Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Jeremy Kyle!
  • jekkyl

In light of the recent death from a participant, who looks likely to have killed himself.
    Is the show:

A. A programme which exploits the most vulnerable, socially disadvantaged, financially poor, low intelligence members of society and baits them for the purposes of entertainment.
    or
    B. An entertaining show which allows members of the public to resolve their grievances with friends and family members?
    🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Klunk
    Free Member

everytime and i mean everytime, when flicking through the channels, it comes to his show he’s always shouting at someone.

binners

A judge who was ruling on the last case where something like this happened (an assault rather than a death) described it as ‘the modern equivalent of bear baiting’

DezB
    Free Member

A programme which exploits the most vulnerable, socially disadvantaged, financially poor, low intelligence members of society and baits them…

Baits them? Surely you mean the people who watch it?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

A,
    And
    C, a chance to laugh, and take the piss out of, people less fortunate than yourself.

Kryton57

No Dez, i believe its true that the shows researchers activity go and seek people to put in front of us.  So yes, bear baiting.

brakes
    Free Member

The answer is clearly A. But if the same demographic that are being exploited are also those that are being entertained, does it matter?

bikebouy
    Free Member

A, and the production company that own and deliver it exploit the public for the programmes ratings.. as in keep the topics more raw and decisive means more people will watch it and so on..

About time this shit is stopped IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

i believe its true that the shows researchers activity go and seek people to put in front of us

Uh… How else would they find them?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

About time this shit is stopped IMO.

plus many of the reality shows and also EastEnders…

We could do with a better sport than football as our national sport as well…

oikeith

Saw something doing the rounds from Katie Hopkins which wasnt complete rubbish, along the lines of 16 series of JK and one suspected suicide vs 4 series of Love Island with 2 suspected suicides but only one of them has been cancelled.

edhornby

Needs to be removed permanently from the telly in all forms. some of the MEN journos have been mentioning on twitter just how low the ‘researchers’ stoop to get contestants. truly vile. The poorest in society are targeted to appear precisely because the money offered is significant to them but the mental health fallout isn’t addressed fully by the telly shows despite their claims. No different to Love Island etc.

It’s not ok to laugh at another persons misfortune, remember the rule ‘Don’t be a d 1ck’

FuzzyWuzzy

How they get away with the 97 or 98% accuracy claim on lie detector tests is beyond me, that comes from a very flawed study by the association of polygraphers or whatever they’re called and has no basis in reality. If it comes out he topped himself after a false positive result I hope they at least have to read something like “this test is a bag of shite for entertainment value and is not a conclusive as to someone’s guilt or innocence” every time they refer to the tests in the show.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Carol Catwalladr wrote about him years ago VIA HERE

There are other articles from people who worked there about how they wanted people who were just disturbed enough … prozac, not lithium for example. If they expressed an interest they’d keep calling them back chasing more information and stories. Then they put them in a hotel room with a free bar, call them through the night to keep them on edge, and wind them up in the green room with “What X just said about you”. Then they sometimes promise help but put them in a taxi home with nothing.

If half of what people have written is true some people should be in jail.

I didn’t even realise they used lie detectors, but if they led anyone to make important decisions on the basis of that pish, they deserve more.

DezB
    Free Member

BTW Kryton, I meant the same thing as brakes. I didn’t express it quite so well.

db

Firstly I feel sorry for the loved ones of the person who has died.

It’s a sad reflection on our society that we find this entertaining. I’ve never watched JK or Love Island for that matter but understand thousands do. However I was reflecting over lunch and think maybe is it just an extension of “you’ve been framed”, are we just programmed to enjoy the misfortune of others? A lot of us would watch ‘fail’ videos on youtube and laugh at others. I will not miss JK if its taken off our screens but I’m not sure how and where we draw the line.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s not ok to laugh at another persons misfortune

It’s not always misfortune though, it’s how people in that ‘sector’ of society behave – just because you are poor doesn’t mean that you have to go round sleeping with every easy lay you can find, and then lie and cheat in attempt to conceal your duplicitous lifestyle from everyone involved. That seems to sum up most of the ‘life stories’ I have accidently seen on there.

Vile show though, whatever.

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s not always misfortune though, it’s how people in that ‘sector’ of society behave – just because you are poor doesn’t mean that you have to go round sleeping with every easy lay you can find, and then lie and cheat in attempt to conceal your duplicitous lifestyle from everyone involved. That seems to sum up most of the ‘life stories’ I have accidently seen on there.

I’m sure you can find people in every “sector” who behave like that if you wanted to. But they seem to only want to stigmatize the lower echelons of society.

butcher

I’m sure you can find people in every “sector” who behave like that if you wanted to. But they seem to only want to stigmatize the lower echelons of society.

I’m sure it happens in all walks of life. However, I would hazard a guess that many people find themselves in poor circumstances partly as a direct consequence of their poor decision making and own vulnerability, insecurities, mental-illness, etc. Class or sectors of society have little to do with it, these are generally people who need a step up in life, regardless of their background, and what they get from TV shows like this is the exact opposite. It amazes me things like this still exist in modern society. But then we also have Donald Trump and Brexit.

It’s easier for us to laugh at them though once they’re de-humanized, or put into a different ‘sector of society’ of which you don’t consider yourself to belong.

Nico
    Free Member

Kyle is such a pompous prick, but I suppose he is playing a role. I heard that Jerry Springer being interviewed and he’s much more respectable.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve never watched Jeremy Kyle or any of it’s ilk since an experience many years ago when I was at a mates house during the day waiting for the gas man to come and fix his boiler. We flicked through channels on the TV and got the Vanessa Feltz show.

