Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • It’s definately cracked :-(
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

🙁

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what was it

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Giant VT2

Now stripped to the frame and ready to be dropped of at the LBS in the morning so they can start a warranty claim

sturmey
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like very good penetration round the back to me! Welders need to get good penetration.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

even form the surface that looks like an appalling bit of welding

nickc

Giant have a decent warranty programme though, right?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I had a VT crack there too. A Small frame?

nukeproof
    Free Member

Given they don’t do VTs anymore, what do you think Giant will replace it with? Trance X?

…or do they just have a stock of old frames for just such an occasion?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yep, small frame (the VTs always seemed to come up really large). you get yours replaced under warranty? I’ve seen some people say that they got newer frames as a replacement as Giant haven’t got any VTs left. A Trance would be nice!

Oh, and I agree that it’s an ugly weld – but it held for 4 years!

nickname
    Free Member

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Mine cracked on the last jump on the Inners XC course. It sounded like a bullet hit the frame, but I couldn’t see any damage, yet still rode gingerly across the carpark.

I cleaned the muck off the bike when I got home and found the crack. Giant did a straight swap for a new VT frame.

They might have one knocking around, but you might be in line for a Trance X or a Reign. I suppose it’s a choice between 5″ or 6″. We have both in our garage, and they both ride much nicer than the VT. I couldn’t believe how much better the suspension on the Reign was. Maestro is SO much better than Single Pivot.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Frame delivered to LBS. They are sending to Giant (who still have VT frames). The LBS seem to think it’ll be warrantied without issue :o)

thepodge
    Free Member

when i got my Marin replaced under waranty they sent me the closest thing they had laying around in the stockroom.

you might get a 09 frame replacement or you might just get a straight swap like for like.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Scott replaced my out of date Strike 30 (base model) with a Team Issue (top model) even though it was out of warranty. I like Scott

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

LBS called. Replacement frame has come in. It’s a Reign!

I’m really very excited 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Nice result…

Special_ized_Jamie

Amazing!

Make we want to Snap my 3 year old Specialized and see what they send!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Now, can I get it back home and built before tonights ride? Gonna give it a bloody good try

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did say Giant were a great bunch when it comes to warranty, didn’t I? Even so, that’s a great result! Much good karma to Giant!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Indeed you were correct Flash. People would be advised to remember this tale next time they think about rubbishing Giant!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Bloody hell, nice one :o)

MrSmith
    Free Member

people never seem to take into account the warranty when buying bikes. they seem quite happy to pay over the odds for boutique brands that often have little or no warranty, when a cheaper marin or giant will be 5 years or lifetime.

timbercombe
    Free Member

Nicely done. I love my Reign, they’re superb bikes!

therealhoops
    Free Member

I’ve seen pigeons crap neater than that welding!

adeward
    Free Member

it maybe have little to do with the weld,, the bolt is almost overhanging the weld so the load is directly over that point,, so most of the shock load is on that point,, if the bolt was in the center of the mount welded to the frame the the load would have been distributed over a much larger section of the frame tube

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well the VT, scrappy welding an all, held up for 4 years and the trance is a lovely looking thing, so I’m happy.

Travis

agreed with ade, Cheesyfeet did say he came off a jump when he heard it crack. Seems like a the weight went straight down through the area

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Arse, arse, arse.

Asked for some gear cables when I picked up the frame. Are these ‘full outers’? I asked. Yes was the reply.

No they sodding aren’t. Build suspended.

Went to halfords as it’s open. Do you have any full length outer gear cables? Urn, yes came the reply as the lad picked up cable cutters and went out back. He came back with nothing. We only have what’s on display. Those aren’t full outers’. Do you have a reel of outer that you can cut off some for me. We do, but we can’t sell it to you.

FFS.

Gonna go to a proper shop in the. Morning

Tonights ride stuffed now 🙁

alpin
    Free Member

what shop is your LBS cheesy?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The LBS in question is local for work, but not home.

It’s Spitalfields Cycle Surgery. Usually they are realy good in there, but they slipped up this time

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, Cycle Scurgery…

It’s got proper shit now. Both the back street original one, and the posh Spitz concourse one. The posh one is managed by a big ugly Neanderthal Saffa; how tf he got a job in a bike shop, I’ll never know. Not a good advert for healthy outdoors activity, that one.. 😯

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

’twas the back street one – for some reason I don’t really think of the ‘posh’ one as being a bike shop. It doesn’t really have a bike shop ‘vibe’

brakes
    Free Member

they may not have known what ‘full outers’ means – maybe they thought you were talking about your bellybutton

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The original one was great up until a couple of years ago.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

rubbish! just paint! get the tippex out and it’ll be fine!

(edit) oh erm… replaced, great stuff!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘It’s definately cracked :-(’ is closed to new replies.