Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Job offers wihtout an interview
  • raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’ve had a few recruiters looking out for roles for me.

One of them has just contacted me, a reputable recruiter, with an offer from a well known life sciences company – double what I am on now and 5 grand to help me **** off to Europe – no questions asked.

Offer in writing and contract.

The ****?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

footflaps

Your new boss….

perchypanther
    Free Member

5 grand to help me **** off to Europe – no questions asked.

I can throw another fiver in if it’ll swing it.  😉

psling
    Free Member

Did you have to do a spelling test or anything?

wwaswas

Seriously – I’d offer someone I knew and had worked with previously a job without an interview.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I just started a new job 3 weeks ago.

I had to undergo  the most cursory interview ever to tick a box on an HR process but I was told I had the job before I went.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Did you have to do a spelling test or anything?

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think I went about 10 years and a few roles/companies without an interview, if your just doing technical and they want you it can be all that is needed.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Seriously – I’d offer someone I knew and had worked with previously a job without an interview.

I’m looking into this, but I would have expected contact through LinkedIn or by email.

I’m confused, either it’s a scam or someone in HR made a mistake. That or the Hostel series were actually documentaries.

gobuchul
    Free Member

£5k to relocate to Europe is pennies.

I would guess the real cost would be closer to £25k.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Maybe for you mate.

I’m the type that can sleep in a ditch though. No car, no mortgage etc.

I once spent 3 months living in a nun convent without them knowing I was there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can I come too?

wwaswas

I once spent 3 months living in a nun convent without them knowing I was there

Missed the raptor like attention of the birds of pray?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I once spent 3 months living in a nun convent

That sort of thing is easy, once you get in to the habit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

With contracts it’s mostly been an informal chat (coffee shop meet up etc), just talk about the work they need doing, are you interested and can you start on it tomorrow? Been a few now where it’s someone I know.

Only one with a full on interview, panel style, and even chucked in “where do you see yourself in five years time?”… WTF! For a contract job? ! (and this was also someone I’d worked with before).

From a recruiter though? They always want me to go with an interview, if not with the client, with them.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Nahhh man, except for the female students living there – they were all old and batty enough not to notice much.

TImed leaving in the morning when they were at prayer, timed sneaking in when they were at prayer.

I still think this is some kind of ruse to kidnap me for some Hostel type arrangement.

Moses

Depends on your role.

Are you science or sales/marketing / manufacturing.?

If the former, you may have a published history which makes you attractive, or pehaps the Eu company section head has heard you or met you at a conference etc,

Ask to speak to your new boss.

In sales, if you’re moving to a competitor & have a good record or make lie awkward for them, that might be all they need.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Just don’t make a habit of it.

DT78
    Free Member

Quick to hire.  Quick to fire

How up shit creek would you be if they sacked you 2 months after you relocated?

benp1

Interviews are 2 way – it’s your opportunity to know who you’re working for and see if it’s right

I’d not take a job without an interview unless I knew the individuals well

FuzzyWuzzy

Whereabouts in Europe? Somewhere like France, Germany or Spain I’d look into it further. Somewhere Eastern European I’d probably skip it…

footflaps

That sort of thing is easy, once you get in to the habit.

very good!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

How up shit creek would you be if they sacked you 2 months after you relocated?

Very little really. If I was going to do it, I’d try and badger them down to 1 day a week remote and fly in on a Monday morning or a Sunday night because **** the planet! The flights aren’t much more than commuting would cost if I lived outside London.

mahalo

yeah happens a lot, maybe not to those extremes but the companies often have a good relationship with recruiters and and trust their judgement, especially if they need manpower quick.

id probably do a couple of months commuting to make sure its alright before fully relocating. see if they will pay for digs / travel too…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

maybe not to those extremes

Is Brexshit to blame for this insanity as well?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

<div> @perchy

I just started a new job 3 weeks ago.

I had to undergo  the most cursory interview ever to tick a box on an HR process but I was told I had the job before I went.

</div>

You are the new Brexit Secretary and I claim my £5.

matt_outandabout

I once spent 3 months living in a nun convent

Is there any other type of convent?

And define ‘in a nun.…’?

OP – depends on your level of trust in the company. Ask them for a visit to your new site of employment. After that, as a young, free, single who lives in a ditch, get out there.

Send us a postcard..

Moses

What company is it?

I sold to bioscience companies in the EU for many years, so may well have had dealings with/knowledge of them

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Not single, so I’d definitely be commuting, as the other half works in the city. I’m inclined not to share the companies details after the Cotic thread incident, I can do my own scoping but thanks for the offer Moses.

orangespyderman

Personally I wouldn’t do it without an opportunity to talk to the people I’d be working for before I committed.  At least in France there is a mutual trial period, but it’s a lot of effort to get that far only to figure it won’t work.

If the risk is low for you, then it may be worth a punt, but in my opinion it’s that: a punt.

therealthing
    Free Member

I think I’ve seen the film.

oldtennisshoes

I’m very much in the try before you buy camp as a contractor – I need to spend at least a couple of days on your site before committing.

Nico
    Free Member

Your new boss

cornholio98
    Free Member

I am in my job without any interview… working for a mate I used to work with though

seems like this is normal for where I am. If they see someone vaguely competent in a role nearby they offer them some cash to switch sides

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My son recently did this type of thing. Asked a mate on FB if there was any jobs going at her Dads haulage firm, gets a message to go for an ‘informal chat’ on Monday, gets told on Tuesday that he’s got the job, then thinks, ‘WTF was the actual job that I didn’t ‘actually’ apply for?

Turns out It’s a logistics/transport manager type thing, so happy-ish days.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Is there any other type of convent?

Only an unconventional one

Harry_the_Spider

I got offered my current job after an “informal chat”. They had done a bit of homework on me though.

branes

The only scenario I can think of where this makes sense is an ex-colleague who can’t approach you directly for contractual reasons has used a recruiter to do the dirty work. Possible?

chewkw
    Free Member

I’ve had a few recruiters looking out for roles for me.

One of them has just contacted me, a reputable recruiter, with an offer from a well known life sciences company – double what I am on now and 5 grand to help me **** off to Europe – no questions asked.

Offer in writing and contract.

The ****?

Your recruiters have possibly interviewed you without you knowing coz head hunters (not those from my region) do that sometimes.

Probably they have done a good job by “selling” you to the other company.  On paper you probably tick all the boxes then hence they other company is willing to hire you.   Head hunters depend on the quality of people they can find for companies and if they simply supply Tom, Dick and Harry then their reputation will be affected.

If you have said what you can do and you cannot do it then you will loose the job anyway …

Many years ago when I work in a tech company, I used to get plenty of headhunters approaching me to supply the right people, and if they supplied me sub-standard quality candidates then they can kiss goodbye to the relationship.

If the contract is legit then I see no wrong coz some companies simply cannot be arsed to advertise, to interview and to spend time searching.  It is much cheaper to get headhunters to search for the right people.

As long as the contract is legit and the company that offer you the job is legit, I see no problem whatsoever.  Question is can you deliver?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Job offers wihtout an interview’ is closed to new replies.