it’s expensive, well i guess it is relative to other steel framed rigid bikes, particularly since you need a spangly hub as well. However it is not expensive in the grand scheme of bikes when you start including full sus frames. But whatever, just because you don’t want to spend that much on a bike that you don’t perceive to have all the bells and whistles of modern bike design doesn’t mean someone else is stupid for doing so.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m not being daft, I genuinely am interested in riding one because I’m genuinely interested to see what makes them so special.

mattjg
    Free Member

I wonder if people who feel the need to be agressive about their choices, defensive about those of others, or downright nasty about such a trivial topic really have bigger problems in their lives.

Someone happy in themselves has no reason to behave that way, it seems to me.

Houns

Or it could just be friendly ‘banter’ and pee taking?

jameso

DBW, sorry if I read your post wrong then.. It’s rigid and lo-tech but the handling is addictive levels of fun as well as a challenge to get the best from. It also seems to encourage a good riding style from me, smoother and more flowy, if not as fast as a susser at times. That’s what makes it special imo.
    (And just to please the the accusers of swivel-eyed cult-dom.. other bikes may also offer this mix of traits in a different package, but if you like this one particularly, there’s only one way of getting that ride)

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Or it could just be friendly ‘banter’ and pee taking?

Well yes….

I ride an Orange 5 and I care not one jot whether people keep saying it’s ugly or it looks like a filing cabinet. And (here lyeth the difference) I don’t get all evangelical in its defence.

Fatd bikes are nothing special. If we all loved them then they wouldn’t be so niche-tastic for those that do.

charliedontsurf

Just checking back to make sure this had descended in to a “your bike is wrong” fight. Seems like we have moved beyond that to the calming and reasonable stage.

So….

Sam my Saturday lad rode the jones in a wiggle offroad sportive. At the start line there were these guys on bland normal bikes mocking the kid. Tossers with no class, who had no idea what they were looking at. It also turned out they could not ride for shit.

Ringo
    Free Member

Hahaha 😆

Ringo
    Free Member

I know a lot of jones riders and have owned one myself, there great frames, there fun, the people that ride them are tits
    😉

grum
    Free Member

Sam my Saturday lad rode the jones in a wiggle offroad sportive. At the start line there were these guys on bland normal bikes mocking the kid. Tossers with no class, who had no idea what they were looking at. It also turned out they could not ride for shit.

So again, almost certainly friendly banter from the people on ‘bland’ bikes (no snobbery implied there eh) is taken far too seriously. They have no class because they don’t know about a niche bike brand? Hmmm….

My cycling isn’t about speed and **** all to do with fashion or lifestyle (whatever that is). I’ve had a Jones for nine years – so I must be out of fashion now surely?

Don’t really mean fashion in the sense of the fad of the moment, I more mean its a ‘statement’ bike, it’s not just about how they ride is it. People buy stuff like this because they want to define themselves as being different to the crowd. Not necessarily anything wrong with that (if you can manage it without being a snob), but no-one ever wants to admit it.

Ringo
    Free Member

Yayyyyyy grums here

mattjg
    Free Member

I find myself agreeing with Biff and Jameso, my aim is not to go as fast and smooth as possible down as gnarly as possible. It’s not what I’m looking for in my riding.

Does that mean I need to buy a Jones then?

jameso

People buy stuff like this because they want to define themselves as being different to the crowd.

Thanks for telling me my own mind.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Even I’m getting confused now.

So owning a Jones isn’t about speed. It isn’t about smoothness. Or technical ability. It isn’t about where you ride or whether you’re Amish or not.

It’s about defining yourself?

What as? Niche?

grum
    Free Member

Thanks for telling me my own mind.

I’m obviously not saying this is the only factor for every single person who buys a Jones. This is a pretty commonly recognised thing in psychology/branding etc though, I’m not just making it up.

Any of this sound familiar?

