Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • It’s all just a scam to sell you more tools!
  • nicko74

Over the last few weeks the creaking from my BB has been getting worse, so today’s task is to strip down the bottom bracket, clean the threads and re-insert it. I’ve got my Park tools BB spanner, allen keys etc.

First thing, take off the plastic tension cap with the end of the BB spanner. Remove the pinch bolts, and the pin thing, and the crank. Bash the axle through, all looks good.

Put the BB spanner on the bottom bracket and… weird, it’s a bit loose. Like 5mm too big.

****, turns out it’s a *different* BB tool I need, that fits the specific dimensions of the Ultegra bottom bracket. Which *isn’t* the same size as the Centrelock locknut, because why not buy another tool while you’re at it?!

Grr….

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

You get a plastic adapter with the shimano bottom bracket to fit in your bb tool, which then fits the bb.

I have a few in my toolbox. Send me your address and I’ll pop one in the post.

whitestone
    Free Member

Yeah, MTB HT2 cups now come in three different sizes 😒 “standard”, XT & XTR.

I tend to go with Hope BBs and they have so far stayed with the standard/original sizing for both road and MTB.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Unless you get the Hope BSA30 BB. That has a unique pattern and for a long while, there was only a spanner version and no socket tool.

I love new tools though.

coatesy
    Free Member

Just imagine being a professional mechanic, and having this happen with just about every tool you can think of. It’s a touch frustrating, I can tell you.

scotroutes

Can’t believe the bastards actually give you a free adapter with every BB

matt_outandabout

Meh.

I’ve a bike with an XT sized BB, normal size BB tool fits my front rotor and rear one takes old skool BB tool….

At least I get a free tool from Shimano each time now.

dovebiker

I have at least 4 sizes of HT-2 style BB tools but when I went to tighten a newly installed centre lock rotor, not one of them fitted!

wiggles
    Free Member

I finally got myself a tool cabinet for the garage, assigned a draw for “bike specific tools” then put them in there and realised I have hardly any really. Used to work in a bike shop so had everything I could possibly need so only needed the basics at home.

chestrockwell

I fell foul of this buying a XT bb. Due to it coming from CRC it didn’t have the tool either so is now sitting in my spares chest.

Fantombiker

I had similar issue. Had to buy a SRAM DUB BB, to go with a new SRAM crank. I’ve got all manner of BB tools and assumed one would fit. Oh no but wait, not SRAM DUB. Then had to spend another £30 on a blimmin’ BB park tool, I’ll use probably 4 times. It IS a ploy to sell more tools, with the companies assuming that once you’ve bought a tool you will stay with that standard. Same with brake bleeding kits!

globalti
    Free Member

To the OP: is it a BB30? I’m sick of typing out the explanation for the creak and how to solve it but if you’re interested post on here or PM me and I’ll tell you what to do.

simondbarnes

To the OP: is it a BB30?

If you’d actually read the OP you’d know that it isn’t.

nicko74

scott_mcavennie2

You get a plastic adapter with the shimano bottom bracket to fit in your bb tool, which then fits the bb.

I have a few in my toolbox. Send me your address and I’ll pop one in the post.

Thanks Scott, v generous, but I fell for the scam and ordered another BB tool… 😀
    To be fair, the BB is Ultegra, so fairly standard for road; not sure what standard the spanner I already have is for (but it also fits Centrelock).

To the OP: is it a BB30?

Don’t think so – it’s Ultegra BBR60 in a Ti frame, and creaking seems to be an annual thing. Any tips on preventing it much appreciated; I’m guessing “remove cups, check bearings look/ sound OK, clean all threads, copperslip, carefully insert and tighten, cross fingers it doesn’t creak”

rootes1

the new smaller shimano BB cup tool size is also the same as for the locking ring for their direct mount chainrings (MTB) and if you get a boxed crank, you get the tool in the box.

pnik

For what it’s worth I couldn’t get the shimano plastic adapter to fit in my standard bottom bracket tool, when I was trying to build a bike for a friend ended up buying another one and permanently fitting the adapter in the vice! Based on that experience I’m sticking to hope or cheaper shimano, put a Deore bb on my gravel bike with xt cranks!

malv173
    Free Member

The last XT bottom bracket I bough came with the adapter. I did realise I was buying a fully disposable thing though. I’ve recently moved to an Uberbike stainless steel BB, so now I’ll only have to replace the bearings, at least for a while. Not sure how long the cups last, but I’d imagine a fair while. Plus it’s the satandard HT 2 size.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I fell foul of this buying a XT bb. Due to it coming from CRC it didn’t have the tool either so is now sitting in my spares chest.

Raad this and panicked but the XTR BB I bought via CRC came the adapter. Was thinking about fitting it tomorrow so all is good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘It’s all just a scam to sell you more tools!’ is closed to new replies.