Vanessa came tottering out on her wobbly heels and , in her best faux-concerned whisper told us that today’s show would be about the heartbreak of people whose partners had run away with members of the same sex despite  never previously having given an inkling of batting for the other side.

“This’ll be funny” we thought.

After ogling over the misfortunes of a few unfortunate women whose husbands had buggered off to Brazil with another bloke, Vanessa announced that her next guest would have to come on in disguise to protect his identity and that of his teenage daughter.

The camera cuts to a miserable looking guy sat on a stool , wearing a curly wig and Groucho Marx glasses / nose / tache combo.

My mate burst out laughing. …I didn’t.

“That’s Joe from next door!” I exclaimed in horror.

The next few minutes were awful as the realisation was battered into me that these are real people, with real lives and real problems who are being exploited for cheap tittilation.

It’s our fault for watching it.  Don’t. Even if you’re off sick. Watch CBeebies instead.

As long as people watch it, someone’ll keep making it.

Still can’t look Joe in the face, nearly 30 years later.

ThePinkster

I think this is a terrible story if the JK Show has in any way contributed to someone’s death.
    I have never seen it, have never wanted to and as someone who has dabbled a toe in the broadcast media in the past I think that this sort of TV is the lowest of the low and serves no real purpose other than to elevate those hosting it.

You’ve Been Framed is different, the subjects on that show are not exploited for entertainment, the videos are of accidents & misfortunes that could happen to anyone, not a specific group of targeted individuals.

When the Lovely Mrs.P retired the first thing I told her was that if I ever find she’s been watching Jeremy Kyle while I’ve been at work I’m getting rid if the TV.

So far we still have it so that must be good news.

ThePinkster

It’s our fault for watching it.  Don’t. Even if you’re off sick. Watch CBeebies instead.

Nah, it’s got to be Homes Under The Hammer for the go-to option hasn’t it?

slowoldman

Why do people want to take part?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why do people want to take part?

Beer, fags, a night in a Travelodge and a mistaken belief that they’ll get justice or closure.

Also, they get to be on the telly.

Sandwich

It’s televised bullying, nothing less.

Drac

It was only a matter of time before some so vulnerable was driven to this by that adult show and that excuse of human being.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I remember Jeremy Kyle saying in 2009 that he has OCD and has to lick things……which is also the last time I felt in any way sorry for him.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s our fault for watching it. Don’t. Even if you’re off sick.

As I found last time I was off sick, there’s no need for CBBs, Home Under the Hammer, Kyle or “I’ve Got Too Much Cash So I’m Buying Houses In Other Countries But Need To Be On TV To Show Everyone” – Netflix has plenty of stuff to watch without any of that moronic shite.

Nico
    Free Member

that excuse of human being.

I believe the usual term in these contexts is “oxygen thief”.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can’t & never could watch it. Not because of JK but because just a large % of participants reminded me of work.
    Not all, but a lot of them are pure scum, & when youv’e walked prison landings for 16 years, you can just tell.

convert

Those who take the production company’s coin to work on this show should be unemployable.

The viewing public who watch this crap also need to long hard look at themselves.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You are what you watch…

Brainz want to eat brainz…

Dracarys!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I remember Jeremy Kyle saying in 2009 that he has OCD and has to lick things……

It’s a shame he’s never licked anything with mains electricity running through it.

I know the people who go on that show aren’t exactly fine pillars of the community but the whole show is just an excuse for him to talk down to people less fortunate than himself, the bloke is an utter ****.

Hopefully it gets binned for good.

bodgy
    Free Member

That show has ruined my life.”

No mate; your life was a right old mess before you opted to air your dirty laundry in public.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Typical of modern day tv, always focusing on the negatives in life which just gives everyone a false sense of how the world is. Most people think the world is worse than it ever has been but ge reality is there have never been so many people living in wealth and so far few in poverty, progress is occurring at an astonishing rate globally, but you’d never think it. We’re all brainwashed and programmed by what we watch across all the various media channels we consume and despite modern technology we know less about the world than ever.

The people targeted on the show are victims, not of society but of their parenting and the way they’ve been brought up. All don’t buy all this privilege BS. Plenty of people in the middle classes and upper classes screw their lives up and are mentally and emotionally screwed by crappy parents and unhealthy relationships. But any overly negative thing on tv I tend Ron avoid including crap like this and especially Eastenders.

oldfart

To suggest that it’s only the poorest in society that behave like that suggests that rich people don’t? MPs, Lords Ladies? “Celebrities” Royalty don’t always cover themselves with glory do they? They just have more money to cover their tracks.

paladin

Jeremy Kyle!
    jekkyl

jekkyl = jeremy kyle ?

dissonance

Guardian has an interview with one of their victims, sorry, participants.
    Does seem to be consistent reports of the show deliberately putting them under stress to get the “best” results. The speed at which it happened seems interesting if true. No time to reconsider or think it through properly.

nickc

The partner of the dead man has also said that the show offered counselling and other mental health help, during and after the programme, from  the Sun story:

She praised Kyle’s team for their aftercare efforts adding that show reps repeatedly attempted to contact Steve following his appearance.

There have been two suicides linked to Love Island, which isn’t being aired this year, in “tribute” to the last death, but hasn’t suffered the same attacks that JK has, but is arguably just as exploitative. I personally think the show’s rubbish, but no one is forcing anyone to appear on it, and I don’t think anyone could not know what they’re getting themselves into.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Jeremy Kyle!’ is closed to new replies.