For younger, more democratic luxury consumers, “exclusivity” has negative connotations of snobbery and manufactured scarcity. Exclusivity for its own sake is not what the growing market of young luxury consumers value. What they prefer, according to Danziger, is “an exclusiveness derived from the ability to express a personal point of view, an attitude and one’s uniqueness.”

The luxury brands that have been most successful in their use of social and mobile media marketing have recognised the importance of the “new exclusivity” and have build their digital presence around their customers’ strong emotional connections to – and identification with – that brand.

http://www.tamba.co.uk/blog/why-luxury-brands-should-embrace-social-media-tamba-kay-hammond/

jameso

So owning a Jones isn’t about speed. It isn’t about smoothness. Or technical ability. It isn’t about where you ride or whether you’re Amish or not.

It’s about defining yourself?

What as? Niche? I’m taking this as geniune but it’s hard to tell now ) and answering as it’s a subject that interests me, the bike, the reactions etc. ie rather than evangelism.

It is about speed. The ti SF can be very effective for long distance rides. It’s a very quick bike on my local Chilterns loops.

It is about smoothness – I like micro-tech, ie making a section of roots a test of hops or manuals, linking little transitions, playing around on the features. Any bike can do that but rigid makes it feel more precise and rewarding to me. The bike’s geometry does encourage a smooth, flowy riding style that suites 29er / SS, more so than others I’ve ridden. The SF adds a springy smoothness too but that’s a small part of the package imo.

It is about technical ability too, the Jones almost makes a mockery of other rigid bikes in technical situations. I don’t think there’s many bikes out there I can ride for 100+ miles as well as performing so well technically. I rode some slo-mo rocky tech in the PDS area that I found easier than on a susser a couple of years earlier. As the speed went up I struggled more but I’m ok with that compromise since I’m often riding tired and take less risks then.

And most importantly it does feel fun and involving no matter what I do on it, I never get bored of riding it. That’s unusual, I do ride a lot of different bikes as well as spend a lot of time working on more commercial/normal bike designs as a day job and the Jones appeals to me both as a bike rider and designer.

tazzymtb

Strange old one this. I don’t understand the concept that people would want to define themselves as “different” by the bike they ride? I have owned some truly fantastic bikes from super expensive sily light xc race bikes through to top end high tech full suspension. The bikes I like are the ones that make me enjoy my riding the most. If the bike that put the biggest smile on my face was a hardrock or carrera from halfords, I’d ride that and be over the moon. A Jones is a bike that makes me smile like an idiot every time I ride it. The looks or other preconceptions about nich ego chariots don’t come into. I would never ride shite just to prove a point? Why sully my enjoyment?

ojom
    Free Member

For younger, more democratic luxury consumers, “exclusivity” has negative connotations of snobbery and manufactured scarcity. Exclusivity for its own sake is not what the growing market of young luxury consumers value. What they prefer, according to Danziger, is “an exclusiveness derived from the ability to express a personal point of view, an attitude and one’s uniqueness.”
    The luxury brands that have been most successful in their use of social and mobile media marketing have recognised the importance of the “new exclusivity” and have build their digital presence around their customers’ strong emotional connections to – and identification with – that brand.

In Leith, a mans head just exploded clean off his shoulders.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think I’m getting it…

As mentioned, I ride a Five (slack, dropper, wide bars – basically everything someone who works in IT could ever need) and a Curtis S1.

In all situations I’d bet the Five was quicker. Its a great bike to ride and for most of my riding its absolutely perfect. A great mix of being able to cope with long days in the saddle and 60 minute hacks from my doorstep through the woods chucking myself down as many silly things as possible.

But sometimes I want something different. Generally when I’m on my own and I just want to ride. So out comes the Curtis and despite being the polar opposite to the Five, its an absolute blast to ride.

Would I swap them both for a fully rigid 29er? I very much doubt it – for my riding I think I’ve got all my bases covered. A bike that rides all day and descends brilliantly and a bike that is built just for being a bike – no frills but built with love and that love shows in the ride quality.

