Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Jeremy! Vine! … gets cut up by a driver and deals with it very well
  • anagallis_arvensis

I saw that and agree, even starting to relax my dislike of his voice!!!

TBH, when it happens to me on the odd occasion a driver apologises it usually diffuses me as well.

leffeboy

I’ll bite.  He does deal with it well and was kind but she was slightly ahead of him and indicating left. He absolutely had right of way but for me I would have preferred to hold back slightly as cars are often muppets (actully given the was no actual hit he probably did anticipate it)

Daffy

Nice to see Surrey police step in and clarify that the driver is ALWAYS at fault in this situation as they are the ones that are turning. Highway Code rule 182 and 183.

Awesome. We need more police commentary and clarification on social and national media likes this.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ll bite. He does deal with it well and was kind but she was slightly ahead of him and indicating left

Yep, he admits that by saying he was distracted by a car ahead. Any experienced commuter would be disappointed to get in that situation but it will have happend to most at some point. I got doored once too, how stupid of me, it happens though.

bsims
    Free Member

They also do this kind of thing when reversing and 3 point turns. Drivers are conditioned that everyone has to get out of their way.

Presumed liability and punitive fines are the answer and add front and rear facing cameras to the list of things which must be fitted to all vehicles at point of sale. They might be more careful if they know their own vehicle will dob them in

I would have preferred to hold back slightly as cars are often muppets

You are correct for your safety, see my second sentence above. However we really shouldn’t have to do this, I bet she wouldn’t have done that to a equal sized or larger vehicle.

dc1988

It’s the driver’s fault but I bet most people in her situation would likely have done the same. Not because they are necessarily bad drivers but they aren’t as aware of cyclists as they should be, it’s not something we are taught about and not something we would encounter often.

anagallis_arvensis

Not because they are necessarily bad drivers but they aren’t as aware of cyclists as they should be

If most drivers would do it then most are bad drivers, which is a position I wouldnt really disagree with.

it’s not something we are taught about

Mirror
    Signal
    Manoeuver

Pretty much covers it.

martinhutch

The full segregated cycle lane with higher speeds creates a different sort of hazard at junctions that some not-so-competent drivers are not used to dealing with. Cyclists can get into the blind spot even after the normal check, so she needed to check two or three times as she was approaching her turn. Rather than just removing the separator in the run-up to the junction, there should be some kind of marked give way (for cars).

Daffy

Mirror
    Signal
    Manoeuver

Pretty much covers it.

That’s just it, though. Even if she’d done all of this, she’d still not have seen him. It should be:

Mirror,
    Signal,
    Check blind spot,
    Manoeuvre,

He was definitely in her blind spot, but at one point had been alongside/ahead of her so she should have been aware he was there. Regardless, if she and others would do a blind spot check, dooring, left hooking, etc wouldn’t occur. The code needs changing/clarifying.

stumpyjon

She was wrong, clearly made a mistake, was genuinely upset by her mistake and Vine handle it well. She might even become a better driver. I’m not sure the segregation helps, makes the cyclist feel safe and the driver probably doesn’t associate the cyclist being on the road due to the height of the barrier. If cycle lanes are to be segregated kerb are the way to go.

The black car on the other hand, utter ****, clearly didn’t see the cycle lane as real, absolutely no need to be where it was, bit like the idiots who stop in the middle of the advanced stop zones for cyclists.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I think the driver was more in shock, thinking “OMG, it’s Jeremy Vine!” 😆

Seeing the roads get busier again after lockdown is making me think increasingly about two https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/ and https://www.merlincycles.com/hornit-db140-cycle-horn-56101.html

Konastoner
    Free Member

For me I see it very different, Highway code is explicit on always give priority to the right and the vehicle behind has duty of care to prevent accidents.
    JV should have anticipated the left turn and braked especially as the silver car was indicating left. Its clear to me he knew what was happening / unfolding and had no intention of preventing it, using the black car pulling out as a distraction is just an excuse for his own failure to anticipate. From the cars perspective the cycle way is obscured by the barriers, no signage and could easily be mistaken for roadworks. If you stop the video at 12 seconds JV has now merged with the road and behind the car therefore the cycle lane protection is no longer in force, JV is at fault and TBH a bit of an arse for publicising this. However he is a journo after all and thrives off controversy

fingerbang
    Free Member

“cats! Maybe cats operating in gangs”

bsims
    Free Member

Highway code is explicit on always give priority to the right and the vehicle behind has duty of care to prevent accidents.

So are you saying a car can cut across from the middle lane of a motorway or outside lane of deal carriageway to leave a a junction?

That is the equivalent here – the car overtook and then turned left across a live lane without checking what was in that lane.

andylc
    Free Member

Its not the easiest set up for drivers or bikers from what I can see, with the barrier separating the two. Also Jeremy caught up with the car so considering it was already indicating, it would have been more sensible to hold back, bearing in mind he was likely in her blind spot. I think it’s technically the drivers fault but JV didn’t help by speeding up and catching her up as she turned left.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF JV does nothing until the last second even tho she was indicating for a while.

