• This topic has 215 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 216 total)
  • #jennride 2021 Bikepacking Event South Lakes
  • postierich
    Free Member

Field has had a trim so everybody is on the main field, weather looking moist tomorrow but brightens up for the weekend! 4 entries still going 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m7stw4]205444167_10159734139391474_7177876341119487433_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m7nJje]202565692_10159734139206474_5918815669679986866_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m7rwtM]206039701_10159734139981474_3991609684106448649_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

stumpy01

Not this year, but am very tempted to get an entry in early for next year!

Vortexracing

Still here packing and unpacking :-(, deciding what goes where and probably taking wwwaaayyy too much stuff 🙁

looking fwd to it, decided against camping tonight so popping up the M6 tomorrow morning.

Looking good Rich 🙂

eskay

Just got to the camping field, wet and breezy at the moment! Is it too early for a beer?

postierich
    Free Member

Eskay keep the campers  on the boundary  down in 45

eskay

Everyone on the boundary at the moment Rich

martinhutch

Did you get there early enough to bag one of the four chairs? If so, my advice is, don’t get up, even to go to the toilet. 🙂

jkomo

Stunning morning in the lakes today, jealously watching the early Jenn riders buzz passed the big window in our Airbnb.
    Have a fab weekend.
    20 miles for us today once I’ve finally got some milk and the lazy bastards I’m away with get up.

postierich
    Free Member

He might have to let that settle for a bit before opening !

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m7MW6k]206487986_10159738032746474_4947273387250642282_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Everyones a winner including Tony

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m7Lpma]204164241_10159737333671474_8577919807642260921_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

tenfoot

Just sitting at the Britannia at Elterwater and a lot of riders here eating and drinking.

Having ridden the Bash today, and being a soft southerner, can’t imagine riding 100 miles over 2 days up here. Hats off.

martinhutch

He might have to let that settle for a bit before opening !

They were already stood around necking it at the bottom of the Colthouse descent. 🙂 He seemed to have acquired a lot of friends at that point.

I trimmed a few miles off today because 58 with nearly 9,000ft of climb yesterday left me properly trashed! My arse has also lost all of its resilience over lockdown. Off for a long soak now.

Thanks again, Rich, top event, well organised as ever. See you next year, hopefully.

AndrewL

Thanks Rich for organising.

I need to work out and thank whichever kind soul found my lost seat pack dry bag and then carried it to the pub.

I ended up getting my long suffering other half to meet me at little langdale and we did a tour of various passes and pubs until it was located.

I ended up doing a truncated version today so I did about 80 miles in total. Some lovely stuff over on the west side I hadn’t done before.

Lovely to see everyone and I hope all had a good ride

martinhutch

I need to work out and thank whichever kind soul found my lost seat pack dry bag and then carried it to the pub.

<waves>

No problem fella. Having the additional weight on the front of the bike was my excuse for dabbing twice on the descent to Seathwaite. Glad you got it back.

AndrewL

Thanks Martin, I conversely should have noticed how much suspiciously better mine was riding, and without any rub from the pack on the tyre……

Have sent a pm to try and send you some beer in way of thanks

whitestone
    Free Member

A few shots:

jennride

jennride

jennride

bivy

jennride

robbo1234biking

That seemed a tough route this year but I managed all 103 miles (on the gpx track I had). I hate bogs! Struggled with everyone of them!

Here are some pics from me.

Thanks @slowpuncheur for the company on the ride and plenty of knowledge of the route.

Nice to meet @mrhoppy and mrshoppy as well!

mrhoppy

Thanks @postierich really good event even if me and Mrs hoppy did mix and match things all over the shop. Great intro for her to bikepacking and I avoided being divorced which if I’d have taken her over Walna scar may have been a real possibility.

mrhoppy

Quite apart from the riding it was good to finally meet up with the legend in his paincave that is @robbo1234biking and @slowpuncheur. Robbo was looked just like his Zwift avatar thanks to @stumpy and his 3d printing too.

Mrs hoppy also had a chat with Barry G whose videos persuaded her to give bikepacking a go, completely oblivious to who it was.

Also big thanks to the Alpkit staff for food, drinks and cheers this morning.

dienamic

Thanks Rich for organising another amazing weekend! Hardest one yet, possibly because of the heat, but was a great route once again. We were just too late into langdale for food at any of the pubs so ended up riding into Ambleside at 10pm for a Chinese and delivering it back to our group in Elterwater! Had a big off this morning in the rocky stream at the far end of Rydal water, helmet did its job but is toast. We did the rest of the route albeit the last loop which we forgave for a blast down the 3 rivers as I could barely hold the bars by then.
    Just in from a+e and I’ve done the last 20 miles with a broken hand. I’ll be off the bike for a while, but will def be back next year!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Did the guy with the snapped titanium frame we saw near Hardknott get back to Staveley?

hopkinsgm

Thanks for organising Rich, hope all is cool with you and the farmer – he didn’t seem best pleased when he rolled up at the field on Saturday morning as we were leaving.

spandex_bob

Thanks Rich for all the work that must have gone into sorting such an awesome weekend. Completed the full loop, final descent was a great finale, and used up all life remaining in brakes, wrists and legs. Biking highlight of the year I reckon, anything else will pale in comparison.

eskay

Thanks for organising Rich, what a great event. Fist time riding in the Lakes for me (a bit lumpy isn’t it!!).

Camped a bit lower than I had wanted too and there were quite a few midges around, had too cook some food and dive in the tent as quickly as I could.

Bumped into a few riders on the way around, thanks for chatting if any of them were you.

Kept bumping into a group who seemed to be having a disproportionate amount of punctures/mechanicals (did the lad with the broken mech/hanger get back OK?)

That last 8 mile loop was absolute murder!!!

johnx2
    Free Member

(did the lad with the broken mech/hanger get back OK?)

nah I’m still the wrong side of Walna waiting on a 2022 sram delivery…

If that was me – going reasonable speed loose rocks, one randomly sending my mech into the spokes and crunch. Mech itself just snapped. Considered single speeding it but not for 50+ miles. Another of our party had just decided to bail with an old injury flaring really badly (but flogged solo to top of walna to deliver half a two-man tent first). I was able to roll down to Coniston, get a lift and we were home (well, in our local) by half nine, both very pissed off (word “off” being redundant from that sentence by closing).

Funny pic of me contemplating my bike with a face like absolute thunder at the moment my plans suddenly and radically changed. Just one of those things I guess, and first time I’ve been fully stopped by a mechanical in quite a few events etc (including previous jennride).

Huge thanks to guys who shouted after me “oi jennrider!” and bought me a beer in Consiton whilst I was dripping about waiting for a lift. Massive boost and it’s clearly my round 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Grand weekend, thank you @postierich. Made it round the whole thing with no great traumas – 75 miles on Saturday, a surprisingly long 25 on the Sunday (making us go over to Long Sleddale and back when Kentmere is SOOOO close to the camp site is surely against the Geneva Convention?)

First time in the mountains and only the second time riding away from home since Feb 2020. Some ace new descents (loved the drop down to Stephenson’s Ground and the last 2 off the Green Quarter), some truly abysmal climbs (tarmac out of Coniston was horrific, but managed it).

Big thanks to “Ben from Leeds” who bought me cake in Little Langdale.

Coffee wagon at the campsite a good start to the ride, but I missed the film festival the night before. Can’t be helped I suppose…!

Donation made!

Roll on next year.

djflexure

Another big thank you to Rich!!!
    Day 1 was brutal to Langdale but pleased to get past Wrynose and not start with it on day 2. Last time I did the event we started day 2 with the Walna climb from Newfield.

Set off before 7 and first stop was Coniston at 1pm. Saw 6 or 7 riders in total all morning. Joined the ‘pushing peloton’ up Walna after a long lunch. Finished the day with a headwind up Wrynose, before descending into Langdale completely knackered.
    Stayed at New Dungeon Gyll (sorry) ate and slept well.
    Day 2 was a lot more relaxed (starting with full English) but the last few miles went on forever and we were ready for the finish. Turned right at Kentmere.

Went round with my son and sharing the miles together is something I’ll always remember.
    Great to meet so many friendly riders out on the trails!

dazh

Thanks Rich. It’s still the best event of the year. Had some newbies with me this year who got round (minus a couple of bits), but think is was a bit of a shock to the system 🙂 The trails in Hebden/Todmorden must have been quiet at the weekend cos it seemed like everyone was in the Lakes.

nah I’m still the wrong side of Walna

johnx2 if that was you with the green bike I was one of the guys at the top of Walna when you got there. Glad to hear you got back ok.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

First Jennride for me, on both familiar and very unfamiliar trails. Thanks @postierich for a great route and a smoothly organised event. It was good to meet you. Harter Fell though: bloody hell, that was a push of epic proportions.

Was great to meet so many people, including the father and son we saw in Grizedale hoping to reach Langdale by the end of day one, the mad tandem boys and their knackered brakes coming off Walna, @mrhoppy and Mrs H and to ride with @robbo1234biking. It was a pleasure. Also bit shout to Alpkit Ambleside who were just brewing up the first coffee of the day as we passed. Just what was needed.

Perfect weather, great bivvy spot and 100+ miles and no mechanicals. If Carlsberg did bikepacking events…

martinhutch

Trying to work out which STWers I encountered now!

robbo1234biking

I think we might have ridden with you through Grizedale @djflexure. We rode with a father and son for a few miles.

benp1

@johnx2 – that was us you had a pint with in Coniston. Was a rubbish bit of luck to have your bike take a hit like that. We had some cracking pizzas after that pub just a few doors along

Very good ride, really enjoyed the bits we did. But having left late we took a few shortcuts and made it an easy, sociable ride enjoying some of the best of the local area. Weather was unbelievably good

Thanks for putting the event on, Rich

djflexure

@robbo1234biking – were you the one who took a photo of us overlooking Coniston (will try and post it)? We met in Grizedale and rode throught Tarn Hows together with you and your mate?

robbo1234biking

I think @slowpuncheur took the photo! Hope he got a good one.

djflexure

I have one of you too! Just working out how to upload – could take longer than the JennRide 🙂 !!

djflexure

Grizedale

robbo1234biking

Yep that was us! Cheers. Nice to meet you – think we have done a few TTTs together.

survivor

Did the guy with the snapped titanium frame we saw near Hardknott get back to Staveley?

I’m alive!

Pushed up then down Hardknott, got my photo taken with some amazed London based tourists who thought I was some sort of epic adventurer 😂, pushed along what I’m now calling death valley then up and down Wrynose. Finally got phone signal then a £50 taxi back to Staveley.

Cheers for saying hello 👍

What a weekend though….. Was class. More gutted I couldn’t carry on riding. Was loving it.

djflexure

Basecamp – ‘calm before the storm’
    Basecamp

Overlooking Coniston from Grizedale courtesy@slowpuncheur
    Coniston

Top of Wrynose
    Wrynose

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Hi @djflexure. That was us. Was good to meet you and your lad. I must confess to being only a little bit jealous of you two tucked up in a nice hotel room awaiting a full English. Was well earned though. You were pushing on..

martinhutch

Pushed up then down Hardknott, got my photo taken with some amazed London based tourists who thought I was some sort of epic adventurer 😂, pushed along what I’m now calling death valley then up and down Wrynose. Finally got phone signal then a £50 taxi back to Staveley.

In fairness, you were some sort of epic adventurer 🙂 . That could not have happened at a worse point on the route.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘#jennride 2021 Bikepacking Event South Lakes’ is closed to new replies.