• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Milese.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Islabike recall 7200 bikes with faulty forks
  • thebunk

https://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/news/islabikes-issue-safety-warning-over-fork-failure/

All Creig 20, Beinn 24, Beinn 26, and Beinn 27 models purchased between 5th October 2019 and 16th May 2022 are affected.

ALL Creig 20’s are affected – this small mountain bike only launched in October 2019.

Islabikes are going to replace the forks on all affected models, but this will not take place for at least 5 months due to the need to manufacture replacement parts.

In the meantime they are offering a temporary “failsafe” or a replacement bike where possible, and a replacement or larger bike where not.

“manufacturing method for these forks is such that the steerer and crown are bonded together. It is this bond that has failed in the reported case.”

One reported case, but recalling 7200 bikes. Fair play to them 😕

footflaps

Going to be very expensive for a small business, even if the supplier foots part of the bill…..

Milese
    Free Member

I had the email last week.

“or a replacement bike where possible, and a replacement or larger bike where not.”

I wonder what this means, I’d like to swap the bike bought in 2020 for a bigger one! I’ve only been offered a fail safe bolt.

chiefgrooveguru

Thank you as I didn’t get the email!

thebunk

@Milese the article specifically says:

Those with a Beinn 24, Beinn 26, or Beinn 27 from the first two production batches will be offered a Beinn XS, Beinn S, or Beinn M, in exchange for their old bike whilst stocks last.

Not sure if that means you could swap a Beinn 24 for a Beinn S. If you have a Creig:

Due to the design of the Creig 20 there is no option for a fail safe to be fitted.  Instead Islabikes are offering Creig 20 customers an upgrade to a Creig 24 for £200, in exchange for their Creig 20.

Milese
    Free Member

Thanks, just read the article and seen that. Mine is Beinn 24 and I’ve no idea if in the first two batches or not.

I cant imagine how the fail safe will work – where will the 20mm bolt go?

Speeder

Very honourable – I guess they can’t mess around with other people’s “little ones” at stake, even if they do bounce.

Even if the supplier foots the bill for the actual part that’s a lot of logistics and customer service to account for. Hope it doesn’t do the business any harm, all our Islabikes have been great and the customer service outstanding.

TiRed

One reported case, but recalling 7200 bikes. Fair play to them

They don’t have any choice in the matter. Failed forks are always a recall issue. https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/recalls

I hope their supplier is insured. One presumes a longer ahead tensioning bolt and a cap under the fork crown is the failsafe.

Milese
    Free Member

One presumes a longer ahead tensioning bolt and a cap under the fork crown is the failsafe.

Its a 20mm bolt. Just looked at mine and it looks like there is a hole on the underside of the fork crown, but couldnt get a good look without taking the wheel and mudguard off. It would be completely bizarre if they had actually engineered a failsafe into the forks, putting a hole in the crown and threading the lower section of the steerer – almost like they were expecting it to happen?!

What is the failsafe Islabikes are providing?
    For bikes that allow it, Islabikes are supplying a retaining bolt which will act as a failsafe in the unlikely event that the bonding between the steerer and crown fails.

This can be ordered via the Islabikes website free of charge. The packet will include a 20mm stainless steel bolt with thread lock applied, a washer, an Allen key, and instructions. It’s a case of removing the existing bolt and replacing it as per the instructions.

They will start distributing these fail safes on Monday 27th June 2022, and once fitted a bike will be safe to ride.

chiefgrooveguru

Maybe the fork crown and steerer were bolted together whilst the glue was setting during manufacture, and the bolt then removed to save weight?

kully
    Free Member

I had the brand new replacement bike delivered yesterday.

Crap that this happened, but hats off to Islabikes for sorting it out so quickly.

juanking

Daughters bike affected, ordered via the link on Tuesday new bolt arrived Wednesday. Will be interesting to see if the forks replacement goes as slick.

Milese
    Free Member

I had the bolt delivered today. It is basically a longer bolt that goes through the mudguard mounting. I dont really get how the bonding must have worked but am sure they are right.

Kully, lucky b@$tard.

I emailed them asking for a replacement a few days ago and they declined as the failsafe will fit my bike.

My problem now is that having bought the bike for top money new on the basis that they hold their value, I dont think I can really sell it until the new fork is available in 5+ months, and she has nearly outgrown it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Directly from the article

Islabikes have confirmed on their website that the “manufacturing method for these forks is such that the steerer and crown are bonded together. It is this bond that has failed in the reported case.”

The crown is the bit where the two sides of the fork join together, and the steerer is the tube above this that allows the front wheel to turn, and fixes to the frame / handlebars. Bonding means these are “glued” together using an adhesive (rather than welded).

So, in a nutshell, the glue has failed between these two parts.

DickBarton

Assuming the failsafe is fitted, why couldn’t you sell it sooner?

scotroutes

I’m guessing that “failsafe” means it doesn’t prevent the break, it merely provides a backup to prevent a faceplant (or worse). If the replacement/fix is available to any new owner then that would help with resale value. Otherwise, why buy something you know might fail?

Ripley
    Free Member

I got the recall email. My daughters’ Beinn 24 is an early 2019 and qualifies for a replacement bike, which is handy as she’d need a new bike soon. There’s now a Beinn XS on its way.

I can’t fault the communication and a process that actually works. i.e. the email description of what should happen and what has actually happened have tied up (so far).

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone had success fitting the “failsafe” bolt?

Mine bent on first attempt, at a few mm insertion using their supplied hex key.

honourablegeorge

mattjg

Anyone had success fitting the “failsafe” bolt?

Mine bent on first attempt, at a few mm insertion using their supplied hex key.

mattjg determined to get that new bike 🙂

Milese
    Free Member

I’ll try it later!

mattjg
    Free Member

lol. no honestly I just want my rapidly growing daughter to be able to ride her bike while it still fits!

Milese
    Free Member

I hadnt heard anything more about this so followed up with them earlier in the week.

They are insisting that they ship me a cardboard box, I package bike, they collect it, fit new forks and return the bike to me.

They refuse to just ship me the new forks.

Its a massive faff considering the forks are probably absolutely fine, but better go through the motions…..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.