Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Istanbul: shoud stay or should I go….
  • FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Got a European science conference to go to in August. Need to register this week but my boss just sent me the Foreign Office Advice, which isn’t too appealing and has asked if I still want to go.

Anyone been to Turkey recently? Should I really be worried or is it just UK government propaganda?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Last time I was in Istanbul was 1982!!!

At that time they had Martial law. Soldiers patrolled the streets, and there was a curfew after dark. I remember a soldier pointing a gun at me and gesturing for me to move to the other side of the street. But, they were friendly soldier geezers who happily showed us that the guns were carrying live rounds!

That aside Istanbul is an amazing city.

I reckon go, but just be sensible.

SB

toby1

I have a friend living out there at the moment, she loves it and hasn’t mentioned the trouble at all (she’s a single white female btw so not a local).

gonefishin
    Free Member

What in that advice is making you nervous? The flu stuff is pretty general and could be applied to lots of countries, the terrorist stuff is mainly in Kurdish areas. Will you be anywhere near thos places?

There isn’t much that would stop me from going there unless it was proposed that I visit one of those provinces sepcifically advised against and even then I might still go.

JulianA
    Free Member

I have just read the FO advice, and then compared it with Greece and Belgium, countries we do know well.

The FO are not very complimentary about Greece or Belgium, either, and we’ve never had a moment’s trouble in either.

Admittedly the advice about Turkey is a little stronger but it would be interesting to hear what those countries have to say about security and safety in the UK… I’d wager it wouldn’t be very complimentary!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Istanbul: shoud stay or should I go….’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM