Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • WIN THIS BIKE! Is This The Best E-Bike Under £5k?
  • masterdabber
    Free Member

I had a read of this then went on to the Saracen website…. the warranty T&Cs never looked that attractive.

weeksy

Is second prize 2 Ebikes?

Northwind

Looks mostly pretty well thought out, that Exo rear tyre’s not going to cut it though. And is that a dual rather than a maxxterra on the front? I don’t see a 3c heatpatch, but that’s just an outright bad choice if it is.

Think the review asks the right question, is it worth skimping on the motor etc for better components, or is it better to go all in on the nonreplacable bits. Guess it depends on how good the motor’s manners are? As long as it’s well controlled etc it’ll be a smart compromise for normal people that don’t have upgraditis, for me I’d rather have the absolute best frame and motor and battery I could for the money and replace other bits over time

So actually that’s a review of the review not the bike. I was reading an MBUK review the other day and they’d swapped the forks, the wheels and the dropper post on a long term test bike and were describing that like it was normal, but how many owners really swap big parts like that unless they’re broken or absolute crap? Not many I think. If most owners will ride it as it came then that’s really important

oldfart

North wind that’s par for the course with their long termers , always felt that defeated the object , it’s not the same bike Joe Public buys is it ? 🙄

the-muffin-man

I’m still struggling with – five – yes five – thousand – pounds! – being mid range for a push-bike. 😳

tomhoward

While I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a motorbike (though I’m sure someone hysterical will), it’s more than just a pushbike.

And 5k is below where some ranges start.

argee

I’ve liked the look of the newer saracens, this ebike is a bit bulky, but looks decent for the money and what it’s aimed at, but, i see an ebike with a shimano motor and i’m avoiding it like the plague unfortunately, until they let third parties have the ability to service them i’ll stick with yamaha, bosch, brose, etc.

doomanic

it’s more than just a pushbike.

It’s got a Shimano motor, there’s a good chance you’ll end up pushing it at some point!

davosaurusrex

I think the Mondraker Crafty with the Bosch motor and under 200 miles for 2.5k I just bought would have to be in with a shout.

Yes, I know, I’m just quite pleased

ampthill

The big question is. Is attractive spec for the price worth not having a dealer to take it back to. My current opinion is that it’s a risk I have taken on an acoustic bike, but not an e-bike

That possesses an interesting question. Given that Masison has a dealer network. Should they offer the option of being able to pay more for bike bike and get it from a dealer?

I’m still struggling with – five – yes five – thousand – pounds! – being mid range for a push-bike. 😳

Yes it’s a lot of money. But from my reading of the spec that’s should be a good or very good bike with the addition cost of large battery, motor and controller.

desperatebicycle

the-muffin-man
    I’m still struggling with –…

I’m struggling with seeing the moronic comments you hear from non-cyclists in the office appearing on here.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’d not touch a Shimano motor. No ta.

Mark

Whereas I’d be more than happy with one.

hijodeputa
    Free Member

Do like the Saracens, love my ariel but wouldn’t buy a Shimano bike either. Can we have a review of that new Mantra mullet with a 36 on the front please? Looks mega

dyna-ti

2 pot brakes ? is this 1995 ?

stanfree
    Free Member

Not that im Biased but the cube stereo stereo hybrid 160 SL can be had for around £4200 . It has big battery , bosch motor , zebs and a decent drivetrain . I previously had the vitus sommet vrx for about £4800 which had an amazing spec but unfortunately a shimano motor which died twice in 235 miles so was refunded. The cube is unbeleivable , I ride the tweed valley and did about 5000 feet on climbing and 27 miles today and still had 20% left today .

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The cube is unbeleivable , I ride the tweed valley and did about 5000 feet on climbing and 27 miles today and still had 20% left today .

Pah, I did 9,500ft of climbing and 62 miles last weekend and came back with exactly zero left 🙂

Mark

WIN THIS BIKE! Enter at the end of this feature. And you can win yourself one! The Saracen Ariel 50E is more than the sum of considerable parts. Great …

By mark

Get the full story here:

Is This The Best E-Bike Under £5k?

ThruntonThrasher

I’ll agree to stop calling e-bikes motor bikes when I stop hearing bikes without motors being called acoustic bikes.

hardtailonly

Hmm. Just got an error message on trying to answer the question …

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.