Not up to him to prevent the accident in law though.

And “give way to the right” WTF?

stumpyjon

Actually watching that again he is effectively undertaking a car indicating to turn left, still don’t think the barriers help, give the cyclist the illusion of protection and then take it away at the most dangerous point.

Daffy

Give way to the right does not apply here. It’s for intersections not parallel lanes. The Highway Code is clear. Rule 182 states:

“ Turning left
    Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle.”

She was in the wrong – the police agree. JV could (perhaps) have avoided it. Just because his camera sees everything, doesn’t mean he does.

andylc
    Free Member

She didn’t overtake before turning left though – he was behind her and caught her up.

csb

I’m with @stumpyjohn here, the barriers give cyclist false safety, till they stop and leave them exposed, and give the drivers a sense of permission to turn off! Bonkers.

Daffy

She didn’t overtake before turning left though – he was behind her and caught her up.

And yet she should still have checked that nothing was coming up the inside before turning left. She didn’t. The rule has 3 parts:

1. Indicate.
    2. Don’t overtake
    3. Check before turning.

CountZero

It’s very easy to miss things in blindspots, I’ve driven close to 170,000 miles over the last five years, over 100,000 in two of those years, and still nearly side-swiped a van as I pulled out to overtake on the M5 once, I’d glanced over my shoulder, and looked in my mirror, but it was completely hidden by the wide ‘B’-post of what I was driving. Made me jump when I heard his horn right by my right ear! 😊

derek_starship
    Free Member

I think JV created that situation after being ticked off about the black car obstructing the cycle lane.
    It’s like asking somebody to punch you in the chops and then saying “what the hell?”

leffeboy

The thing I like most in my car is the blind spot checker that will flash if there is something there. Even as someone who checks and checks again it is easy to miss.  Thankfully no-one was hurt

On the barriers I’m conflicted.  We’ve just had a number of new painted cycle lanes put in in Brussels and on one of the faster sections there are no barriers.  It’s going to make it feel more dangerous when riding next to the traffic but at the junctions I feel safer rather than popping out from behind a barrier

Cougar

Mirror,
    Signal,
    Check blind spot,
    Manoeuvre,

This. A little flashing light does not grant you automatic passage.

They teach this shoulder-check when learning to ride a motorbike, it’s called a “life saver.” I’ll leave considering why it’s so named as an exercise for the reader. It really should be included when learning to drive.

For me I see it very different, Highway code is explicit on always give priority to the right

Do some reading or get off the road.

anagallis_arvensis

They teach this shoulder-check when learning to ride a motorbike, it’s called a “life saver.”

True, however when doing the mirror bit you need to do it with enough care and enough awareness of surroundings to know if something could have been in the blindspot. Intetestingly when doing my advanced motorbike training I was told to not do a shoulder check when overtaking as you dont want to take your eyes off the forward view when potentially close to a car in front. The mirror checking should have been done and dusted before the final manoeuver.

andylc
    Free Member

I think anyone could have made that mistake with a cyclist catching them up and a barrier obstructing vision. Easy to be critical on a keyboard as you imagine yourself being a perfect and ever aware driver.

Daffy

I’m not saying I’m perfect, nor is anyone else and nor is anyone being critical from behind a keyboard, but in the eyes of the law, the driver is at fault. If more people understood that, then her/you/I would perhaps be more careful and less likely to make those kind of life threatening mistakes.

That’s all. No malice, no righteousness, just facts.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not saying I’m perfect, nor is anyone else and nor is anyone being critical from behind a keyboard, but in the eyes of the law, the driver is at fault. If more people understood that, then her/you/I would perhaps be more careful and less likely to make those kind of life threatening mistakes.

That’s all. No malice, no righteousness, just facts.

Yep

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Check blind spot,

The advanced driver courses have actually taught not to do this more recently. If you can’t see what you need to in the mirrors you haven’t got them set right (hint, you don’t need to see the side of your own car in them, that’s not going to hit you) and it takes your eyes off the space you are moving towards. Same thing with the most recent motorcycle course I took.

The Highway Code is clear. Rule 182 states:

What about 72 iirc which states a cyclists must not go up the inside of an indicating vehicle at a junction or side road.?

The problem is when you introduce the artifice of a segregated lane, without adjustjng the rules and good practice. If I can stick my car right next to the kerb, you can’t get into the problem spot. With a bike lane I can’t physically prevent another user going into the danger place, so what should happen?

Daffy

In this situation Rule 182 supersedes Rule 72 as the car is the one making the manoeuvre and thus the onus is on the driver to make sure that it is safe to do so.

anagallis_arvensis

Watching the video has actally made me order a camera, I reckon having a camera might stop me from acting like a petulant angry 5 year old!

anagallis_arvensis

With a bike lane I can’t physically prevent another user going into the danger place, so what should happen?

Wait for the bike.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Jeremy! Vine! … gets cut up by a driver and deals with it very well’ is closed to new replies.