Maybe thats it, the ride quality instead of faster/gnarly/comfort etc? Am I getting there? Do I win a prize?

jameso

grum, if I wanted to express myself widely I’d have a blog or use FB.. I’m not part of the ‘millenials’ social media generation. I’d not spend all my valued riding time on a bike that was chosen for image, that would be stupid huh. Fair enough if you’re riding a fixie in shoreditch.
    I think I’ve said all that’s worthwhile on why I like what I ride, it’s simply positives about a relatively unique bike that some are interested in. I hope it’s clear that I couldn’t care much less about what you or anyone else rides as long as they’re happy on it.

Am I getting there?

yes

Do I win a prize?

no )

EhWhoMe

if ya like them and can afford it or want to spend that much buy one..

but the being different thing is odd, given other people have them aswell , so what happens is your not different at all, and in fact just the same as the other different people who turn out to be not that different.

If i ride a trek and you ride a jones is it not me who’s different..mmmm wait no because there are other treks ..seems we are all the same but different and it is in fact just a bike and if you try to be different your missing the point of being err different…

reet back to me coffee..just normal nescafe like not some bolivian niche coffee blended from goats hair and wd40..

charliedontsurf

grum – Member

So again, almost certainly friendly banter from the people on ‘bland’ bikes (no snobbery implied there eh) is taken far too seriously. They have no class because they don’t know about a niche bike brand? Hmmm….

They had no class because they were adults taking the piss out of a 15 year old on a start line. Nowt wrong with driving a Astra or riding a cube, but pulling up in a Astra and mocking someone who has a Westfield makes the Astra owner look like a cock.

It’s just rude, and shows no class.

Kids get nervous on start lines, lining up with grown ups on bikes they could never afford… and taking the piss is poor form.

Rather than… “What’s that your grans shopping bike?” I would suggest a ” that’s a curious bike… What’s the story with the tubes, what’s the design concept going on here?”

Engaging with kids on start lines can be of benefit to the kids: a few encouraging words, make them feel welcome. Or it can be a narrow minded piss taking to make yourself feel better in front of your mates, a sort of verbal masturbation, its entirely for your own benefit, no one else will enjoy it.

You can be generous, or you can be a cock.

That sportive was a bit of an eye opener for me, as are most normal events. I dwell in a world where curiosities are the norm. I am reminded that many cyclists do buy bikes from halfords, have never heard of a 29er, a fat bike, a jones etc.

Grim is on to something above… Brand perceptions. I had a 15 year old tell me he would not ride a salsa preferring a “more well know make of bike”.

People really do care about brands, but with Jones it’s all about the ride, almost no one buys a Jones to show off… It’s a crap way of showing off or being different… no one knows what it is. Get a well known brand if you want to show off… Cannondale or cube, or boardman, or carrera, or mongoose etc.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with driving a Astra

Well, you say that but… 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Branding is part of how something is, it can’t be taken out once put in**. That’s as true of JJ as it is of the other brands Charlie lists. (Hey Charlie knows about brands – he is one! And didn’t I read on your site once you did a marketing degree?).

But so what if someone chooses, or rejects, something by the brand? Why are other people getting so steamed up about it?

** this penny dropped when I saw a doc once where a pretty young woman had married an old rich bloke, it may have been Hugh Hefner. Someone asked the guy “but really you married her for her looks didn’t you?” and he said “partly yes of course, it’s part of how she is, what am I supposed to do, ignore it?”

timbur
    Free Member

Do I need to add a RELIGION to my passport now I’ve bought a Jones?
    Am I only semi religious as I own a Trek and a Cannondale as well?
    Can someone tell me what to do as I’m just trying to be like everyone else on here.

Tim (with beard, without skill, happy)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘Jones: Worth selling rest of your bikes for?’ is closed to new replies.